• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Advice - Am I a bad person

Go big or go home.

Private party. Scaled back slightly so it isn't quite as expensive. Buy yourself a nice gun. While you are at it, get your wife something nice.

Since you already have guns, and probably can buy another if you choose to anyways, why not add a third option: Do something you've always wanted to do/dreamed about doing/fantasized about doing/etc? For my next "achievement birthday", my family knows what I want. To heck with another gun (twelve is plenty) and parties are OK but do the memories REALLY last? And you usually see most of the people you'd see at your party if you attend someone else's event anyways (or wedding/anniversary etc. All pretty much interchangeable, when you get right down to it, eh?) .

Take a red-eye/cheap flight (if you're into flying cheaply) and go to Vegas, or helicopter the Grand Canyon, or a cruise, or a quickie Key West trip during that sex circus they have annually, etc. For my next biggie, they're saving to send me to a place Florida where I can fly in a fighter jet for an hour. Google it. Or Google whatever YOU always wanted to do - and just do it. And enjoy it. And don't ask anyone else if they think you "should" do it.
One Life. Do it.
Just my opinion but works for me. Good luck and Happy Birthday!

OK - My birthday is coming up in June - Big 5-0

So my wife and kids come to me and tell me - we want to give you a choice:

1. Private party at a local restaurant with 30 - 50 friends - Cost @$2,000

2. $1,500 to buy your "toys" - ie Guns, ammo etc...

I am leaning towards #2. I mean a party is one night, but a couple new guns is a lifetime :)

Thoughts??

Unless money is an issue, at your 50 year milestone have the party and get your self a nice new gun.

Not a fan of birthday parties, but a big get together at the house for beers/burgers/horseshoes is always fun and way less than 2k! I got the ok to get a nice custom 1911 done up after my son was born so I can eventually hand it down to him. Maybe do something like that so you can leave it to one of your kids?

Option 3 gift certificate at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. Seriously I'd go for the guns because they will last whereas the party is gone and a fleeting memory. The guns can be heirlooms that you can pass down in the family as well. Makes for a more memorable and meaningful gift.

OR... pull something mediocre out of the safe and send it to Greg Derr and have it magically transformed into the coolest gun in the safe.

Have a catered party at your house. We did 55 people for $250 for the father in law. We did our own beverages and napkins, plates, decorations, etc.. Caterers did the food food. I think we borrowed tables and chairs from the church. This leaves $ for a nice 1911. Get it engraved for the occasion.

OK - My birthday is coming up in June - Big 5-0

So my wife and kids come to me and tell me - we want to give you a choice:

1. Private party at a local restaurant with 30 - 50 friends - Cost @$2,000

2. $1,500 to buy your "toys" - ie Guns, ammo etc...

I am leaning towards #2. I mean a party is one night, but a couple new guns is a lifetime :)

Thoughts??

Ironically you posted this on my 40th B-day. lol.

Personally I blew a bunch of money to go back up to MA for the past 5 days. Money I easily could have used on a new toy. Instead I spent the night at a party in my honor @ a friend's house. Dad, brother, sister, wife and my 8 closest friends were there.

These friends are all 25-30+ year relationships. There isn't one of them I haven't loved for more than half my life. There were a dozen or so other friends and acquaintances there also. Getting that core group of friends all in the same place at the same time is virtually impossible now a days. Lives, wives/husbands, kids, etc... Some are married to each other w/ kids. So usually only one goes out on any given night, blah, blah.

These are the people who made me who I am and were influenced by me in turn. Two of them are married now because I introduced them to each other ~20 yrs ago. Damn near all the memories that I will take to the grave were made with some/all of them. If I'm very, very lucky we may all be able to get together like that another handful of times in our lives. Other than attending the inevitable funerals.

I had one of the best nights of my life. Without question. Especially since I hadn't seen anyone there, other than my brother and wife, since I moved just over a year and a half ago. I can always buy another gun sometime. That night was like catching lightning in a bottle.

I'm sure, by this point, my suggestion is self evident. Sorry for rambling. I just got done with the 17 hr return drive about 30 min ago and probably have enough caffeine in me to kill a rhino. Maybe even charlie sheen. [laugh]

Whatever you decide. Enjoy and happy 50th. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom