Laws regarding polymer80 build

I’d also like to have my own custom serial number if I end up building something i really like. But not being a manufacturer, how would I get one?
Ask a Frequently Asked Question while @one-eyed Jack is logged in,
and he'll tell you how many other people have already had
the exact same question already answered before.

And there's your serial number.

It just one of the many services he offers on NES.

So I’ve gotten 3 different replies for the serial number:
N/A, NSN, none. Which one is correct?

I’d also like to have my own custom serial number if I end up building something i really like. But not being a manufacturer, how would I get one?
From reading on these forums, any of those are acceptable on the FA10..

If you want a custom serial number, make it up and put it on there.

If you are looking for GOOD information to legal questions, look for posts by Len-2A-Training. He's the local expert.

Either one is fine. There is no explicit guidance on how to register a P80. As long as someone can recognize it as a non-serialized firearm.

Regarding registration on EF-10. EF-10 is a transaction registration portal. Since there is no transaction taking place it can reasonably be assumed that no transaction is taking place when you make your own firearm. It's not a gun registry. If it was, the state would get sued in a heartbeat and the law requiring registration would get overturned. There hasn't been any legal precedent where an individual who is legal to possess a firearm has been charged with not-registering their homemade gun. Most charges where PMF(Personally-manufactured firearms) is in the picture are people who are not legally allowed to possess a gun or transfer/sell guns to someone who's not allowed to possess a gun.

Regarding serialization, when you serialize a gun, feel free to do whatever you want. That said, if you ever want to ever sell it via an FFL, it must be serialized to the ATF standard of serialization. If I were to build one, I'd serialize it just in case and make sure the SN looks like something that wouldn't raise suspicion. "GOBRANDON' and "KILLER" are bad examples of serial numbers. Again, SN is not needed if you intend to keep it. To be honest, I haven't seen many P80s make it to 5000 rounds before the frame gives up the "ghost"(see what I did there ;) ). If you think you can build it, shoot it your entire life and then pass it to your children, well, I don't think there is a record of these guns being long-lasting. The only P80 I know with a high round count belongs to my buddy who is an incredible craftsman and his P80 is tuned to the 9's. According to him, small frames(G43 clones) crack at the slide release after about 200-300 rounds. G19 frames are tough but have alignment issues and require more "tuning" to make a good gun from them. Only the new version of the G17 style seems to have all the kinks worked out.

Either one is fine. There is no explicit guidance on how to register a P80. As long as someone can recognize it as a non-serialized firearm.

Regarding registration on EF-10. EF-10 is a transaction registration portal. Since there is no transaction taking place it can reasonably be assumed that no transaction is taking place when you make your own firearm. It's not a gun registry. If it was, the state would get sued in a heartbeat and the law requiring registration would get overturned. There hasn't been any legal precedent where an individual who is legal to possess a firearm has been charged with not-registering their homemade gun. Most charges where PMF(Personally-manufactured firearms) is in the picture are people who are not legally allowed to possess a gun or transfer/sell guns to someone who's not allowed to possess a gun.

Regarding serialization, when you serialize a gun, feel free to do whatever you want. That said, if you ever want to ever sell it via an FFL, it must be serialized to the ATF standard of serialization. If I were to build one, I'd serialize it just in case and make sure the SN looks like something that wouldn't raise suspicion. "GOBRANDON' and "KILLER" are bad examples of serial numbers. Again, SN is not needed if you intend to keep it. To be honest, I haven't seen many P80s make it to 5000 rounds before the frame gives up the "ghost"(see what I did there ;) ). If you think you can build it, shoot it your entire life and then pass it to your children, well, I don't think there is a record of these guns being long-lasting. The only P80 I know with a high round count belongs to my buddy who is an incredible craftsman and his P80 is tuned to the 9's. According to him, small frames(G43 clones) crack at the slide release after about 200-300 rounds. G19 frames are tough but have alignment issues and require more "tuning" to make a good gun from them. Only the new version of the G17 style seems to have all the kinks worked out.
You are nuts and you're going to get the op a nice long stay at Club Fed.

Regarding registration on EF-10. EF-10 is a transaction registration portal. Since there is no transaction taking place it can reasonably be assumed that no transaction is taking place when you make your own firearm. It's not a gun registry. If it was, the state would get sued in a heartbeat and the law requiring registration would get overturned. T
On what legal theory?
And why hasn't the NY state handgun registration requirement (real registration - gun must listed on your pistol permit) been overturned in a heartbeat?

Regarding registration on EF-10. ...
5e8c974115ea4b3757538668

Are you a leftie liberal by any chance? Only the lefties try to disparage the person and not the argument.
I haven't seen you post a SINGLE valuable post in the last...well...hold on... nope! I can't remember the last time you contributed any value to the conversations here.
Besides, you assume so many things, including my sex("this guy"), you must be incapable of critical thought anyways...
Like I wrote before, these clowns are so easy to get riled up!
When are you going to EABOD’s

Which part? All of it?
I don’t know about the reliability or legal precedents, but the rest of that isn’t correct.

There are very specific requirements to serialization if the OP chooses to do so legally and meet ATF requriements. It’s unclear to me why someone would go through the effort to serialize and not do so meeting ATF requirements.

eFA-10 is required when you build a firearm and it’s able to discharge a shot. If not, it would be legal to buy AR lowers on 4473s/bill of sale, build it out, and never submit an eFA-10. Note the law says “obtains”.

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number.

You don't get a serial number, you assign one as the manufacturer - think one up and have it engraved on the lower
And yes, if you build it you are the manufacturer (you just can't manufacture for sale without a license).

Back
Top Bottom