The most unreliable gun you've shot

I'd be flipping mad myself. Fooped found out months not minutes after the fact that his gun was supposedly having problems. If it was me and I had some of my guns out for a shoot and a problem started to arise I would want to know that moment not months later. I feel Fooped has all the right in the world to be mad. A little courtsey when shooting others guns is to speak up and say I'm having a problem or I think the gun is having a problem.

So how did you like my warthog??

What's the consensus on the Ruger Single Six? I had one once and mechanically it was okay, but I found it to be far from accurate. I think it was the 5 1/2 inch model.

I had one of the early M-1 carbines imported by Blue Sky from Korea. Real POS wouldn't fire more than 5 rounds without jamming. I thought it was the mags but I put them in another carbine and they functioned flawlessly.

What's the consensus on the Ruger Single Six? I had one once and mechanically it was okay, but I found it to be far from accurate. I think it was the 5 1/2 inch model.

Alway had good luck with them, accurate up to about 25 yards or so,then the bullet would fly, but overall not a bad gun. The one I shot was in 22 mag

Kiver, I liked shooting your warthog. The grip is a little to wide for my hands but besides that I found it fun to shoot. I almost bought one awhile ago but decided to hold off. At the time I didnt want to create any more debt for myself so I held off buying one. After firing yours and reading the numours problems you and others have/had I can say that is one purchase I'm happy to not have made.

Finally someone said it. I agree every 500 i shot i hated.
They seem to be well loved but I'm not a fan myself.
I have a 410 that isn't great. It used to load one into the chamber one into the dirt mossberg repaired it and it is OK now. Buddy bought one of the 3 1/2 12gauge 500s and we had the trigger mechanism rattling around loose first day of shooting it. Dealer took that one back and he picked up a used 1100, wise choice IMO.

Guess I had a bad one then........would you ever buy another one?

Even top of the line gun makers will have a few bad ones slip through, as we all know. Would buy one, only for a deal though, probably wouldn't actively seek one out, but if I saw one at a good price, probably.

Even top of the line gun makers will have a few bad ones slip through, as we all know. Would buy one, only for a deal though, probably wouldn't actively seek one out, but if I saw one at a good price, probably.

Did you ever have any bad ones at the shop at all? I actually like Ruger handguns. The Mk II and Mk III's are hard to beat for accuracy, plus their SP101's are built like a tank.

P22. Most finicky gun I ever owned. All kinds of FTF and FTE issues. Sent it back to S&W, after 3 months it came back a little better. Not much, though. Thankfully that gun is long gone.

What kind of problems did you have with it? Was it just noisy as far as loose parts in the field or did it have FTFs?

Loose in the field and FTE and i never felt the gun "handled" a round very well. i guess with an aluminum receiver the reduced weight added to a lot of muzzle flip. I carefully tread on 500's and M&P's because people on the board are to sensitive about those subjects.

Finally someone said it. I agree every 500 i shot i hated.

Really? Why? I love my Mossy 500. Stone cold reliable and durable. In fact, it's the first firearm I bought. Never had a problem with it. How is it any different than any other run-of-the-mill pump action shotgun?

Very poorly made in my opinion

Regarding that Mossy 500, what year was the one you hated made? I bought mine used in 1987 so I have no idea how old it actually is or how many rounds have been through it, but I've beat the shit out of it and never had a problem. Poorly made? Mine's built like a brick shit house. Very solid. Nice bluing and wood, too.

I'd be flipping mad myself. Fooped found out months not minutes after the fact that his gun was supposedly having problems. If it was me and I had some of my guns out for a shoot and a problem started to arise I would want to know that moment not months later. I feel Fooped has all the right in the world to be mad. A little courtsey when shooting others guns is to speak up and say I'm having a problem or I think the gun is having a problem.

Just to add something here...

Greg told me, upon handing me the firearm, that i may have some feeding and/or extraction issues. And I did tell him that he was right.

Did you ever have any bad ones at the shop at all? I actually like Ruger handguns. The Mk II and Mk III's are hard to beat for accuracy, plus their SP101's are built like a tank.

Never had anyone complain about one they bought, always heard positive feedback about them. Don't see too many single sixes come through, but when we do get them, they fly out the door quick. The only Rugers that I have really ever heard negative things about are the larger caliber pistols, 9mm and up. Their rifles have always gotten good feedback as well.

Loose in the field and FTE and i never felt the gun "handled" a round very well. i guess with an aluminum receiver the reduced weight added to a lot of muzzle flip. I carefully tread on 500's and M&P's because people on the board are to sensitive about those subjects.

Well, I'll stomp all over the M&P's.......I know two shooters who had total failures with their M&P's at a well known indoor range. After about 200 rounds one was jamming every round, the other one froze up totally and had to be taken off the firing line by the RSO. Not my idea of a reliable gun. Other folks love them, however.......

Never had anyone complain about one they bought, always heard positive feedback about them. Don't see too many single sixes come through, but when we do get them, they fly out the door quick. The only Rugers that I have really ever heard negative things about are the larger caliber pistols, 9mm and up. Their rifles have always gotten good feedback as well.

Just curious, would you carry a Ruger for self defense? You must have a favorite carry gun for use at the shop?

Just curious, would you carry a Ruger for self defense? You must have a favorite carry gun for use at the shop?

They make a pocket 380 that is very nice. Tiny little thing, but supprisingly accurate, and it is a little fun shooter that seems to be reliable as well, I would carry that. As far as a favorite carry gun.....probably a glock 30, I usually don't carry at the shop though, seems to me like it is the safest building in salisbury, I wouldn't want to try and knock over a gun shop[wink]

Last edited:
My 92FS works flawlessly as well. I normally feed it Remington hardball and it has never jammed or anything. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it into combat.

+1 I've shot thousands of rounds through 92fs's and I've never had a problem. We had some issues with the locking block cracking, but that was with super high round counts.

+1 I've shot thousands of rounds through 92fs's and I've never had a problem. We had some issues with the locking block cracking, but that was with super high round counts.

I've bought mine to the range on 2 different occasion and shot the shit out of it with every type of 9mm I had. Out of 6 different readily available types of ammo, I never had any issues with it.

They make a pocket 380 that is very nice. Tiny little thing, but supprisingly accurate, and it is a little fun shooter that seems to be reliable as well, I would carry that. As far as a favorite carry gun.....probably a glock 30, I usually don't carry at the shop though, seems to me like it is the safest building in salisbury, I wouldn't want to try and knock over a gun shop[wink]

Are you ever there alone? If so you are unarmed? Thanks for sharing on a public forum.

P22, jammed all day long even with good ammo. Ejected the shells all over the place, many times down the back of my shirt as well. To be fair I bought it VERY will used. I sent it to S&W and they sent me a brand new one. I didn't use the new one once, I just sold it.....

for all the P22 issues there are actually 2 VERY easy fixes that i did in about an hour in my basement with a demmil. has never jammed on me and every shell is out and to the right as it should be.

For me, the Sig mosquito. fired 2 different ones (3 years appart and the last was just out of the box)

no matter what ammo we used we could never get more then 3 rounds without a jam. big POS IMO.

Yup.... IMO if a 92 is jamming, someone got a really bad factory lemon.

The 92 has other faults, but reliability generally isn't one of them. I've known guys that didn't clean theirs on purpose, and the worst that happens is visible clods of crud will start coming out of the action after about 7000 rounds or so. [laugh]

-Mike

My first gun was a M&P 9 full size. I didn't like it for several reasons one being how many FTE's I had with it. I tried numerous brands of ammo and still had occasional issues. Additionally, I was not accurate with it. I put thousands of rounds through it until I finally broke down and let it go. However I am tempted to buy a M&P45.

Back
Top Bottom