• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY gun laws vs MA/CT + moving to upstate

So this is about where she wants to do her residency? Boston literally has the best hospitals in the world. Just wait, there's going to be a ton of opportunities popping up now that Dana Farber has elected to dump MGH as their partner and switch to Beth Israel/Lahey (best friend is a neurosurgeon).
Yeah but when there's 5-10 slots every year for these typical programs and 300+ med students apply, you take what you can get and whoever offers you interviews. Plus there's a match program where the algorithm plays musical chairs and then you get one offer you'll have to take. Fingers cross we still get to move to a free state where I can get my 300BLK AR, fully suppressed with as many high capacity nutsack mags as I want lol. Just sucks we won't know till mid March next year - match day. Can't make any life planning, buying a house, etc.

Rochester, huh? I hope you like Somali gangs.

Why not move somewhere, less retarded? How about rural KY? I hear UK Lexington is looking for Doctors.

Side note just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Previous pages had lots of talk about child support. As a father that has unfortunately had two marriages that didn't work resulting in 2 kids from each marriage. I pay zero child support. I share custody 50/50 and we split all mutual child related bills. I have my kids the same amount of days as their mom's, not saying it's easy but they are my kids and they come first. I understand every situation is unique and I'm happy I get to spend as much time with my kids as I can. Just wanted to point out that not all divorces end up the same and I'm happy given the circumstances at hand. Back to the topic... Best of luck in whatever choice you make because at the end of the day- it is yours. I personally wouldn't move to NY. I hope everything works out for you.

If it were me though, I’d look at other options. Maybe one would be an acceptable alternative for a compromise. As Broc said, I’d be very surprised if Rochester really is the most prestigious or best opportunity for this type of training.
As already noted, It might be the most prestigious she can get into.

The danger is not the potential sacrifice, but if she develops a liking to the city or institution and wants to stay once training is over.

A reasonable deal is "full support and no complaints about Rochester during your training/fellowship/whatever from me, and your side of the deal is agreeing not to stay in NY once you complete the program/get attending status/whatever.

Last edited:
Say goodbye to ALL if your pistols. And that means say goodbye to concealed carry. Hochul is the worst in the country in every facet.

Rochester is truly a black hole- terrible place- or at least used to be.

Good luck.

Say goodbye to ALL if your pistols. And that means say goodbye to concealed carry. Hochul is the worst in the country in every facet.

Good luck.
Some of the suburbs are OK. I like Pittsford and Fairport, both towns I lived in when I was a kid.

Rochester is not the place where one commonly "goes into the city" to do stuff, get stuff done, etc. There are some OK neighborhoods like Park Avenue in the city, but it's not like Boston where the city is a common destination. You don't even have to enter the city to get to the airport.

The key factors include how much this Rochester training is actually on her aspirational path, or is it just “yeah, that’d be cool.”
Or she goes to Rochester and they see each other on the weekends. My daughter and her then boyfriend / current fiancé dated for 5 years with one of them in LA and the other in Palo Alto while she was in grad school, alternating driving to see the other one every two weeks. Just about the same drive as Rochester to Boston. Sucked, but they both got where they needed to be education / career wise, and now they're both in the same place.

She's his fiancée, not his conjoined twin, FFS.

Good luck.
I'll reiterate a previous point

I wasnt the "best" at "keeping current" with the mass bullshit laws

I would be the same in ny

View attachment 826952

This house would be double in MA and 2 mil in CA lol
There is a reason why it is not double over there.

Don't get blinded by possessions.

I would rather live in a 1200 sqft cabin where I can do what I want than a 2K sqft home in NY.

This is the first sign you are never getting out of NY. I called it earlier in the thread. Post #37.

8300 taxes on a 329k house is not my idea of fun. Rochester has the highest effective property tax rate for 2022. I assume it's only gone up.
Taxes do not necessarily scale down with regional property values. A better comparison would to compare the taxes to a house of similar size and quality in the Boston or surrounding area.

Taxes do not necessarily scale down with regional property values. A better comparison would to compare the taxes to a house of similar size and quality in the Boston or surrounding area.
I should have been more clear, in 2022, Rochester NY had the highest property tax rate in the country, at almost 2.6%

I should have been more clear, in 2022, Rochester NY had the highest property tax rate in the country, at almost 2.6%
I got screwed on Rochester property taxes in the 80s.

The "commercial rate" was 2.41x the residential rate. I owned a 4 family and 4 decades these has been underassessed since 4 families triggered "commercial taxation". Assessments on the 4 unit buildings reflected this, and taxes were not out of line. Then the city went to "full value assessment", taxes doubled, and the value of 4 families when down by about 25% overnight. The big apartment buildings were protected since they used capitalization rather than market value assessment for those.

The city attorney told me "We have been looking for ways to take more money from you landlords".

And to top it all off, the city's assessors position was that the value of property was that before the tax change impacted the market value, not the current value at the time of the appeal. Arguments of "It was worth that until your tax change devalued it" were ruled irrelevant.

Bought for $125k, sold for something like $110k 4 years later, considered it a miracle I got out at that price. The guy I sold it to eventually sold if for $90k.

% is irrelevant

Tax rate for a given product does. How many $$ in taxes for an identical home in Rochester, Boston and SF. Boston or SF may have a lower tax rate than SF but collect more dollars for the identical (except for location) property.

There as in Rochester or NY?

NY has Carry, Possess on Premises, and Possess/Carry During Employment Permits

Other than in NYC/LI, permits are authorized by county judges in NY.

When I got my NY carry permit back in the late 80s, the judge in the county only issued carry permits.

Today, in the same county (different judge), a buddy could only get his Possess on Premises permit.

If he's a good boy for X number of years, his Possess on Premises permit can (maybe) be changed to a carry permit.

A person is subjected to the whims of a particular judge in a particular county.

No standards, no rhyme or reason.

I miss the Adirondacks, but I do not miss NY.
Judge needs Bruen up his ass

"Boston or SF may have a lower tax rate than SF but collect more dollars for the identical (except for location) property."

One more time?

"Boston or SF may have a lower tax rate than SF but collect more dollars for the identical (except for location) property."

One more time?
The government determines how much money they want from a property and set the tax rate to achieve that amount relative to its assessed value.

Government starts from the bottom line and works backwards.

Back
Top Bottom