• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE NEW LOOK MEGA THREAD - all comments about the new version go here !

my one complaint is the quick navigation doesnt just go right to what is listed (to the board this thread sits in) but has a drop down menu which is a PITA. i checked out my forum settings and i cant seem to find a tweak to fix that.

Can you give us info on browsers/OS/etc? I've tried it under several browsers under Fedora Linux 12 (Firefox 3.5.6, elinks, Chrome 4.0.249.43) and it works peachy keen a-ok. I had to dump my cookies (well, selectively hacked out the NES ones) to be able to login, but I'm back up and running.
Is it possible you did something to get your classified deleted? It is odd that a single thread would vanish...

I'm liking it now with the red, the default theme was gawdawful. Keep up the tweaking Derek, you'll win the naysayers over eventually. The bar at the top with the title, ads, home/forum/blog etc is a bit weird looking, still.

Looks like I can log on fine now, I emailed Derek about Opera....tools, advanced, cookies, and deleted Northeastshooters a couple times, didn't work, but seems to work now.
I was/am mainly interested in finding out what happened to my classified....all I did was bump it (last night). The other classified I bumped worked fine, but one simply disappeared? Add to that the new system and I was a bit frustrated :)

Try not to be too harsh on me. I'll be the first to admit that I know practically nothing about how forums operate. I just had a though/idea/suggestion. If someone had a dedicated server that was able to handle the bandwidth, would it be possible to have a mirror site with the old forum layout for those that don't like the new design? Basically, everything would be identical except for the layout itself. If you post on one, it automatically will post on the other as well etc.. Is this even feasible, or would it be too much of a headache to try to maintain the two of them due to compatibilty issues and such? As I said, I may be way off the mark on this one, but I was just curious if it would work.

Try not to be too harsh on me. I'll be the first to admit that I know practically nothing about how forums operate. I just had a though/idea/suggestion. If someone had a dedicated server that was able to handle the bandwidth, would it be possible to have a mirror site with the old forum layout for those that don't like the new design? Basically, everything would be identical except for the layout itself. If you post on one, it automatically will post on the other as well etc.. Is this even feasible, or would it be too much of a headache to try to maintain the two of them due to compatibilty issues and such? As I said, I may be way off the mark on this one, but I was just curious if it would work.

i would assume that would take a serious setup due to the amount of traffic this place gets. i help run another forum i am on, and there are a ton of settings and stuff to go through, just give it time for derek to finish it and im sure everyone will get used to the new layout and it will be better.

I don't mind the new look. It will take some getting used to where the buttons I used to hit all the time went. I did notice an issue with the heade/banner. There is text overlapping. It is on a laptop with a 1024x768 screen.

attachment.php

View attachment 8090

Last edited:
BTW...The text in the reply box is incredibly small...it looks to be about 6 or 8pt.

I also noticed this.

As far as all the extra space being taken up on a thread, I think a lot of it might be due to the larger avatar size bumping the space out.

I also am having trouble going back to edit a post. I just get a spinning cursor, and it never brings up the box with text to edit. Could just be me though.

I tried logging in this morning on the shuttle bus on my BlackBerry and it was going nuts with out of memory messages and a Java error message. It also got hung up on the graphics. These are all new problems on my BB with NES. Is there a way to turn off some of the graphics to make NES a little more BB friendly? The biggest benefit, scrolling through the pages is much faster.

Thanks!

I don't mind the new look. It will take some getting used to where the buttons I used to hit all the time went. I did notice an issue with the heade/banner. There is text overlapping. It is on a laptop with a 1024x768 screen.

View attachment 8090

Working on the header for those running 1024 resolution.

No real need to mirror the site. If someone wanted to take the time to develop alternate themes, they could be installed. Then each user could pick the theme they like the most. Unfortunately this is a lot of work, coding, testing, etc. Perhaps it will be considered when this theme is done.

Don't worry, I'm sure Derek and the team will have this new version tuned up and working well. The look and feel (Colors and all) can be easily changed. It just takes some time.

Derek luv - thanks for all your hard work.

To everyone else - Dennis wasn't kidding when he said you need to be a NASA scientist to make changes. Holy crap D - my appreciation for you went up 20 fold when I saw the document you had to work off of... yikes.

No real need to mirror the site. If someone wanted to take the time to develop alternate themes, they could be installed. Then each user could pick the theme they like the most. Unfortunately this is a lot of work, coding, testing, etc. Perhaps it will be considered when this theme is done.

Don't worry, I'm sure Derek and the team will have this new version tuned up and working well. The look and feel (Colors and all) can be easily changed. It just takes some time.

I will be adding different "user selectable" color schemes in the near future so you can choose how you want NES to look. It just takes a little time, I apologize to everyone for the delay.

Nothing to apologize for at all. The new format looks good and will only get better as Derek has more experience with it.

OMG!...Wait... you mean its gong to take time to get this whole thing figured out....

I am just going to drop to the floor kicking and screaming in a fit or rage.... someone come get me up when things are back to normal!!

[wink] ... Clearly Im having too much fun with peoples distress... Ill stop now....

OMG!...Wait... you mean its gong to take time to get this whole thing figured out....

I am just going to drop to the floor kicking and screaming in a fit or rage.... someone come get me up when things are back to normal!!

[wink] ... Clearly Im having too much fun with peoples distress... Ill stop now....

Me too - the techno-whiners are too much fun! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom