Need a good 2A attorney for a friend

Greenleaf

NES Member
A friend recently had his firearm stolen out of his glove compartment and he has a court date of May 13 in Fitchburg Court - can anyone recommend an Attorney who handles 2A cases? Thank you

Say you get a firearm stolen out of a vehicle
You report it.
Now they (police, judge, DA, etc) do not know where it was stolen from in the vehicle.
Thing could have been inside a locked safe that happened to be inside the glove box or in a safe under a seat.

Cases like this is where you need to know the law because a "normal" person might think it is legal to store a firearm in a locked glovebox in MA and slip up while reporting it.

Say you get a firearm stolen out of a vehicle
You report it.
Now they (police, judge, DA, etc) do not know where it was stolen from in the vehicle.
Thing could have been inside a locked safe that happened to be inside the glove box or in a safe under a seat.

Cases like this is where you need to know the law because a "normal" person might think it is legal to store a firearm in a locked glovebox in MA and slip up while reporting it.
NEVER report a gun stolen from a vehicle.

Report a trigger lock or locked gun case (in the case of high cap rifle stolen from a vehicle) as stolen and mention there was a gun attached or enclosed therein. It is harder to credibly add "Oh yeah, there was a trigger lock on the gun" ex post facto after attorney advice than to just get it in the initial report. Although traditional wisdom is STFU, if you are going to report a gun stolen it is good to have the fact that it was properly legally secured in the initial police report. In many cases, the cops will think "oh shit, no storage charge" (one cop I know described a case where he wanted to take someone's guns and he was disappointed to see the rifles in plain sight all had trigger locks and could not seize them)

I keep a trigger lock in various locations where I might find it convenient to leave a gun (kitchen, car, range bag, etc.)

Last edited:
NEVER report a gun stolen from a vehicle.

Report a trigger lock or locked gun case (in the case of high cap rifle stolen from a vehicle) as stolen and mention there was a gun attached or enclosed therein. It is harder to credibly add "Oh yea, there was a trigger lock on the gun" ex post facto after attorney advice than to just get it in the initial report. Although traditional wisdom is STFU, if you are going to report a gun stolen it is good to have the fact that it was properly legally secured in the initial police report. In many cases, the cops will think "oh shit, no storage charge" (one cop I know described a case where he wanted to take someone's guns and he was disappointed to see the rifles in plain sight all had trigger locks and could not seize them)

I keep a trigger lock in various locations where I might find it convenient to leave a gun (kitchen, car, range bag, etc.)
This plus a billion. Even if they attempt to charge, it puts the onus on the state to prove that it wasn't secured.

Actually is a friend - I never leave my guns in the car
When I bought my truck, the salesman pointed out a lockable storage compartment under the center of the front seat, and said " And this compartment meets the Mass secure firearm storage requirements"
I said "Oh yeah? Do you want to be the guy that argues that in court?" and he told me that the local Chief of Police told him that it did.
I told him he should never take gun law advice from a cop or a clerk in a gun shop.

Of course, I asked him why he mentioned it. He noticed the small gun safe I keep chained to my seat in case, I need to secure my carry gun, when he moved the drivers seat.

Who the fucck keeps their gun in the glove compartment? Probably a Crocs wearer. If so, throw the book at him.
People who have a gun "just in case I go somewhere I might need it".

*sigh*

If you might need a gun there, don't go there. If you can't avoid going there, don't take a pistol in the glove box. Take a rifle or shotgun, and friends with rifles or shotguns.

And never leave a handgun in the vehicle. If you must, keep it in a safe that is cabled to a permanent attachment point.

I was just going to dunks, you never know when you might be near another NES member.

“If you might need a gun there, don't go there.”

People who have a gun "just in case I go somewhere I might need it".

*sigh*

If you might need a gun there, don't go there. If you can't avoid going there, don't take a pistol in the glove box. Take a rifle or shotgun, and friends with rifles or shotguns.

And never leave a handgun in the vehicle. If you must, keep it in a safe that is cabled to a permanent attachment point.

We don’t always know where “there” is going to be. Sometimes “there” is a place that you’ve been to a thousand times without issue and never would have expected an issue in that place. I wouldn’t keep a gun in a glove box, because there are better options, but I wouldn’t criticize the victim of a crime who did.

We don’t always know where “there” is going to be. Sometimes “there” is a place that you’ve been to a thousand times without issue and never would have expected an issue in that place. I wouldn’t keep a gun in a glove box, because there are better options, but I wouldn’t criticize the victim of a crime who did.

The glove box should 100% be legal storage as long as it needs a key.

But, no! This is Mass.

I met the lawyer that lost the argument that it was a locked container.

Back
Top Bottom