• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 Build, how is it done ?

I guess what I'M not sure about is why the Aspergers types on this board have such a hard time being helpful.

They post on here EVERY DAY ALL F*CKEN DAY LONG but can't be bothered to actually be constructive with the knowlege they have accrued.

Just seems f*cken retarded to me.

But you do you.
They/we help. But often it is in the traditional big brother, NOT .big brother, manner. I'll help you, make sure you get it done, but i'm going to give you shit.
Then, we'll go shooting to make sure it works.

They/we help. But often it is in the traditional big brother, NOT .big brother, manner. I'll help you, make sure you get it done, but i'm going to give you shit.
Then, we'll go shooting to make sure it works.
We're also more likely to help people who show the minimum respect of searching before starting a new thread... and not calling people names for not bowing to their demands.

Not so much the springs as the TINY detent pins that go on top of those springs. Especially the front take-down pin detent. I found that putting a tiny bit of gun grease (I used slide-glide) on the spring/pin helped keep it in place while struggling to get it seated.

Ya, I spent way too much time in the basement yesterday. ;)
1/4" rod with an 1/8" cross drilled hole
A hitch pin will do
Insert the rod aligning the cross hole with the detent hole
Drop the spring in the the detent
Push into place with punch and rotate the rod 90°
Use the takedown pin to push the rod out while pinching the pin against the lower - nice and easy install

1/4" rod with an 1/8" cross drilled hole
A hitch pin will do
Insert the rod aligning the cross hole with the detent hole
Drop the spring in the the detent
Push into place with punch and rotate the rod 90°
Use the takedown pin to push the rod out while pinching the pin against the lower - nice and easy install
Or, press it down with a razor, drop the pin on top, pull out the razor and push the pin in.

And if you do the whole thing inside a plastic bag you'll (almost) never lose the pin

Or, press it down with a razor, drop the pin on top, pull out the razor and push the pin in.

And if you do the whole thing inside a plastic bag you'll (almost) never lose the pin
I've gotten to where I can do it with my fingernails. Bought a few "woops" kits, so in the rare instance a detent pin goes flying, I don't even bother to look for it. Now, installing an Ak hammer spring is another thing, original style not too bad, ALG High Energy single wire spring:
ak.jpg

I guess what I'M not sure about is why the Aspergers types on this board have such a hard time being helpful.

They post on here EVERY DAY ALL F*CKEN DAY LONG but can't be bothered to actually be constructive with the knowlege they have accrued.

Just seems f*cken retarded to me.

But you do you.
Go Green.

There are only two reasons to build an 80% lower...

1. Do you want to learn how to use machine tools to cut metal to build something?

2. Do you want an off the books lower?

If neither of these - don't bother.

Just get a stripped lower.

I've watched tons of videos but these are my favorite for a stripped lower...

as others have said, use a regular serialized stripped lower for your first. get a good trigger, and watch videos of how to put in the LPK parts, buffer, buttstock, etc.
Attach a complete upper, and you're GTG.

then on your next one, maybe go the 80% route. By then you may have a better idea of why you even want an AR, and will customize it to your actual needs and wants vs just buying the basic AR carbine components

Last edited:
It’s really easy you don’t really need specific tools although the punch for the bolt catch is helpful, you can use a regular punch just put some tape on the receiver so you don’t scratch it if you even care

I've done a couple. Pretty easy and tons of step by step pages on the internet to help you out. I have done both buying a complete upper and building an upper and it's just easier to buy the upper complete. never bought a complete lower. They are just too easy to assemble

I stripped my lower down to fit in a handgun case when we moved. The new owner of our house might find the selector switch detent some day. The basement where I did that stuff was completely emptied of everything when we moved. No carpet, just concrete floor. I have no idea where the detent went, so I just ordered a new one.

There is also a main spring retainer from a S&W semi auto in there somewhere.

Stuff just seems to go into orbit.

Not so much the springs as the TINY detent pins that go on top of those springs. Especially the front take-down pin detent. I found that putting a tiny bit of gun grease (I used slide-glide) on the spring/pin helped keep it in place while struggling to get it seated.

Ya, I spent way too much time in the basement yesterday. ;)

I've gotten to where I can do it with my fingernails. Bought a few "woops" kits, so in the rare instance a detent pin goes flying, I don't even bother to look for it. Now, installing an Ak hammer spring is another thing, original style not too bad, ALG High Energy single wire spring:
View attachment 837612

View attachment 837612
What ? No calluses?

never tried to build one but always wondered what it takes from a 80 percent lower. difficulty level with quite a lot of fitting or just slap it together.
Only hard part is the barrel, and I say hard because you need some specific tools to not mess it up.

Everything else can be put together with whatever you have laying around your work desk right now.

Don't get me wrong, you can also easily put the barrel using non specialized tools. It is just you risk messing it up.

Now, let differentiate, build and assemble are not the same. Most people ASSEMBLE ARs. A few people get 80% lowers and drill them so we could say "build". But we mostly assemble these rifles.

If you have access to a milling machine and know how to use it you can probably complete an 80% lower without too much trouble.
The technical drawings and basic list of the steps involved are available online if you search.
I have a couple of these sitting on the shelf, purchased when it seemed like they might go away.
I also happen to have a lathe, milling machine and related tooling, just need to find some time.
The router and drill templates seem like a crude way to do things, but folks do seem to pull it off.

Not directed at OP; In General: If you have never used a drill press, I recommend practicing first with a small steel square box you can buy at a hardware store that you would store electronic equipment inside. Clamp it down, put a few realistic holes in it after marking contact points, or better yet work on an actual project to simulate following directions during the build. Any DIY project, metalworking related. Do a couple cheap metal boxes and prepare yourself to handle the machine, how things clamp down, and how to line up the contact point with the drill bit. You don't want to rush into this and f*** it up and piss away money and resources.

I stripped my lower down to fit in a handgun case when we moved. The new owner of our house might find the selector switch detent some day. The basement where I did that stuff was completely emptied of everything when we moved. No carpet, just concrete floor. I have no idea where the detent went, so I just ordered a new one.

There is also a main spring retainer from a S&W semi auto in there somewhere.

Stuff just seems to go into orbit.
Nah. The socks that escape from the laundry show it where to hide.

Not directed at OP; In General: If you have never used a drill press, I recommend practicing first with a small steel square box you can buy at a hardware store that you would store electronic equipment inside. Clamp it down, put a few realistic holes in it after marking contact points, or better yet work on an actual project to simulate following directions during the build. Any DIY project, metalworking related. Do a couple cheap metal boxes and prepare yourself to handle the machine, how things clamp down, and how to line up the contact point with the drill bit. You don't want to rush into this and f*** it up and piss away money and resources.
I think he is asking about an AR lower, not a P80. P80 instructions call for a drill press (but a Dremel works better). AR lowers are usually done with a router and end mill. The exception would be poly AR lowers which are sketchy at best.

But you are right, best to practice first. Unless you are really lucky the first one is usually a throw away. Like a lot of things, the more you do the better you get.

Back
Top Bottom