Need a good 2A attorney for a friend

I would never store a gun in my car, even if it was in a locked case.

I think the chances of theft are greater than needing the gun for self defense that day.

I'd sooner go without my gun than risk losing my 2a rights for life.

As far as I can predict - your friend is toast.

I'd still spend a fortune to fight this though.

You can safely (from a legal perspective) store a gun in a car if you follow the trigger lock/locked case protocol, and know what to say and when to say it. The licensing intro courses vary greatly in the quality of information presented in this area. One mis-step in wording can turn a totally defensible non-crime into a confession and criminal charges.

MGL even provides that being a first time victim of gun theft is not grounds for LTC revocation (which has the obvious ominous implication). I prefer a steel cable run through the mag well and ejection port secured to the car with a non-trivial padlock to make it harder when parking in a high-risk area (like outside a post-match banquet).

Chances are the victim will pay a bunch of $$ to an attorney, get a CWOF lose his LTC for the duration of the CWOF (or maybe forever) but not become a federally PP, and thank the attorney for taking his money.

In the glove compartment case, I don't think any testimony was offered that the glove compartment was locked, the theft victim did not make that claim when reporting the theft, and there was no evidence of forced entry - making the actual question "Is a locked passenger compartment of a car a locked case". But, the way the decision was worded gives plenty of room for argument that a glove compartment does not meet the criteria of protection from "all but the most determined".

Last edited:
I was just going to dunks, you never know when you might be near another NES member.

“If you might need a gun there, don't go there.”
People who have a gun "just in case I go somewhere I might need it".

*sigh*

If you might need a gun there, don't go there. If you can't avoid going there, don't take a pistol in the glove box. Take a rifle or shotgun, and friends with rifles or shotguns.

And never leave a handgun in the vehicle. If you must, keep it in a safe that is cabled to a permanent attachment point.

I go with a gun EVERYWHERE, because I DON'T KNOW where I will NEED a gun. If somehow I KNEW I needed a gun, yes, don't go there.

You might need a gun ANYWHERE, so by your logic I should go nowhere, ever, unless loaded for bear with friends.

Chances are the victim will pay a bunch of $$ to an attorney, get a CWOF lose his LTC for the duration of the CWOF (or maybe forever) but not become a federally PP, and thank the attorney for taking his money.
And then he can move to NH where his rights will be respected and nobody cares about a CWOF. Oh, and you can keep a gun in your glovebox, if you want to (personally don't recommend it but, you be you, it's your gun and your car).

Any issues that involves firearms and legal issues, I'd want an attorney that does just that; not one that does other things that happens to also include 2A stuff (i.e. he is so good at what he does, he doesn't need to do anything else). Have your friend do his due diligence in attorney selection. For me it would be Attorney Jason A. Guida

Last edited:
People who have a gun "just in case I go somewhere I might need it".

*sigh*

If you might need a gun there, don't go there. If you can't avoid going there, don't take a pistol in the glove box. Take a rifle or shotgun, and friends with rifles or shotguns.

And never leave a handgun in the vehicle. If you must, keep it in a safe that is cabled to a permanent attachment point.
Agreed, but sometimes I need to go to Springfield, or Holyoke, or Boston, or……….

Edit:
@Agnotology said it much better than I did.👍

Last edited:
In mass you have to put it in a steel case, then that case needs to go in a titanium case, you then have to chain it to the nearest immovable object. you must have 2 attack dogs in the car and 4 alarms. Oh, and the gun needs to be field striped.

And then he can move to NH where his rights will be respected and nobody cares about a CWOF. Oh, and you can keep a gun in your glovebox, if you want to (personally don't recommend it but, you be you, it's your gun and your car).

Ya I wouldn’t keep it there either, but the reaction the MA Karen’s are having to people keeping guns in their car is priceless. This is a really common practice in normal states.

In mass you have to put it in a steel case, then that case needs to go in a titanium case, you then have to chain it to the nearest immovable object. you must have 2 attack dogs in the car and 4 alarms. Oh, and the gun needs to be field striped.

I thought you also had to hire a police detail to guard it on weekends.

I have stored a pistol in my vehicles short term on many occasions. I am not worried about it. I purchased vaults that bolt into the car. My Tundra and Wrangler both have vaults from Lock'er Down. If someone is going to steal my gun they're going to have demo my vehicle to get the vault out and take it with them. Not sure they would be able to get into the vault in short order while it is in the vehicle. Regardless there is going to be enough damage where it is obvious whatever they stole was secured.

Also, I have Neal Tassel's number in my phone. I'm calling him first before I report the theft so I know what and what not to say when my second call is to LEO.

The glove box should 100% be legal storage as long as it needs a key.

But, no! This is Mass.

I met the lawyer that lost the argument that it was a locked container.

“As you can see, this is a container, as it holds things. It also has a lock, which was locked. It is a locked container by the very well understood definitions of those words.”

MA court: “Not in this state it isn’t. We can’t back up our claim; we just believe your client is bad because he had a gun.”

The glove box should 100% be legal storage as long as it needs a key.

But, no! This is Mass.

I met the lawyer that lost the argument that it was a locked container.
If you're taking about Reyes, I'm pretty sure the car was locked but not the glove box. IIRC, the decision even went to say it's not clear if a locked glove box would count.

So is any number of other “approved” locked container options.

I have always questioned this. You spend at least $300 for a sh! gun. Maybe up to $1000 for a decent gun. Should some scumbag bust in your car and steal the gun you're going to need to hire a lawyer at let's say a minimum of $400 - $500 an hour. Most likely pushing close to $1000/hour for someone decent. So why do people go cheap and spend less than $50 to secure the gun in the vehicle. To me it is baffling. Spend a few hundred dollars and get something at least half way decent.

I have always questioned this. You spend at least $300 for a sh! gun. Maybe up to $1000 for a decent gun. Should some scumbag bust in your car and steal the gun you're going to need to hire a lawyer at let's say a minimum of $400 - $500 an hour. Most likely pushing close to $1000/hour for someone decent. So why do people go cheap and spend less than $50 to secure the gun in the vehicle. To me it is baffling. Spend a few hundred dollars and get something at least half way decent.
There are lots of expensive locking devices that are no more secure than the cheap ones. Everyone makes their value decisions.

There are lots of expensive locking devices that are no more secure than the cheap ones. Everyone makes their value decisions.

Truth, and I think there’s a lot of confusion as to what is an effective solution. Myself included. I think something is probably decent, and along comes the lockpicking lawyer to destroy that notion.

I feel like other factors in a layered security approach are more important. E.g. don’t park in shit areas if you can avoid it, don’t be an attractive target with stuff strewn around the car visible, keep the firearm storage discreet etc..

The last one is understandably difficult as the more discreet the location, there will likely be more effort to put it there or retrieve it and that effort will likely not be discreet.

Definitely some truth to that, but I think it gets pretty foggy when it comes to figuring out what is actually decent.

Back
Top Bottom