• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY gun laws vs MA/CT + moving to upstate

Be very careful not to nut in the wrong woman and that won't be a problem, right?
Some of this is doom and gloom here some isn't

Don't listen to anyone here... if my wife said I'm going to do x y and z for training we are moving to ny id be like cool story bro

My situation isn't yours if you think it's the right move for both of you then so be it.

Don't obey any of the gun laws there... don't sell your shit and just keep your head down you'll be out soon enough

Let me ask you one other question... have either of you been there? Rochester sucks lol

Just a hypothetical - but going along with the earlier posts (mine included).

If you were to sit down tomorrow and say "babe, I love you and support you, but I'm not moving to NY and uprooting my whole life for 3 years while you train (not even a job)" - deep in your heart - is she:

A: Going to be pissed off, make a stink, then agree to stay and explore other options

Or

B: Is she going with or without you

This is a very important question to answer honestly within yourself. If the answer is B, but not applicable since you will agree to go, you've already lost.

OP lost that battle already:

I told her if we have to move there, we have to move there and she'll win vs. my guns every time, but if there's another option, that would be far preferable than setting foot in NY state.

He already let her know he will follow her wherever she goes. That last part "if there is another option" will be completely ignored because he already told her he will do whatever she says. If she cared, she would have listened to that and look at other options.

OP, I am not trying to be an a**hole, just giving you an honest opinion based on the information you provided.

Whatever training program she is going to, I can guarantee there is a better one either in MA or in a friendlier State. I don't even need to know what her training program is to bet on that.
Two important variables:

1) Price
2) Can she get admitted to the better program in the DPRM?

Lotta people in this thread that I’m surprised are in successful relationships.

This isn’t a girlfriend, this is his fiancé. Partners should support each others dreams and aspirations. And yes, those going after their dreams should also understand when they need to compromise.

The key factors include how much this Rochester training is actually on her aspirational path, or is it just “yeah, that’d be cool.”

If it truly is an amazing opportunity that she feels like she’ll be letting herself down if she passes up, then some compromise on OP’s part is reasonable under the idea of supporting your partner/spouse.

If it were me though, I’d look at other options. Maybe one would be an acceptable alternative for a compromise. As Broc said, I’d be very surprised if Rochester really is the most prestigious or best opportunity for this type of training.

Then, if it really is part of her dreams, and is the only reasonable option, then OP has a compromise to consider… but establish bounds to the compromise. He needs to make it clear that it would be temporary. Do not buy property, just rent. Be very firm that even if the training turns into a job opportunity, you move after the training.

But, that’s just me. I can stick it out in the suck for a little while to support my wife. I expect the same from her.

I’d take a break from guns for 3 years.
If they are still legal after 3 years, buy more.
In the meantime get your carry permit in NY.

If you girl is who you want to be with let her get her training. She might become the bread winner.

You can always move back to Mass after her training.

You can also store your guns with a friend in NH for a few years.
@G4Y4HK
This might be the most reasonable, coherent thing I've ever seen from Reptile. [thumbsup]That has to count for something.

This isn’t a girlfriend, this is his fiancé. Partners should support each others dreams and aspirations. And yes, those going after their dreams should also understand when they need to compromise.

The key factors include how much this Rochester training is actually on her aspirational path, or is it just “yeah, that’d be cool.”

If it truly is an amazing opportunity that she feels like she’ll be letting herself down if she passes up, then some compromise on OP’s part is reasonable under the idea of supporting your partner/spouse.

If it were me though, I’d look at other options. Maybe one would be an acceptable alternative for a compromise. As Broc said, I’d be very surprised if Rochester really is the most prestigious or best opportunity for this type of training.

Then, if it really is part of her dreams, and is the only reasonable option, then OP has a compromise to consider… but establish bounds to the compromise. He needs to make it clear that it would be temporary. Do not buy property, just rent. Be very firm that even if the training turns into a job opportunity, you move after the training.

But, that’s just me. I can stick it out in the suck for a little while to support my wife. I expect the same from her.

He needs a fiance who values freedom and liberty. Compromise should never include the loss of freedom that a person currently has. Moving from Massachusetts to NY is far worse than moving from NH to Massachusetts. And what about his career? Even if he finds work in NY at the same salary, he will take home less due to the outrageous taxes and high sales taxes. It is a lose lose situation. As I said earlier, eject, eject, eject.... there are plenty of women and if she placed any on personal freedom she would not even consider NY.

@G4Y4HK
This might be the most reasonable, coherent thing I've ever seen from Reptile. [thumbsup]That has to count for something.
@Reptile is no cap OG. Yeah my girl's mom just took her LTC class and says we can store whatever shit that's ok here but not in NY for however long we would need to be living under Hochul's even moar iron-er curtain. Would suck to give up fondling my HKs for a few years but whatever. Might be a good time to treat myself to a new Mossy 940 Pro and a dot for home defense.

I’m not sure you know what the word compromise means.
Assuming OP has a career already - giving his up and/or taking a paycut so his partner can take a training course to even delve into a career makes this even worse at face value. What if OP has a full career path lined up? How is deviating from it going to affect his career? If I left my company tomorrow with the plan of returning in three years, the owner would have sold it to someone else in my absence by then and I'd be starting over.

I'll ask you too...ever been to rochester?

Kidding ish...it would take a lot more than moral support for that one though

Assuming OP has a career already - giving his up and/or taking a paycut so his partner can take a training course to even delve into a career makes this even worse at face value. What if OP has a full career path lined up? How is deviating from it going to affect his career? If I left my company tomorrow with the plan of returning in three years, the owner would have sold it to someone else in my absence by then and I'd be starting over.
Nah I'm working on my own tech-ish-consulting business I can take anywhere there's reliable internet and a place to setup home video conferencing. May lose a couple of local clients but whatever, I'll get new ones. The bulk of my shit is online anyway. She's gonna be the main career alpha partner and this is a discussion of how high she wants to rank Rochester on her gen surgical residency match list. Apparently it's pretty reputable. I'll get to mooch off her sweet health PPO as well lol.

He needs a fiance who values freedom and liberty. Compromise should never include the loss of freedom that a person currently has. Moving from Massachusetts to NY is far worse than moving from NH to Massachusetts. And what about his career? Even if he finds work in NY at the same salary, he will take home less due to the outrageous taxes and high sales taxes. It is a lose lose situation. As I said earlier, eject, eject, eject.... there are plenty of women and if she placed any on personal freedom she would not even consider NY.
Jesus save some pussy for the rest of us thomas jefferson

I dont think the op moving to rochester new york or not is going to set the country up for mao's death camps unless he resists his fiances tyranny of trying to get some training

Nah I'm working on my own tech-ish-consulting business I can take anywhere there's reliable internet and a place to setup home video conferencing. May lose a couple of local clients but whatever, I'll get new ones. The bulk of my shit is online anyway. She's gonna be the main career alpha partner and this is a discussion of how high she wants to rank Rochester on her gen surgical residency match list. Apparently it's pretty reputable. I'll get to mooch off her sweet health PPO as well lol.
Oooo that's different..yeah not sure id be down to clown in ny for that...your not going there for a little while thats your moving to ny for good type stuff

Jesus save some pussy for the rest of us thomas jefferson

I dont think the op moving to rochester new york or not is going to set the country up for mao's death camps unless he resists his fiances tyranny of trying to get some training
And I hear you likely won't get capped by some naggers in a drive by with switchy Glocks if you don't live the thug/drug life yourself, which I have no plans of doing. A nice Mossberg 940 Pro with a Holosun dot and flashlight is still NY state legal and [GASP], no 'registration' or permit required!?

And I hear you likely won't get capped by some naggers in a drive by with switchy Glocks if you don't live the thug/drug life yourself, which I have no plans of doing. A nice Mossberg 940 Pro with a Holosun dot and flashlight is still NY state legal and [GASP], no 'registration' or permit required!?
Yeah go back and check some of my other work on this thread...cuz theres a 0.0 chance id be rocking a pump shotgun either

Registry...permit...or whatever gay shit they think they require up there

Careers don’t have to involve only one company. When I joined the Army, my company said to come back when my contract was up and I’d have a job waiting. Well, tale as old as time, they didn’t have the same type of position and offered me less than I made 4 years earlier. Blessing in disguise because I then found my current company a month later and was offered more than 2x the salary the other place did…. doing much more interesting work too. There’s always another place to work.

Now, if he were on track to be partner at some firm, sure, okay. That requires some more talking. But even then, remote/hybrid work opportunities are often possible; especially for good workers companies don’t want to lose. Arrangements can be made for traveling back to the office once a week or something.

There are no kids involved yet so now is the time when they should be doing “risky” things to pursue their passions; both of them. There will be plenty of time later for staying steady in on job as kids tie them down.

Last edited:
Yeah go back and check some of my other work on this thread...cuz theres a 0.0 chance id be rocking a pump shotgun either

Registry...permit...or whatever gay shit they think they require up there
7 plus 1 *semi auto*. Just aim at the home invading bad guys above neck cause they'll have armor but you can't.

I'll ask you too...ever been to rochester?

Kidding ish...it would take a lot more than moral support for that one though

Yeah, I admit that I would try real hard to find a different opportunity for her… because … Rochester; not just 2A. It’s a mighty tough pill to swallow.

Yeah, I admit that I would try real hard to find a different opportunity for her… because … Rochester; not just 2A. It’s a mighty tough pill to swallow.
I hear the salt NY DOT uses in wintertime is corrosive g4y as shit. Might also need to look into getting a winter beater like a ten year old Ford Explorer or something.

Mossy less known of a quantity. Maybe the 940 is good, but the Berettas definitely are. They’re the gold standard in semi auto defensive shotguns.
Beretta 1301 is twice the cost lol. But I guess you're paying for refinement. Looks like the perfect NY state shottie since the M4 is considered too 'assault' cause of the pistol grip.

So this is about where she wants to do her residency? Boston literally has the best hospitals in the world. Just wait, there's going to be a ton of opportunities popping up now that Dana Farber has elected to dump MGH as their partner and switch to Beth Israel/Lahey (best friend is a neurosurgeon).

Beretta 1301 is twice the cost lol. But I guess you're paying for refinement. Looks like the perfect NY state shottie since the M4 is considered too 'assault' cause of the pistol grip.

The A300 is raved about too. Doesn’t have the same recoil system, but still reliable and solid.

So this is about where she wants to do her residency? Boston literally has the best hospitals in the world. Just wait, there's going to be a ton of opportunities popping up now that Dana Farber has elected to dump MGH as their partner and switch to Beth Israel/Lahey (best friend is a neurosurgeon).
Not happening until 2028

Back
Top Bottom