Shipping gold chain from Fla to Ma?

Morning. I was hoping one of you may have better insight on this and give me some advice before I make a mistake.My Father is nearing the end and over the last few years passing on things and he wants to send me his gold chain he has worn for nearly 40 years, although it's probably 10K of more it really has no monetary value but obviously we wouldn't want to have it lost/stolen by either porch pirates or even an employee of the shipper(UPS,USPS, FedEx or ?)
So basically a roughly 10$ gold chain from Boca to Glosta Ma....any advice is appreciated ty

I’m very sorry to hear this. Do you have a good relationship with your father? If so, and possibly even if not, I’d recommend going to visit. You won’t have another opportunity to this, and you may regret it for a very long time. It may really help ease his situation as well. And that’s important.

Well, I'm headed to MA now, probably stay in NH due to firearms related issues, lol. Then I'm off to Crystal River, if I can help in any way let me know, my only warning is I like to take my time, it may be a 6 month journey!

The issue is not insured value, since insurance does not cover sentimental value but reducing risk.

The accountability for registered mail provides the best security. I believe registered mail is stored in a safe when not actually being handled or in transit, and is signed for at each handoff. "Register mail, not guns" :oops:

The issue is not insured value, since insurance does not cover sentimental value but reducing risk.

The accountability for registered mail provides the best security. I believe registered mail is stored in a safe when not actually being handled or in transit, and is signed for at each handoff. "Register mail, not guns" :oops:
How then is "art work" valued for insurance purposes? Artwork's value is what some schmuck will pay for it at auction, sentimental or not.

How then is "art work" valued for insurance purposes? Artwork's value is what some schmuck will pay for it at auction, sentimental or not.
The value of anything is what someone will pay in an arms length transacton. Something like really valuable artwork would likely require an "agreed value" policy.

what ever happened to the old padded envelope? drop necklace in, lick, apply postage. not quite sure the thread is not a joke of some kind.

The value of anything is what someone will pay in an arms length transacton. Something like really valuable artwork would likely require an "agreed value" policy.
So, you take that "agreed value" policy to the post office and put the required insurance on the parcel.

It's still "sentimental" value to someone willing to agree to said policy, otherwise they'd never agree to it.

Maybe so, but billions of dollars worth of expensive merchandise travels via the U.S. postal system unscathed.
That just proves to me there are billions of idiots. I wrote the po off years ago. Couldn’t get a simple letter delivered overnight. Missed the deadline by two days. Then couldn’t understand why I wanted a refund. No thanks

That just proves to me there are billions of idiots. I wrote the po off years ago. Couldn’t get a simple letter delivered overnight. Missed the deadline by two days. Then couldn’t understand why I wanted a refund. No thanks
That is usually more indicative of a local PO problem, not a system wide issue.

I've shipped several items "overnight" and they've all been delivered three to four hours ahead of the delivery deadline.

Just curious.....who else is going to deliver a letter coast to coast for 61 cents?

So, you take that "agreed value" policy to the post office and put the required insurance on the parcel.

It's still "sentimental" value to someone willing to agree to said policy, otherwise they'd never agree to it.
No "taking the agreed value" policy; any such policy would be with an independent company. USPS does not do agreed value insurance - if there is a loss, the amount of insurance established a payment cap - the burden is still on you to prove the value of what was lost, and that is all you will be paid.

Just curious.....who else is going to deliver a letter coast to coast for 61 cents?
Certainly not the post office. The first class rate is now $.68.

I have had several postal delays:
- Express overnight USPSA to a PO Box - 30 days
- Priority 2 day package MA=>TX; three weeks
- O-Ring from Moen Faucets=>My house: 9 months, give or take a couple of months

Certainly not the post office. The first class rate is now $.68.

I have had several postal delays:
- Express overnight USPSA to a PO Box - 30 days
- Priority 2 day package MA=>TX; three weeks
- O-Ring from Moen Faucets=>My house: 9 months, give or take a couple of months
Ok, crucify me for a 7 cent error. I haven't bought a book of stamps in a while. I buy a hundred dollars worth at a time and that usually lasts me about a year for as much letter mail as I send out.

I've had delays in package shipments too. Mostly because of winter weather patterns that affect the entire route of travel where truck traffic was almost non existent. Perfectly predictable and understandable.
OR, democrats overloading the system with "mail in ballots" ;)

As for regular letter mail, I've never had one NOT delivered on time in 60 years.

I've come to the conclusion that most of the people who complain about the postal service are just impatient people.

I've had delays in package shipments too. Mostly because of winter weather patterns that affect the entire route of travel where truck traffic was almost non existent. Perfectly predictable and understandable.
The shortest of the 3 delays I cited was 3 weeks; the longest 9 months (approx) - well outside of "weather delay" or "predictable and understandable".

This is absolutely correct. I carried mail on Federal Hill for close to 3 years on an aux route and carried two other routes on the hill out of the downtown 903 office when I got laid off from a job. I applied for part time and ended up there working 6-12 hour days a week until i got sick of it took a job with a utility company. Registered mail is a completely different thing. It stays in a safe and it has a signed chain of custody. As I said earlier why do you think they shipped the hope diamond registered mail. I hate the Postal Service, this year alone they lost 3 Christmas gifts I ordered for family. I got refunded by the companies but this was by far the worst year for loosing my stuff, but Registered mail is in a completely different category you can’t even compare it to the other services they offer..

Yeah I def wasn't considering that an option no disrespect to the poster, the chain is massive probably 180g with a big Cartier type plaque with an inscription. He got it in Venezuela when it was still safe to go.

If you're sure about the weight of 180 grams, a 10k necklace would be worth a scrap value of $5,758 at today's spot price. That's not chump change.

This is absolutely correct. I carried mail on Federal Hill for close to 3 years on an aux route and carried two other routes on the hill out of the downtown 903 office when I got laid off from a job. I applied for part time and ended up there working 6-12 hour days a week until i got sick of it took a job with a utility company. Registered mail is a completely different thing. It stays in a safe and it has a signed chain of custody. As I said earlier why do you think they shipped the hope diamond registered mail. I hate the Postal Service, this year alone they lost 3 Christmas gifts I ordered for family. I got refunded by the companies but this was by far the worst year for loosing my stuff, but Registered mail is in a completely different category you can’t even compare it to the other services they offer..
Ty

Registered mail is the best bet. It’s tracked every step and every handoff. And is transported in designated bins and locked when not attended
This. Every time it changes hands it has to be signed for. It is the most secure way to send a valuable item and it can be insured for up to $50K.

We’ve used a courier service for essential and non-replaceable equipment for work. Probably run a couple thousand but will get there!

If worried about porch pirates - overnight it and make sure someone is home. Or you can have it held at the post office for pickup.

If you're sure about the weight of 180 grams, a 10k necklace would be worth a scrap value of $5,758 at today's spot price. That's not chump change.
Your omitting how you will be lucky as an individual consumer with impure gold to get 50% of spot for the melt value.

Someone check this IP and see if he's posting from Vegas? Are you serious? Respectfully..I'm kind of confused if it's 180grams which I'm almost positive it's around that wouldn't it just be the price of gold X the weight...180gX73? 13,140....I'm not sure of today's gold per gram I used 73 as an example. Again... respectfully...why would it be half that for melt? That blows ...but I would never sell it just wondering why TY

Uzi2 and Luvdog have it right. Overnight does not make it safe. Registered can be insured for full value and as he said it is signed for every step of the way. Ask me how I know.....because I was one of those guys that handled $$$$$$$$$$$ in gold, platinum, diamonds, cash, AR15's. You name it, I've handled it.

Last edited:
Uzi2 and Luvdog have it right. Overnight does not make it safe. Registered can be insured for full value and as he said it is signed for every step of the way. Ask me how I know.....because I was one of those guys that handled $$$$$$$$$$$ in gold, platinum, diamonds, cash, AR15's. You name it, I've handled it.
I assume delivering rubber lingerie models and fleshlights to a certain member would have been on that list as well?

Back
Top Bottom