New firearms attorney

As an attorney, embarking on a new law practice, he is bound to represent the interests of his clients. If you don't like what he used to do, that is fine, but I think it's a little unfair to condemn him for his employment at the FRB.

I have had direct dealings and contact with him and found him to be honest, objective, and helpful.

Is the guy running for elected office or is he opening a private law practice representing gun owners?

If he's running for office - his background, his beliefs, his stance on 2A issues matters a LOT to us.

If he's going into private law practice, he IS going to represent his clients to the best of his ability, and in their best interest, or he isn't going to be doing it long. THAT'S what I expect he'll be doing for gun owners - representing them to the best of his ability (and his background gives him some unique ability, I'm sure), assuming their check clears.

It's business. It's not politics, it's business, plain and simple. I don't care if he's Bloomberg's evil twin brother, I can't imagine an attorney throwing a game for his clients. He's positioned to be very effective in this new endeavor, and this new endeavor is business. Not politics, not trying to get elected NES Homecoming King. Just the almighty peso.

And if he IS very effective at it, THAT is what he'll do for the gun owners at large. He'll stack more matters in the win column for us, client by client, and presumably make lots of money doing it.

Or is NES anti-capitalist?

I would welcome a statement from him on the forum. I know it may be somewhat of a gamble, but judging from the responses in this this thread, it might be to his advantage. There are new posters daily in the "How long did it take to get your LTC" thread that may want to avail themselves of his services. I'd like to see him explain his positions and if he doesn't want to respond to any reactions, so be it. I can understand that, although being a professional wordsmith, I don't think he'd have a problem! At least we'll have an idea who we are dealing with.

I know he would be in direct competition with Scriv and Jesse Cohen, but I say "the more the merrier". Ideally I'd like to see them join forces. That team would be a powerhouse! I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. [laugh] Jesse DID say he had a very cordial and respectful meeting with him and found him to be a likable guy.

Granted, he's been crapped on ad infinitum on the forum, but isn't this his customer base? I hope he realizes that.

Is the guy running for elected office or is he opening a private law practice representing gun owners?

If he's running for office - his background, his beliefs, his stance on 2A issues matters a LOT to us.

If he's going into private law practice, he IS going to represent his clients to the best of his ability, and in their best interest, or he isn't going to be doing it long. THAT'S what I expect he'll be doing for gun owners - representing them to the best of his ability (and his background gives him some unique ability, I'm sure), assuming their check clears.

It's business. It's not politics, it's business, plain and simple. I don't care if he's Bloomberg's evil twin brother, I can't imagine an attorney throwing a game for his clients. He's positioned to be very effective in this new endeavor, and this new endeavor is business. Not politics, not trying to get elected NES Homecoming King. Just the almighty peso.

And if he IS very effective at it, THAT is what he'll do for the gun owners at large. He'll stack more matters in the win column for us, client by client, and presumably make lots of money doing it.

Or is NES anti-capitalist?

This. Lawyers are tools, just like guns. The only thing that matters is will they do what you want them to when you want them too. Their own beliefs don't come into it.

It would NOT be smart for Jason to appear on NES, he would get drummed off the forum with insults just like 99% of the LEOs that used to be members here.

I'm sure he'll do fine in his new endeavor w/o coming here on his knees and being subjected to a beating as he apologizes for doing his prior job.

It would NOT be smart for Jason to appear on NES, he would get drummed off the forum with insults just like 99% of the LEOs that used to be members here.

I'm sure he'll do fine in his new endeavor w/o coming here on his knees and being subjected to a beating as he apologizes for doing his prior job.

I wouldn't recommend that he open an account with his real name... but then, very few of os use our names here.

I'd like for him to come on and post a couple of times anonymously, instead of simply lurking like many here have suspected him of doing.

I wouldn't recommend that he open an account with his real name... but then, very few of os use our names here.

I'd like for him to come on and post a couple of times anonymously, instead of simply lurking like many here have suspected him of doing.

He's probably a green member with 5000 posts.

What use would an anonymous post have? We already get thousands of those a day . . . some from well-meaning people giving bad info too.

We don't "suspect him" of lurking here in the past . . . it is a fact, one that he has told me personally as well as admitted to Scrivener. I also got an obtuse Email from Jason one day asking me to correct some info on here and I had to call him just to understand what exactly he was talking about (it was a thread that I hadn't bothered to read).

He's probably a green member with 5000 posts.

Nope, he's never registered according to him and I believe him.

I'd love to see a list of the insults hurled at "99% of the LEO's that used to be members here" that effectively got them "drummed off the forum".... The closer truth is that many of those LEO's drummed themselves off the forum. Many were apologists for clear abuses among their ranks. Others were pot-stirrers and some got their panties in a wad when anyone so much as mentioned inappropriate and oft abusive acts by members of the law enforcement community. Many of those same drummed off LEO's have no problem trashing the citizenry, (of which they are supposed to be a part of) on MassCops... So please, give me a break on the "NES is full of cop bashers" bullshit... A majority of NES members here are akin to a majority of the law enforcement community here: good, decent hardworking citizens with opinions - some which run counter to one another. Are there exceptions? Of course, but to suggest that law enforcement officers were essentially "drummed off" NES by a 'cop-hating' membership is beneath someone of your intelligence and flat out silly...

ETA: If Jason is to be an effective attorney in the courts - if he is to aggressively defend his clients, then surely he must have the balls to join NES and make his opinions known... If he indeed "comes here on his knees" he should indeed be subjected to a beating, as he is a wussy of the highest order...

ETA: If Jason is to be an effective attorney in the courts - if he is to aggressively defend his clients, then surely he must have the balls to join NES and make his opinions known... If he indeed "comes here on his knees" he should indeed be subjected to a beating, as he is a wussy of the highest order...

Who cares about his opinions? He's not marketing his opinions. He's marketing his legal expertise.

Again, he's not running for office, he's going into business. What do his opinions or convictions have the slightest thing to do with it?

Capitalism and morality are not the same thing. Freedom does not imply an absence of culpability. Enforcing immoral and unjust law is a moral failing. Whether doing so is the result of a desire to make money, a necessity of following orders, or indifference to the consequences is immaterial to the nature of the act. One can both be observed to be acting in a manner intended to maximize income while at the same time be criticized for the chosen effort. Many here are forcing a false choice, where one can either be in favor of capitalism or opposed to bureaucratic thuggery. I'll take both, and my contempt for bureaucratic thugs is not going to fade the moment they step into the private sector, whether their efforts might serve my purposes or not.

$5 says he'd get banned in a month based only on the fact that he's an attorney. They don't seem to do so well around here. Neurotic spelling Nazis, megalomaniac stalkers... I'm actually kind of curious what his particular idiosyncrasy might be at this point. [laugh]

His opinions have shaped how the MGL's are interpreted and enforced. I say that is a good thing. Maybe you don't like the "clarification" but someone had to do it as they are so obscure and poorly written as many of you have bitched about over and over, now someone says "it means this" and because you didn't want it that way, he is evil. Meh.

Maybe you should look at his change of venue as a golden goose. Someone that really understands what the MGL's mean, how they can be interpreted.

Don't forget, he brought out that the police in the state can NOT possess post ban large capacity mag for personal use. THAT pissed a lot of cops off I am sure and maybe will bring them on our side on the crappy laws in this state.

A man like him, along with the others already in our arsenal, may help get them changed for the better.

Think about it.

I agree. Nobody wants a kitten :) for a lawyer.

90% of the posts here calling scriv an a-hole also praise his mad lawyering skills. In the same post. And both opinions are correct. IMO, of course.

Eta: some of you less than hip people, may not realize that "mad lawyering skills" is a compliment. It means he is highly skilled much in the same way that a "ridiculous" car is really fast or cool looking.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Last edited:
If Jason really wanted to prove himself to the 2A community and win the favor of folks on NES, I would say that the best way to do it would be to donate 10 hours of his time every week to Comm2A.

Want to show me that you really support us? Join our Special Forces A Team. That would certainly quiet many of his critics

This is his current listing with the State:

"
[SIZE=+2]Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
of the Supreme Judicial Court
[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]
99 High Street
Boston, Ma. 02110[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Attorney Status Report[/SIZE]
scales.gif
[SIZE=+2]
Jason A. Guida [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
617-660-4701
MA Dept. CJIS
200 Arlington Street
Chelsea MA 02150
Admitted to the bar on 11/28/06
Current status is Active [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Full office addresses listed for Active, IHC, and 304 status attorneys only.[/SIZE]
This attorney has certified that he or she does not carry malpractice insurance because the attorney is solely employed either as a government lawyer or by an organizational client (such as a corporation). This attorney has no record of public discipline.
Data as of 10/23/12
"

His opinions have shaped how the MGL's are interpreted and enforced. I say that is a good thing. Maybe you don't like the "clarification" but someone had to do it as they are so obscure and poorly written as many of you have bitched about over and over, now someone says "it means this" and because you didn't want it that way, he is evil. Meh.

There's a reason for this- because a lot of the interpretations spewed forth from EOPS (some of which may or may not have been generated by Guida himself) were far worse than the original law actually was, and in several cases, anyone with a brain for legal paperwork would find the interpretations mind numbing. I'd take a non interpretation (eg, silence) any day of the week over one loaded with failbus.

-Mike

Last edited:
Who cares about his opinions? He's not marketing his opinions. He's marketing his legal expertise.

Again, he's not running for office, he's going into business. What do his opinions or convictions have the slightest thing to do with it?

I don't know - everything? Selling your legal services to defend against laws you helped to defend in the first place may involve some explanation. The statement was also more about "poor Jason coming here on his knees" and reflected upon if he can't come here like a man, - don't bother. LenS making the comparison of NES as the whip to the whipping post for the poor unfortunate members of the law enforcement community is nothing short of ludicrous....

LenS making the comparison of NES as the whip to the whipping post for the poor unfortunate members of the law enforcement community is nothing short of ludicrous....

Mark, this is a case where you don't know what you are talking about. I have had numerous LEOs who WERE on NES tell me that the constant anti-cop posts are what drove them away from here. A couple posted publicly about it, while most just silently picked up and left. Most did NOT get into the mud over "bad cop" issues here but some were just "regular Joe's" on the forum while others contributed good info from the LE side. A couple did get into the mud with the haters (who are actually a small minority, but very vocal here). What I will concede (and have witnessed personally when I was a PO) is that POs (in general) have a very thin skin when it comes to criticism of their own (even if deserved) . . . I understand it but don't agree with it personally. [On the other hand, I quit Masscops over a similar issue after seeing a couple of members there continually bash all Deputy Sheriffs, Fed LEOs and Constables (one in particular hated everyone who wasn't MSP) and their Admin just let them get away with it.]

Mark, if you want examples of what I'm referring to here (NES issues), feel free to PM me, but I don't think it right for me to out specific folks (who quit) publicly here.

Mark, this is a case where you don't know what you are talking about. I have had numerous LEOs who WERE on NES tell me that the constant anti-cop posts are what drove them away from here. A couple posted publicly about it, while most just silently picked up and left. Most did NOT get into the mud over "bad cop" issues here but some were just "regular Joe's" on the forum while others contributed good info from the LE side. A couple did get into the mud with the haters (who are actually a small minority, but very vocal here). What I will concede (and have witnessed personally when I was a PO) is that POs (in general) have a very thin skin when it comes to criticism of their own (even if deserved) . . . I understand it but don't agree with it personally. [On the other hand, I quit Masscops over a similar issue after seeing a couple of members there continually bash all Deputy Sheriffs, Fed LEOs and Constables (one in particular hated everyone who wasn't MSP) and their Admin just let them get away with it.]

Mark, if you want examples of what I'm referring to here (NES issues), feel free to PM me, but I don't think it right for me to out specific folks (who quit) publicly here.

People that have NO background in law enforcement get their feathers bent and leave, too.

How is Guida different from (insert departed LEO here)? He want's to (or *should* want to) market into this group of people.

NES is what a firearms attorney might call a "target rich environment". By virtue of be being lawful and responsible gun owners in this state, we all run the risk of unintentionally becoming the next "Arsenal uncovered at 666 Good Road, News @ 11" story. This is not a group of guys griping at the coffee shop, no matter how the Off Topic threads sometimes read. NES is many thousands of active sportsmen, professionals and yes, even Mall Ninjas.

Guida would be, frankly, not too bright to ignore it.

Capitalism and morality are not the same thing. Freedom does not imply an absence of culpability. Enforcing immoral and unjust law is a moral failing. Whether doing so is the result of a desire to make money, a necessity of following orders, or indifference to the consequences is immaterial to the nature of the act. One can both be observed to be acting in a manner intended to maximize income while at the same time be criticized for the chosen effort. Many here are forcing a false choice, where one can either be in favor of capitalism or opposed to bureaucratic thuggery. I'll take both, and my contempt for bureaucratic thugs is not going to fade the moment they step into the private sector, whether their efforts might serve my purposes or not.

QFT +1

If he's read this thread (which I'm sure he probably has by now), he's most likely having second thoughts and thinking "if getting involved with the firearms community wasn't such a great idea after all... maybe I should have specialized in divorce, alimony and child custody cases? At least there's a lot less anger".

If he's read this thread (which I'm sure he probably has by now), he's most likely having second thoughts and thinking "if getting involved with the firearms community wasn't such a great idea after all... maybe I should have specialized in divorce, alimony and child custody cases? At least there's a lot less anger".

Lawyers monetize anger, it's all good. [rofl2]

I think Guida will do a good job. It's a good thing for the gun community to have someone come over from the "dark side". DAs often make great defense attorneys. I'm very interested and hopeful that everything goes well.

Back
Top Bottom