• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The most unreliable gun you've shot

This is an interesting thread that I missed until now, somehow.

Anyway, my 22/45 is probably the most unreliable gun I've tried. With the right ammo it does pretty well. However, the whole point of the thing is cheap ammo, not CCI Minimags. My M&P9 kind of sucked too.

Also, for the record, I've shot a number of Fooped's guns at NES shoots and all ran 100% and I appreciate his generosity.[smile]
My 22/45 has ALWAYS made the round go bang. I don't think I've ever had a FTE or FTF with it, and I've run probably 750 Federal Bulk Pack rounds through it (I did buy it used, and I don't know round count prior to my ownership)
Because pretty much every .22LR semiauto pistol is a piece of s**t in some way or another. My SW 22A isn't too bad, and will run right given certain kinds of ammo, and cleaning it, and its magazines, at regular intervals.... but it's still a .22 semi, no real getting around that part.

-Mike
As said above, I've had no problem with my junk 22/45. I'd spend another $250 to do it again.

two words herbert schmidt its a german 50's potmetal clone of a colt frontier in .22lr it likes to fire one cylinder then when you go to eject the rounds then you have to point it downward or else they get caught on the slightly loose loading gate so bad you have to pull the cylinder pin out and take the whole thing out get the shells out then put it back in also it randomly goes out of time if you even do get it to fire more than one concescutive cylinder and manage to reload it without jamming.

god i hate it

ruger gp100 still havent got it fixed yet went shooting with some pepole and someone was useing it then mysteriously it was like completely out of time and we were using my warm reloads and some probably 80's vintage American something ammo that was terrible its totally screwed its from 1989 and god knows how many owners it had before so i don't blame anyone i took it apart multiple times the cylinder locks up tight in the gun but outside of it spins freely its really strange will not shut at all with empty cases or live ammunition in it .

eddystone 1917 sporterized was picky about ammo for some reason only liking light 150 grain Russian steel cased ammo would not chamber m2 ball unless you did it one at a time someone filed the follower to get rid of the bolt hold so it would also eject the 5th live round with the 4th empty case replaced the follower haven't tried it yet.

My Ruger MkII takes most anything I can put in it except the realllly cheap hollow points that come lose in the box so I'm a little surprised. Then again those wouldn't even feed in my bolt .22. 2/3 of those things would catch the corner of the feed ramp and jam it up. Remington Thunderbolt from wally world has run almost perfect in all of them aside from a bad primer now and then.

My 22/45 has ALWAYS made the round go bang. I don't think I've ever had a FTE or FTF with it, and I've run probably 750 Federal Bulk Pack rounds through it (I did buy it used, and I don't know round count prior to my ownership)

As said above, I've had no problem with my junk 22/45. I'd spend another $250 to do it again.

I don't doubt that yours is great. That doesn't change the fact that mine kind of sucks.

Because pretty much every .22LR semiauto pistol is a piece of s**t in some way or another.

shocked.gif
Mike, I've had four different Ruger Mark pistols, from the Mark 1 to the Mark III. They may be a POS to take apart and reassemble, but all four of them are stone-cold reliable. The ONLY time I ever had trouble was when Remington changed the shape of it's bulk pack bullets - that made them ram their little hollowpoint noses RIGHT into the ramp of my Rugers ever time. Solution? Stop buying Remington ammo. (and I KNOW it was the ammo because I had some old boxes that I could compare the new design to...) But they like Federal just fine, thanks. They're boring like that... squeeze the trigger, they go BANG! every time.

My Beretta 21A was also a very reliable gun (until someone who I won't name was prying Aguila Super Colibri cartridges from the chamber with a screwdriver instead of racking the slide since they didn't have enough power to cycle the action...), too.

You may well just wind up getting crappy autos, but mine have been very reliable. You do NOT speak for me when it comes to .22 autopistols.

Sig C3 GSR (Sig's 1911). Tried a bit of everything and gave up. It just jammed all the time.

Regarding the question why I didn't return it to Sig for repair... I was heading up to NH for business and figured I could just drop it off. They refused to allow drop-off, instead requiring costly shipping. As a matter of principal I just decided to sell it, and learned that Sig's customer service sucks from this and other experiences.

I did trade it, with full disclosure of the jamming to the new owner. He saw it as a challenge.

P22 - It works 50% of the time even with 'good' ammo and 5 different mags. Maybe I should send it back to S&W to be melted into scrap then get a new one with the same shitty quality. Or just keep it in the safe where it has been for the past 2 years.

AMT Backup - Just don't. It was given to me but it still had to make the list.

10/22 – *flame suit on* Yeah I’m sure it’s something simple or the gun just sucks, but the gun as a whole just doesn’t do anything for me so...

And no I haven’t and won't sell any of these abominations.

Sorry but this had to make the list:

Desert Eagle .44 Mag Mark VII. It needs to be kept very clean (50 or so rounds and it will start to have issues), needs SUPER hot ammo, and a strong grip. Don’t get me wrong, I love the gun. Some of you may have shot it. It was Fooped’s way back when and has seen a few other more recent NES shoots.

Last edited:
You may well just wind up getting crappy autos, but mine have been very reliable. You do NOT speak for me when it comes to .22 autopistols.

I was exaggerating a little bit for dramatic effect, but .22 semis on the whole just seem to be more annoying to me.

I've had an SW22A for a few years now, it's relatively reliable as long as it, and its magazines, are perfectly clean and it's decent ammo (CCI SV or better). With bulk pack (of nearly any brand) it can be hit or miss. If you let it get dirty, it will punish you though... and it doesn't take much for it to get to that point. I guess I should probably take it out soon. I haven't fired it in over a year now. Hell, it's probably been 2 years. [laugh]

My Ruger MKII still jammed once in awhile even with the ammo that it "liked" even after sending it to ruger once (where they basically replaced everything in the gun except for the frame and the barrel). Basically I got bored with the gun and sold it. (It was also getting hard to get .22 LR Blazer at the time, which was the only thing that gun ate with any notional of reliability. )

I was babysitting a Ruger MKIII, it worked OK overall but whenever I shot it I fed it CCI SV, which it seemed to like, we'd still get jams on some bulk stuff, though.

The most rounds I've ever run through a 22 was a Walther P22 a friend of mine had... we ran over 20,000 rounds through that thing before the slide cracked in half. It rarely jammed, but it still did once in awhile. I think the gun has been to S&W twice though. (For the slide cracking in half, and the safety flapping itself on and off in the middle of fire strings).

Some of it is ammo, but I found that on average, if any gun is going to let someone down, it's probably going to be a ..22 semi pistol. It just seems as though if you look at them the wrong way, they start to jam. [laugh]

The only .22 LR which hasn't annoyed me was the SW617 I had. That thing ran fine even when it was filthy, didn't matter, just kept shooting like a champ. Cleaning it was annoying. I got bored with it and sold it, in retrospect I probably should have kept it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Because pretty much every .22LR semiauto pistol is a piece of s**t in some way or another. My SW 22A isn't too bad, and will run right given certain kinds of ammo, and cleaning it, and its magazines, at regular intervals.... but it's still a .22 semi, no real getting around that part.

-Mike

Model 41?

Ruger Mark III until I put in a different extractor. It worked great after that. Another friend had a Star 9mm.. that thing was a complete POS, which surprised me. It seemed to be built solid, maybe too solid. The slide would not go all the way forward when it would cycle, even with different ammo.

Blitz1's Socom

Rob's DE 44

Shot em both and handed them both back with a stupid "what do I do now" look[wink]

You limp wristed.

[dance]

And Kev probably hadn't cleaned the thing in years. [laugh]

Ze Zig is a zuperior engineered gun wis ze benefits of the AK and the ze prezision of the AR... It does not need cleaning... [laugh]

But Kev only owns guns that never ever ever need cleaning[wink][smile]

Puhleeze...

I've put over 1000 rounds through the Socom, it failed 3 times, double that in the Sig with no failures.

1st it was the Socom not the Sig.
2nd it was bad brass, the extractor took a chunk of brass out of the casing, they were reloads.
3rd The Socom is a pain in the ass to clean. The Sig is easy and gets cleaned occasionally.
4th and most importantly You can all Kiss My A$$.

[kiss]

Last edited:
Model 41?

A couple folks I know who have Mod 41s say they're just as fussy as the rest of them, although from what they tell me if you stick to "decent ammo that the gun likes" you won't have problems. Obviously the trigger is much better.

-Mike

I used to have a Norinco SKS back when I lived in upstate NY, it pretty much jammed every 5th round or so no matter what type of ammo I used. mine was pretty much a total piece of junk.

A couple folks I know who have Mod 41s say they're just as fussy as the rest of them, although from what they tell me if you stick to "decent ammo that the gun likes" you won't have problems. Obviously the trigger is much better.

-Mike

Mine hasn't had too many problems - it certainly doesn't FTF nearly as much as my other .22s in the past have. The 22A is also pretty reliable.

My brother in laws Yugo 59/66. When he first bought it, it would FTE so bad you'd have to slam on the bolt with your boot to get the spent case out. Took it to the gunsmith and it turns out the gas system is jammed with cosmoline. Now it functions flawlessly.

Springfield M1A (Loaded Standard model). Replaced entire trigger assembly with a military unit to fix the full auto like bursts that would occasionally crop up. Replaced the flash suppressor as I noticed 2 of the prongs or tines broke at one end while I was shooting it...not both at the same time either. NO HELP AT ALL from Springfield Armory on any of this. Rifle was only a few months old at the time too. I'll never buy another Springfield Armory, Geneseo, IL product again. Ever. Rifle shoots/cycles OK now but the darn thing is/has been never more than a 2-3 MOA rifle from day 1.

A close second would be an IAI .30 Carbine. Cast receiver was a real piece of junk. FTEs and FTFs constantly. The only single shot 30 Carbine I've ever seen. I ditched the thing several years ago and got an IBM from Fulton Armory....flawless....

Jury is still out on the Klingon disrupter I'm evaluating....power settings are unpredictable.

Beretta 92fs brigadier inox. Thing stovepiped all the time. Used stock mags that came with the gun, tried aftermarket mags and used various different ammo types. Accuracy of the gun was horrible. Groupings would be all over the place. Would put it down and pick up my SW 1911.....Bullseyes all day. Sold that POS and moved onto other handguns.

The specific model was discontinued a couple years back. Wonder if the reason they discontinued it was because of the issues I experienced? Never found out why.

Desert Eagle .44 Mag Mark VII. It needs to be kept very clean (50 or so rounds and it will start to have issues), needs SUPER hot ammo, and a strong grip. Don’t get me wrong, I love the gun. Some of you may have shot it. It was Fooped’s way back when and has seen a few other more recent NES shoots.

A gun made for gorillas.

Back
Top Bottom