• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR BUILD KIT

is there any market left for suppliers of 7.62x39? aren`t most of them now gone?
Other than this particular FL company I haven’t seen much out there except a rare only black anodized offering. I love AR47s.

Hello all, I want to build an AR with an 80% lower. Tried to purchase the whole upper kit from Palmetto. They do NO, I said NO business in massachusetts!!! WTF?? Any suggestions or who has quality kits? Would just like to go the kit route instead of piecemeal. Any help would be appreciated. Want to get this done before the "rules" change which I feel are imminent for this category of the hobby. Thanks

See this thread:

Other than this particular FL company I haven’t seen much out there except a rare only black anodized offering. I love AR47s.
it was fun while the extra cheap supply of post-cold war lasted, but it is a different time now.
i would be very surprised to see an abundant cheap 7.62x39 ever coming back to life. dunno, i would only look at domestic calibers now.

it was fun while the extra cheap supply of post-cold war lasted, but it is a different time now.
i would be very surprised to see an abundant cheap 7.62x39 ever coming back to life. dunno, i would only look at domestic calibers now.
Tis sad indeed. I have a good store of steel x39 and my few platforms will thrive for several years to come.

Hello all, I want to build an AR with an 80% lower. Tried to purchase the whole upper kit from Palmetto. They do NO, I said NO business in massachusetts!!! WTF?? Any suggestions or who has quality kits? Would just like to go the kit route instead of piecemeal. Any help would be appreciated. Want to get this done before the "rules" change which I feel are imminent for this category of the hobby. Thanks
first-time-meme.gif

Optics Planet...

I only buy from them if I absolutely need something and they are the only seller with stock. Then they remind me their service is absolute dogshit as they put my order on forever backorder.
From what I understand, they are a dropshipper who lists items as "in stock" even when they are not.

If all you want is a relatively inexpensive build to dip your fingers in the AR build world, you might want to try Delta Team Tactical at:

I picked up one of their complete build kits after @Rocky Mosasaurus posted about them in the Deals and Steals Thread. It was everything except the lower. You can either get it as all parts, or for $20 they assemble the upper for you. If you get the unassembled upper you will need the proper tools to assemble it, so you might want to start with them doing the upper for you. Lowers are a piece of cake. I haven't built it yet, but it looks like the components are half way decent. Here is how it ships ( I got the completely unassembled option):

View attachment 816993View attachment 816954
Thank you, exactly the information I was looking for. Will check them out.

Looking for the upper receiver with barrel and all of the hardware for the lower.
You can buy a complete upper then from a lot of places you just have to look to see if they’ll ship to MA. And there are a ton of lower parts kits too. Does brownells ship to MA? They have all that stuff. So does primary arms and midway.

If all you want is a relatively inexpensive build to dip your fingers in the AR build world, you might want to try Delta Team Tactical at:

I picked up one of their complete build kits after @Rocky Mosasaurus posted about them in the Deals and Steals Thread. It was everything except the lower. You can either get it as all parts, or for $20 they assemble the upper for you. If you get the unassembled upper you will need the proper tools to assemble it, so you might want to start with them doing the upper for you. Lowers are a piece of cake. I haven't built it yet, but it looks like the components are half way decent. Here is how it ships ( I got the completely unassembled option):

View attachment 816993View attachment 816954
Nice lgbt handguard

I've never had and issue with optics planet except for maybe a trigger in the wrong color being on backorder
Glad you have been lucky with them. For me, they have shown stock for difficult to find parts and don't inform you of the backorder until after your order is placed. Also their tracking for standard shipping is terrible.

Nice lgbt handguard
Actually it's even called the "Over The Rainbow" build. Of course, I'm of the age where that would only refer to Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz. I'll never forget when my neighbor took a vacation to Province Town many years ago. We took care of their dog while they were gone. As a thank you gift he gave me a nice sweatshirt with the Province Town rainbow logo on it. This guy is so straight that he didn't even realize he was giving me a gay pride sweat shirt. I didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wear it to this day, since it is a really nice sweatshirt.

Actually it's even called the "Over The Rainbow" build. Of course, I'm of the age where that would only refer to Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz. I'll never forget when my neighbor took a vacation to Province Town many years ago. We took care of their dog while they were gone. As a thank you gift he gave me a nice sweatshirt with the Province Town rainbow logo on it. This guy is so straight that he didn't even realize he was giving me a gay pride sweat shirt. I didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wear it to this day, since it is a really nice sweatshirt.
You’re only gay if you snuggle after

Really? I don't think I've ever read that
Looking for the upper receiver with barrel and all of the hardware for the lower.
Dude if you want and you'll cover double shipping send it to me I'll send it to you

You’re only gay if you snuggle after
In

Not falling for this trap.

“See how easy it is to make ghost guns?!”
You are part of the problem.

I’m not sorry, go be a coward somewhere else. We can’t afford people like you in the 2A community.

Go get a different hobby no one wants you.

Really? I don't think I've ever read that

Dude if you want and you'll cover double shipping send it to me I'll send it to you

In
Pretty much standard milspec black melonite or even anodized uppers on the market. There are very few cerakote options as I’ve seen. I think you’re in FL? What are you seeing?

Pretty much standard milspec black melonite or even anodized uppers on the market. There are very few cerakote options as I’ve seen. I think you’re in FL? What are you seeing?
Pick whatever you want online send it to me I'll send it to you

So, a little feedback. I went with 5D tactical for the 80% lower. They took my order last weekend online. Sent an email with confirmation. I haven't heard a word since. Finally called them today and was able to talk to a human. Was told that they aren't shipping anything and are waiting on the SCOTUS and AFT fight to be resolved and that they should be shipping in 2 weeks. Wish they had been upfront from the get go on the situation. With the current situation-I am not confident I will ever see it!! So, holding off on getting the upper parts until the lower issue resolved. Thank all for the support and information regarding the build.

So, a little feedback. I went with 5D tactical for the 80% lower. They took my order last weekend online. Sent an email with confirmation. I haven't heard a word since. Finally called them today and was able to talk to a human. Was told that they aren't shipping anything and are waiting on the SCOTUS and AFT fight to be resolved and that they should be shipping in 2 weeks. Wish they had been upfront from the get go on the situation. With the current situation-I am not confident I will ever see it!! So, holding off on getting the upper parts until the lower issue resolved. Thank all for the support and information regarding the build.
It’s an interesting case where a few retailers are taking stock from such companies and reselling them. Same as with any P80 stuff.

I know some companies are refusing to sell an 80% lower with a jig, but will sell each one stand alone. For example, Juggernaut Tactical has this on their 80% lower page:

Note: Due to ATF final rule 2021R-05F (more info here), you cannot order an 80% Lower and jig-related products at the same time. If you have both in your cart, you will not be able to complete the checkout process.

I was able to buy an 80% lower from them just two weeks ago (for an AR-45 build I'm working on). But I was just buying the lower. I can say that their 45 ACP lowers (works with Glock mags) does look to be pretty high quality. I'll have to finish the build to see if their LRBHO will work with the upper I've got.

I know some companies are refusing to sell an 80% lower with a jig, but will sell each one stand alone. For example, Juggernaut Tactical has this on their 80% lower page:

Note: Due to ATF final rule 2021R-05F (more info here), you cannot order an 80% Lower and jig-related products at the same time. If you have both in your cart, you will not be able to complete the checkout process.

I was able to buy an 80% lower from them just two weeks ago (for an AR-45 build I'm working on). But I was just buying the lower. I can say that their 45 ACP lowers (works with Glock mags) does look to be pretty high quality. I'll have to finish the build to see if their LRBHO will work with the upper I've got.
Cat, is there a special place on their website where the 80% are? I scoured it and couldn't find anything. Appreciate the heads up

you can place 2 separate orders, you just lose a few bucks on shipping.

I'm on my third build. First was a 16" midlength, second a 11.5" SBR Aero build. Just efiled a Form 1 for a 9" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blackout build and have everything needed for a 16" FN build.

I got the majority of my stuff from Right to Bear and Primary Arms; Midway and Brownells to a lesser extent. I just made my first purchase from Mil Spec Retail. I also had luck with the classifieds here as well as AR15.com.

I prefer to do a complete build; stripped lower with a lower parts kit, trigger assembly, barrell, upper receiver, gas tube etc. I enjoy putting everything together and find that it gives me a better understanding of how the weapon operates, as well as the confidence to do any minor repairs. Either way, enjoy your build.

Cat, is there a special place on their website where the 80% are? I scoured it and couldn't find anything. Appreciate the heads up
On the top menu right between right between "PCC 9MM/45" and "Glock Mods" there is an "80%" you can select and then goto AR-10/LR308 or AR-15 or 9MM/45.
They are not cheap, but they are very nice lowers.

ETA: If you get their more expensive lower that comes with both an ambi bolt release and is marked for an ambi safety, you'll get a pin (the ambi transfer pin). They don't give you any instructions on what to do with this pin (at least they didn't with my AR-45 lower). However, they do have a video on what to do with it. First half of the video covers their PCC lowers (those come with a spring and pin), second half (which at its beginning appears to be an exact duplicate of the first) actually covers their standard AR-15 JT lowers.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, if you go with the 5D Tactical jig, it is well worth going the extra $20 to get the readymill with slick coat. I've used both the standard and the coated mill and the coated mill is like cutting butter with a hot knife. Just don't let it seduce you into trying to cut more than the recommended depth per pass.

Back
Top Bottom