• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY gun laws vs MA/CT + moving to upstate

So my fiancee is fairly set on us moving to Rochester, NY next spring-summer for post professional training. Apparently there's a program in Rochester that is one of the best in the country. With the new double clamping down by Queen Hochul, it seems gun laws are actually worse than after the SCOTUS Bruen decision. The queen laid down THE LAW. I told her if we have to move there, we have to move there and she'll win vs. my guns every time, but if there's another option, that would be far preferable than setting foot in NY state. The new laws there make MA and CT look like free states. Apparently you need FOUR 'good moral character' notarized references from people living in the same county as you plan to move to - and you must have known them for over a year And must give up all your social media accounts and passwords you've used in the last three years [does NES count as social media?]. Telling the license officer "none, I don't use social media" is often an instant denial. What psycho doesn't use social, right? Also moving in handguns is absolutely illegal until you get your permit, which may take anywhere between a year and three years or more. So what would be the best solution for handguns? Sell them all to Four Seasons at pawn prices? Let an NY FFL hold onto it for you for 3 years and pay the storage fee?

Does anyone have first hand experience living in Rochester or surrounding areas? Much obliged!

Have fun with that. At least you can probably get an NYS permit and own 2 or 3 boring guns until the courts have their say.... moving for training and not a job? Wtaf. Not my circus...
Pump shotties are good to go and protected under NY's interpretation of the 2nd amendment. No permit needed. Just sucks their second amendment doesn't cover a single handgun. Even Maura was nice enough to give her peasants a 'list'.

If that's true, great. NY.gov site hasn't updated it with the requirements axed off yet though.

To complete the State of New York Pistol/Revolver License Application (PPB3), you will need to provide:

• Personal information such as your:
    • Full Name
    • Date of Birth
    • Social Security Number
    • Address
    • Physical Description
    • Criminal History
    • Mental Health History
    • Character References
  • You will also need to provide a form of identification
If applying for a concealed carry license:

• Provide a list of former and current social media accounts for the last three years
  • Provide information about the applicant’s spouse or domestic partner, and any other adults residing in the applicant’s home, including any adult children of the applicant

Rochester is home of the Garbage Plate… ‘nuff said… it was a sh*t hole a couple decades ago when I was looking at schools — Hard pass on RIT. Went to a different school in NY (I wasn’t a collector then, so didn’t matter much).

No experience with current NYS gun lawz, but friends in the state swear it’s awful. Maybe it will make you appreciate MA and come running back? 🤣

Hit me up if you want me to care for any HK’s for you in your absence 😍

So my fiancee is fairly set on us moving to Rochester, NY next spring-summer for post professional training. Apparently there's a program in Rochester that is one of the best in the country. ... So what would be the best solution for handguns? Sell them all to Four Seasons at pawn prices? Let an NY FFL hold onto it for you for 3 years and pay the storage fee?
So while you say "moving", sounds like 3 years for the training program? Where would you move to after that?

And must give up all your social media accounts and passwords you've used in the last three years [does NES count as social media?]. Telling the license officer "none, I don't use social media" is often an instant denial. What psycho doesn't use social, right?
There is a lot of FUD around the "social media" law. I doubt the "instant denial" claim -- In my industry (among others), too much "Social Media" presence/activity is a red-flag for prospective employees.

The form doesn't request passwords (and with the growth in multifactor authentication, a password wouldn't get them anywhere on many services).

You should be able to get a full carry permit there. I know a couple of people who have done it recently
There as in Rochester or NY?

NY has Carry, Possess on Premises, and Possess/Carry During Employment Permits

Other than in NYC/LI, permits are authorized by county judges in NY.

When I got my NY carry permit back in the late 80s, the judge in the county only issued carry permits.

Today, in the same county (different judge), a buddy could only get his Possess on Premises permit.

If he's a good boy for X number of years, his Possess on Premises permit can (maybe) be changed to a carry permit.

A person is subjected to the whims of a particular judge in a particular county.

No standards, no rhyme or reason.

I miss the Adirondacks, but I do not miss NY.

Bruen changed that so that unimportant people can now get "Carry" permits, which is why NY has worked so swiftly to make a carry permit all but useless with the vampire law (recently stuck down by the court - we'll see if that holds).

Rochester is home of the Garbage Plate… ‘nuff said… it was a sh*t hole a couple decades ago when I was looking at schools — Hard pass on RIT. Went to a different school in NY (I wasn’t a collector then, so didn’t matter much).

No experience with current NYS gun lawz, but friends in the state swear it’s awful. Maybe it will make you appreciate MA and come running back? 🤣

Hit me up if you want me to care for any HK’s for you in your absence 😍
University of Rochester is there too. RIT is second rate by comparison.

I’ve been away for many years but fhe suburbs can be very nice. The city itself is a dump.

I would never live in NY. Nothing in NY would be worth it. Not just because of 2A infringements, but… NY. Federal LE friends assigned to NY field offices don’t even live in the state and they have LE freedoms. But, you do you.

So my fiancee is fairly set on us moving to Rochester, NY next spring-summer for post professional training. Apparently there's a program in Rochester that is one of the best in the country. With the new double clamping down by Queen Hochul, it seems gun laws are actually worse than after the SCOTUS Bruen decision. The queen laid down THE LAW. I told her if we have to move there, we have to move there and she'll win vs. my guns every time, but if there's another option, that would be far preferable than setting foot in NY state. The new laws there make MA and CT look like free states. Apparently you need FOUR 'good moral character' notarized references from people living in the same county as you plan to move to - and you must have known them for over a year And must give up all your social media accounts and passwords you've used in the last three years [does NES count as social media?]. Telling the license officer "none, I don't use social media" is often an instant denial. What psycho doesn't use social, right? Also moving in handguns is absolutely illegal until you get your permit, which may take anywhere between a year and three years or more. So what would be the best solution for handguns? Sell them all to Four Seasons at pawn prices? Let an NY FFL hold onto it for you for 3 years and pay the storage fee?

Does anyone have first hand experience living in Rochester or surrounding areas? Much obliged!

NY is a dumpster fire, which is too bad because upstate is really cheap to live in. Can buy a small house there for the price of a downpayment in MA.

All of those requirements are designed to make it impossible to obtain a permit, or at least intimidate the majority of people into not doing it.

Did you know that something like 30% of American adults have no (as in zero, 0) friends outside of family? You might not want to ask your coworkers or some vague acquaintance for a firearms recommendation letter either, seeing as thats somewhat sensitive information that isnt their F'ing business.

The social media passwords thing though is so beyond absurd that I am simply thunderstruck.

No woman, no matter what could ever force me to move to New York or New Jersey. They are bad on some many levels other than lack of respect for the 2A. eject, eject, eject…l huge mistake. there are women in america.

No woman, no matter what could ever force me to move to New York or New Jersey. They are bad on some many levels other than lack of respect for the 2A. eject, eject, eject…l huge mistake. there are women in america.
20211114_091106.jpg

I’d take a break from guns for 3 years.
If they are still legal after 3 years, buy more.
In the meantime get your carry permit in NY.

If you girl is who you want to be with let her get her training. She might become the bread winner.

You can always move back to Mass after her training.

You can also store your guns with a friend in NH for a few years.

Do a cba

Is this training worth uprooting your life

Is it 7 figures when shes done or are you moving to rochester potentially f***ing up your employment sitch for 10k a year

Also is it going to be the differentiator in her field?

For example

I worked for a few small places in the northeast and never could get in at a true enterprise...i took a job in fl for a huge company...and because of that i was able to get my current gig

Training can be secondary usually the prestige is what people care about

Lastly you'd have to pretttty much chain me to a basement to get me to move anywhere near the great lakes...especially near detroit or buffalo...too cold too much snow but thats me

Also dont base your move off only guns wgaf about guns... you can get guns anywhere if you catch my meaning.

Dont move to ny for the rest of the bullshit

Get Hunter’s contact at the SS, they’re apparently good at helping people skirt gun laws…and cocaine charges…and storing unclassified documents if you happen to have any of those in your garage.

There as in Rochester or NY?

Other than in NYC/LI, permits are authorized by county judges in NY.

When I got my NY carry permit back in the late 80s, the judge in the county only issued carry permits.

Today, in the same county (different judge), a buddy could only get his Possess on Premises permit.

If he's a good boy for X number of years, his Possess on Premises permit can (maybe) be changed to a carry permit.

A person is subjected to the whims of a particular judge in a particular county.

No standards, no rhyme or reason.

I miss the Adirondacks, but I do not miss NY.
New York

I was on a business trip to Corning NY this week and my friends there who hunt were complaining about the new ammo background check not working and being a general pain in the butt. They are close enough to PA to bounce down there to get ammo.

You should just push broken shards of glass in your rectum.

My wife is 100% anti-NY. I asked her to compare NY storage lawrs to MA. And try to purchase an AR at the townie gub shop. At this point, I just don't see that much disparity. NY also has more favorable property tax burdens in many areas. Of course, that is always in a state of flux. Just look at where VT is headed due to their increased municipal spending.

An NC republican told me this... show sympathy for the people of upstate NY.. its beautiful but also conservative in some areas beyond NYC in many areas.. many are like us. I would say at this point and time NY State is worse then MA for guns.

NYC controls upstate and I wish would breakaway from NY State but imagine how much state tax revenue the state would lose.

Training =/= experience, and it won't matter in a way that will actually change her life for the better. She needs to find a way to differentiate herself other than some "training program". If the "best in the world" is in Rochester, that's a load of bull. Somewhere someone is doing it far better.

Back
Top Bottom