• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 Build, how is it done ?

Still use a drill press with router jigs for pilot hole and trigger pins and safety
I think he is asking about an AR lower, not a P80. P80 instructions call for a drill press (but a Dremel works better). AR lowers are usually done with a router and end mill. The exception would be poly AR lowers which are sketchy at best.

But you are right, best to practice first. Unless you are really lucky the first one is usually a throw away. Like a lot of things, the more you do the better you get.

Still use a drill press with router jigs for pilot hole and trigger pins and safety
You rough it in with a drill press, but the majority of the work is done with a small router. And it takes some skill and practice.

I have NEVER messed one up drilling out the pocket or the pin holes. The only times I have messed one up is connecting/clearing the drill press holes out with the router. When that router kicks out because the end mill is getting dull or you try to take too much depth in one pass, it is scary. Thick work gloves and safety glasses are a must.

We've been in the new house less than two months and I have three "half pair" of socks. Where they went is a mystery.
I buy all black socks and a few 6 pack’s at a time.

Solves the matching issue, and if you loose a few no big deal.

And (popcorn)

If you have access to a milling machine and know how to use it you can probably complete an 80% lower without too much trouble.
The technical drawings and basic list of the steps involved are available online if you search.
I have a couple of these sitting on the shelf, purchased when it seemed like they might go away.
I also happen to have a lathe, milling machine and related tooling, just need to find some time.
The router and drill templates seem like a crude way to do things, but folks do seem to pull it off.
I've done it before it's quite easy especially when you learn some machinist skills afterwords

Back
Top Bottom