Need a good 2A attorney for a friend

Truth, and I think there’s a lot of confusion as to what is an effective solution. Myself included. I think something is probably decent, and along comes the lockpicking lawyer to destroy that notion.

I feel like other factors in a layered security approach are more important. E.g. don’t park in shit areas if you can avoid it, don’t be an attractive target with stuff strewn around the car visible, keep the firearm storage discreet etc..

The last one is understandably difficult as the more discreet the location, there will likely be more effort to put it there or retrieve it and that effort will likely not be discreet.

Definitely some truth to that, but I think it gets pretty foggy when it comes to figuring out what is actually decent.
Eventually we recall "locks keep honest people honest." The truth is, LPL, Bosnian Bill, Deviant Ollam, et al., are outliers. The person breaking into your car to steal your blaster probably isn't into locksport as a hobby.

The issue is that you can often just stick a big screw driver in the side and pry. And that's if you can't just push the latch with a small tool.

Because we're good guys, we try to imagine nondestructive methods - they're not so constrained...e.g., bolt cutters will open the window and the cable in under 30 seconds.

In mass you have to put it in a steel case, then that case needs to go in a titanium case, you then have to chain it to the nearest immovable object. you must have 2 attack dogs in the car and 4 alarms. Oh, and the gun needs to be field striped.
You forgot the "encase it in concrete" requirement [rofl]
I have stored a pistol in my vehicles short term on many occasions. I am not worried about it. I purchased vaults that bolt into the car. My Tundra and Wrangler both have vaults from Lock'er Down. If someone is going to steal my gun they're going to have demo my vehicle to get the vault out and take it with them. Not sure they would be able to get into the vault in short order while it is in the vehicle. Regardless there is going to be enough damage where it is obvious whatever they stole was secured.

Also, I have Neal Tassel's number in my phone. I'm calling him first before I report the theft so I know what and what not to say when my second call is to LEO.
You should look at how easy it is to pick those locks

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH219SBE3SA

Also, be sure to know specifics. Rather than say "A trigger lock with a gun was stolen", say something like "A Franzen trigger lock with a three wheel combination what stolen while it was locked on a gun". The more truthful details, the greater the credibility.

With many of the dial wheel combo locks, you can slide a tool into the mechanism going between the trigger lock and the trigger to spring the latch. Plus, you generally don't encounter mushroom drivers and other such distractions to picking in keyed trigger locks. There are several approaches to opening keyed locks - picking, shimming, rapping and impressioning. Rapping works surprising well on many cable type trigger locks.

Only if I had to go into a prohibited building.
This happened to me.

Purchased a new ATV in CT, went to register it in MA. The Polaris dealer in CT collected the sales tax but there was some sort of glitch so they sent me to another building to take care of the sales tax. That building had security and metal detectors. They would hold onto my wife's Swiss army knife but not my gun.

Gave the wife my gun (she has an LTC) and she waited in the car. If I was by myself I would have done a whole lot of driving for nothing.

If someone steals a gun from your car, presumably they'll also steal the locked case it was in. Unless you open your yap and say something stupid, how would the police ever know it wasn't in a locked case, with a trigger lock as well as a cable lock through the mag well on it? It never ceases to amaze me how people get themselves into trouble for no good reason. If I ever had a gun stolen I'd be calling a lawyer before reporting it.

In mass you have to put it in a steel case, then that case needs to go in a titanium case, you then have to chain it to the nearest immovable object. you must have 2 attack dogs in the car and 4 alarms. Oh, and the gun needs to be field striped.
Zcuse me. Is this while the vehicle is in motiong, ths "transporting" said firearm. OR is this "storage of a firearm" while you are at the local "99 Restaurant" while on the way home from the range?

Transporting OR Storage?

Also, be sure to know specifics. Rather than say "A trigger lock with a gun was stolen", say something like "A Franzen trigger lock with a three wheel combination what stolen while it was locked on a gun". The more truthful details, the greater the credibility.

With many of the dial wheel combo locks, you can slide a tool into the mechanism going between the trigger lock and the trigger to spring the latch. Plus, you generally don't encounter mushroom drivers and other such distractions to picking in keyed trigger locks. There are several approaches to opening keyed locks - picking, shimming, rapping and impressioning. Rapping works surprising well on many cable type trigger locks.
Don't be watching LockPickingLawyer on YouTube and sharing secret like this :)

For those of with less finesse, hammer or cutters. If you can't open it with a hammer, get a bigger hammer. Pair of twisted open end wrenches works pretty well too.

This happened to me.

Purchased a new ATV in CT, went to register it in MA. The Polaris dealer in CT collected the sales tax but there was some sort of glitch so they sent me to another building to take care of the sales tax. That building had security and metal detectors. They would hold onto my wife's Swiss army knife but not my gun.

Gave the wife my gun (she has an LTC) and she waited in the car. If I was by myself I would have done a whole lot of driving for nothing.

I have a lock box in all my vehicles for exactly this reason. It rarely gets used but when needed it’s priceless.

Sort of like finding your lost keys in the last place you looked.
I never understood that statement. Maybe my thinking is why you mentioned it.

Who finds their keys and keeps looking for them?

Or is it that people cut down the statement from its origin, which is "it was in the last place *I thought* to look."

If you found a gun in the car you broke into, would you keep looking for more goodies? Probably.

That's my shower thought for the day.

Do you own a Glock?

Remove the upper and mag.

Keep the frame on you and go where you want.

It’s not a gun so it’s not illegal.

Thoughts?

This happened to me.

I would have just left the gun in the car covered up under something out of sight line in that situation (actually I probably have done that once or twice in my time in Mass). Yea I know the old adage, better safe than sorry, but people tend to be over the top paranoid about this kind of crap.

Truth, and I think there’s a lot of confusion as to what is an effective solution. Myself included. I think something is probably decent, and along comes the lockpicking lawyer to destroy that notion.

I feel like other factors in a layered security approach are more important. E.g. don’t park in shit areas if you can avoid it, don’t be an attractive target with stuff strewn around the car visible, keep the firearm storage discreet etc..

The last one is understandably difficult as the more discreet the location, there will likely be more effort to put it there or retrieve it and that effort will likely not be discreet.

Definitely some truth to that, but I think it gets pretty foggy when it comes to figuring out what is actually decent.
Even the nicest towns in Mass are turning into shit areas. Democrats are moving dirtbags everywhere. No town or city is immune.

They want to make sure that there are no safe places. Couple that plan with disarmament, and prosecuting anyone who defends themself against criminals, and innocent people are now completely vulnerable. They will then agree to any infringement on freedom and liberty in order to feel safe again. It's the classic way to foment revolution in a country, and most people are oblivious.

Any issues that involves firearms and legal issues, I'd want an attorney that does just that; not one that does other things that happens to also include 2A stuff (i.e. he is so good at what he does, he doesn't need to do anything else). Have your friend do his due diligence in attorney selection. For me it would be Attorney Jason A. Guida
This isn’t just a 2a licensing issue.

This is a serious criminal prosecution. @nstassel is an experienced criminal defense attorney.

I’m not saying Guida is not a competent attorney. I don’t know his experience in criminal defense.

What to hear something dumb? If you are caught committing a crime and have tools used to access the interior of a car, you will be charged with possession of burglarous tools. Since a car is neither a building or a vessel, it would then fall under a “container” for a burglary related charge to apply. Was the car locked? Shouldn’t the locked car, being a container, then satisfy the secure storage requirement (rhetorical question since we all know the answer)?

Even though I live in a state with no "safe storage" laws I keep the guns I'm not using locked up. They cost money and I don't want some casual a**h*** to just break in and steal them. I do the same in my truck.

I also don't tell random people that I have and use guns, but that's the same anywhere.

What to hear something dumb? If you are caught committing a crime and have tools used to access the interior of a car, you will be charged with possession of burglarous tools. Since a car is neither a building or a vessel, it would then fall under a “container” for a burglary related charge to apply. Was the car locked? Shouldn’t the locked car, being a container, then satisfy the secure storage requirement (rhetorical question since we all know the answer)?
This is why I prefer the bat (and glove) over a “Slim Jim”

Similarly if you keep a bat in your car keep a baseball glove too

Back
Top Bottom