The most unreliable gun you've shot

Beretta 92FS, probably THE worst pistol I've shot. Stovepipe on every other round, FTF's, you name it, it did it. Changed ammo, mags, recoil springs, extractor...nothing helped. Couldn't wait to get rid of the gun.

that is really hard to believe unless there was something seriously mechanically wrong with the gun.

The 92FS's open slide makes stovepipes almost impossible. I've shot thousands of the shittiest and weakest ammo I could find without problems.

My MKIII doesn't sound much better than the P22's folks are complaining about here. i'm going to do the LCI-ectomy on the next teardown, and it being a mark III, one must schedule teardowns. [laugh]. It rarely shoots a complete mag w/o stovepiping.

S&W mod 22. My father and I purchased a pair of them so we could shoot together. What a piece of crap both of the guns were. We ended up returning both to S&W no fewer than 4 times each before they would function properly.

My best friend had a Taurus PT100 (Beretta 96 clone). Damn thing would not make it through an 11 round mag without 2-3 FTEs or FTFs, or some combination thereof. After 2 trips back to them, it was still just as bad.

Mine was actually a Beretta 96. I think it was the Border Marshall Edition (it's been a couple of years). It functioned ok, most of the time. But it couldn't hit the side of the barn! I know it wasn't just me, either. Several people shot it, plus we shot it off the rest and if we hit the paper at 25 yards 50% of the time, it was a good day. The dealer that sold it to me bought it back at only a minor discount (he was one of the people that shot it with me) and sold me a Springfield XD (this was when I lived in AZ).

I've never had any issues with my 22A. Other than the finish coming right off the barrel (down to bare metal). I guess I got something on it at the range and it stripped it right down. Eventually, I'll get it duracoated just for S&Gs.

Aloha,
Doug

This is an interesting thread that I missed until now, somehow.

Anyway, my 22/45 is probably the most unreliable gun I've tried. With the right ammo it does pretty well. However, the whole point of the thing is cheap ammo, not CCI Minimags. My M&P9 kind of sucked too.

Also, for the record, I've shot a number of Fooped's guns at NES shoots and all ran 100% and I appreciate his generosity.[smile]

This is an interesting thread that I missed until now, somehow.

Anyway, my 22/45 is probably the most unreliable gun I've tried. With the right ammo it does pretty well. However, the whole point of the thing is cheap ammo, not CCI Minimags. My M&P9 kind of sucked too.

Also, for the record, I've shot a number of Fooped's guns at NES shoots and all ran 100% and I appreciate his generosity.[smile]

I've never had a problem with my 22/45. Win Super-X, Fed bulk pack, and CCI Blazer all day long.

I've also shot a lot of Fooped's stuff, and appreciate his generosity (even if he did make me catch all the .50AE brass coming out of that AR!), but that damn Mk23 just wouldn't run for me that day.

ETA: And just to be perfectly clear so he doesn't get mad at me again, he told me it might not run right, and I told him he was right, THAT DAY. And it was still one of the coolest guns I've ever been allowed to shoot. Fooped, you da best. Except for the .50AE brass thing. Not cool.

Last edited:
AMT Hardballer. Total piece of crap, and when the Arms Merchant in Natick tried to modify the mags so it'd feed better he only made it worse. Kinda wish I had it back so I could try some GOOD mags (like Chip McCormick) and see how it would work with them. But only kinda. Good riddance.

My 22A was very unreliable until I found the right ammo. Now it's only kind of unreliable.

My MKIII doesn't sound much better than the P22's folks are complaining about here. i'm going to do the LCI-ectomy on the next teardown, and it being a mark III, one must schedule teardowns. [laugh]. It rarely shoots a complete mag w/o stovepiping.

Anyway, my 22/45 is probably the most unreliable gun I've tried.

Guys? Why aren't you sending these lemons back to the manufacturer to get worked on?

AK fans are gonna love this one, but based on number of malfunctions, my runaway favorite is my WASR-10...

Had to pound the ejector and bend it up to get it to reliably kick rounds out. Even still, it still eats a case now and then...

I'm a fan but I certainly know what you're talking about. I built a AMD-65 on a NDS-65 receiver and it has ejection problems as well.

It's either too shallow when picking up the left sided round from the double stack mag or it's too low because of the gas piston "pulling up" the carrier in the rail and thusly kicking the ejected round straight into the top of the dust cover. Either way, I've squeezed the receiver in a bench vise in hopes of getting it to function by deepening the ejector into the bolt, and will bring a hammer and a punch to the range in order to beat it up like you did to yours.

so yeah, my AMD65 takes the cake at the present time.

But it is a pretty bad ass rifle, fun to shoot too.

no doubt about that, but it'll be even better when I get it reliable. Just like my short-headspaced ak74 which is now running like a top.

Fixing a AK is easy. It just takes some patience and an iron will to keep you from heaving it into a body of water.

I've never had a problem with my 22/45. Win Super-X, Fed bulk pack, and CCI Blazer all day long.

I think I probably just got a bad one. I did find some Aguilla high velocity stuff that it liked a lot. I should probably just stock up on that.

New Romanian built PSL in 7.62x54R.

Couldn't get it to feed or chamber a single round from 8 different magazines and 6 different ammo types. Back it went for a full refund. NEVER AGAIN. I'll build my own from now on.

Guys? Why aren't you sending these lemons back to the manufacturer to get worked on?

Because pretty much every .22LR semiauto pistol is a piece of s**t in some way or another. My SW 22A isn't too bad, and will run right given certain kinds of ammo, and cleaning it, and its magazines, at regular intervals.... but it's still a .22 semi, no real getting around that part.

-Mike

I'm going to change my vote from "Fooped's Mk23" to my Argentine Hi-Power. It's broken, and I am incapable of fixing it [sad] even though it's only a $3 part that's messed up.

I'l give you 20 bucks for it. [grin]

New Romanian built PSL in 7.62x54R.

Couldn't get it to feed or chamber a single round from 8 different magazines and 6 different ammo types. Back it went for a full refund. NEVER AGAIN. I'll build my own from now on.

8 magazines is pretty wild. Usually feed problems are due to their follower spring being in backwards. But there's no way in hell that 8 magazines had 8 springs installed incorrectly. Wow.

Because pretty much every .22LR semiauto pistol is a piece of s**t in some way or another. My SW 22A isn't too bad, and will run right given certain kinds of ammo, and cleaning it, and its magazines, at regular intervals.... but it's still a .22 semi, no real getting around that part.

-Mike

Exactly.

Plus, I did send my Ruger back to the factory. They sent it back and it was doing the same damn thing. I suppose I could keep sending it back but that gets tiresome quickly.

-Mike

Yeah, this, pretty much. It likes Federal ammo well enough, and a misfire every now and again isn't enough to really motivate me to send it back (especially considering I'm at least 3rd owner and I don't know it's history), only to find out that it probably still does the same thing. It's still a fun range gun, I don't need to trust my life to it. It only made this list because out of my collection, the 22A is what qualifies.

Without question, the PPK. My uncle, a retired detective in San Diego had one jam on him when he needed it most, as a bg shot at him. Still liking them and figuring he just got a bad one, I bought one myself a few years later. Nothing but trouble. Picky about ammo, jammed at inconvenient times (though not as inconvenient as his). Never again.

Back
Top Bottom