• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Advice - Am I a bad person

OK - My birthday is coming up in June - Big 5-0

So my wife and kids come to me and tell me - we want to give you a choice:

1. Private party at a local restaurant with 30 - 50 friends - Cost @$2,000

2. $1,500 to buy your "toys" - ie Guns, ammo etc...

I am leaning towards #2. I mean a party is one night, but a couple new guns is a lifetime :)

Thoughts??

#2 is great as long as your wife isn't the type of person that will throw it back in your face and guilt you into thinking you're selfish.

I'd go for the party. Spend a few bucks on a pro photographer, memories for a lifetime. Especially after your friends start passing on. Guns and ammo? Yeah, all well and good, but a major milestone like that, I bet your family would like more than to look at few thousand rounds of 5.56. Plus, for $1500 you're not getting anything exotic. Just my $0.02.

I'd go for the party. Spend a few bucks on a pro photographer, memories for a lifetime. Especially after your friends start passing on. Guns and ammo? Yeah, all well and good, but a major milestone like that, I bet your family would like more than to look at few thousand rounds of 5.56. Plus, for $1500 you're not getting anything exotic. Just my $0.02.

This.

Am I missing something with the math? If the party was going to cost $2000, and option #2 is $1500 for a new toy, doesn't that leave $500 for a scaled back party or a night on the town? Just sayin'...

invite the people to your house to play with the new toys. cheap beer pizza and guns. thats a party.

speaking as someone who does not anticipate an average life expectancy... This x1000

I'd go for the party. Spend a few bucks on a pro photographer, memories for a lifetime. Especially after your friends start passing on. Guns and ammo? Yeah, all well and good, but a major milestone like that, I bet your family would like more than to look at few thousand rounds of 5.56.

^ That hands down.

Am I missing something with the math? If the party was going to cost $2000, and option #2 is $1500 for a new toy, doesn't that leave $500 for a scaled back party or a night on the town? Just sayin'...
My thoughts too. Smaller party with close friends and family. Buy a new toy with the savings.

I, personally, hate big parties where I'm the center of attention - My wedding, while fun, was pretty awkward for me (Thank god my wife was the REAL center of attention or I think I'd have died of alcohol poisoning). So, that being said, I'd go for #2. Couldn't get anything exotic, as has been said, but I feel like you could get something pretty damn nice.

Guns ain't everything, matter of fact they are only materialistic things that mean nothing.
Have the party, enjoy your family and friends, get a tattoo to remind you of the kick ass party you had on your 50th...

By the way, Happy Birthday!

~Matt

Your birthday is for you and not others. If you don't like parties and would just prefer some new toys, this is a no brainer - get the new toys. Who the hell wants to celebrate getting older anyway.

1. Private party at a local restaurant with 30 - 50 friends - Cost @$2,000
Private party at Chinese or Thai place. You can do a decent party for $20 or less per person, total code $1000.

Now, you have $1000 left over out of the $2000 to buy guns.

But, something is wrong if you need permission to buy guns.

My wife did one of these for me a few years ago to celebrate me not being dead, and it was very reasonable. Plus, the guys chipped in an bought me a beautiful hammer drill (Hitachi) and a harbor freight belt sander and drill bit set.

since you're wife gave you the choice, take the $1500 , buy $1000 in toys (or 1 toy) and put the other $500 into a barbecue.

a big IF---if you're wife really wants the restaurant, just do it and enjoy. you're old enough, and i assume married long enough to know what she really wants

Great comments!! Makes me think.... I like this idea - smaller get together and the $1,000 for toys.

Married 29 years so I think she is ok with what I decide (then again never assume you know what they are thinking)

I ran a party at the local Italian restaurant for my wife's 40th, 4 yrs ago. Separate room, buffet style, all the good stuff, 35 people, cash bar, ran me $800. got a couple of hun off cause I paid ca$h ! [laugh]

$2k for a party is a lot.

Maui, Hawaii...

Sorry, I think the question was for Palladin.

I had the same choice, same month a few years ago. I chose option two because I don't like being the center of attraction or birthdays parties. Two weeks later I had a cookout on the fourth for both our friends and family. So, I got the best of both worlds. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom