Most overrated handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For something to be over rated, someone, somewhere would have to actually think it was a good idea in the first place

I can't say enough bad about a .410 handgun. The Judge, without a doubt wins this contest. Sadly, I've run into tons of people who were convinced the Judge was perhaps the most powerful and best self-defense gun, ever. Even on this forum.

My favorite gun, the 1911, is second (although a distant second). My love for it is totally irrational.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Glocks are too cheap and utilitarian to be over rated.

In order to be over rated, the gun has to cost way more than it should for what it does - like a P7M8

I can see the 1911 (too many weepy gush-fests, and the over use of the word 'venerable'), but a Glock? No way.

I'll stick by my first post though - The FN Five-seveN is the most overpriced, over rated handgun ever conceived. It's a $1000 .22 mag with more expensive ammo.

I see your 5-7 and raise you a modern Colt peacemaker based on that same criteria. Free state prices are circa $2700 for a 150 year old design, single action revolver.

I see your 5-7 and raise you a modern Colt peacemaker based on that same criteria. Free state prices are circa $2700 for a 150 year old design, single action revolver.

Come on, you need another sip of Colt Kool Aid [wink]

For old guns the 1911.
For new guns the M&P series.

The 1911 is an interesting phenomenon, to get a good one, it really needs to be fitted properly and that drives up the cost. And unless you are putting 10's of thousands of rounds down range, that $2k+ 1911 is not a good value. Then you have the companies that assemble low cost 1911, they never run right and give 1911s a bad name. They are really a "All or nothing" gun

Old Taurus handguns are great, I love my PT945.

I'd have to go with the venerable 1911 as well. Apparently for enough money they can cook, clean, and even do windows.

The 1911 is an interesting phenomenon, to get a good one, it really needs to be fitted properly and that drives up the cost. And unless you are putting 10's of thousands of rounds down range, that $2k+ 1911 is not a good value. Then you have the companies that assemble low cost 1911, they never run right and give 1911s a bad name. They are really a "All or nothing" gun

There seem to be plenty of 1911s in the $800 to $1200 range that run well. My S&W never had a problem.

I'll add in another vote for the FiveSeven. Most overrated handgun (and handgun cartridge) ever created.

The 1911 is overrated as a class, but it is a distant second. (And I say this as someone who owns them and will likely buy more of them) but there is no dodging around the deficiencies in the design, and the fact that among non junk class guns, I've seen more 1911 jams/problems than all others combined. Doesn't mean you can't get a good one, but it might take some work to get it there, or at least, some testing.

-Mike

Last edited:
There seem to be plenty of 1911s in the $800 to $1200 range that run well. My S&W never had a problem.

How many rounds through it? My SW 1911 is all sorts of sloppy after 40K rounds. Accuracy has fallen off. Parts needed to be replaced, trigger jobs redone. My customs still lock up almost as tight as they day I got them and accuracy is great. 2lb trigger is still a good as day 1

Thats the difference between good and great 1911s

How many rounds through it? My SW 1911 is all sorts of sloppy after 40K rounds. Accuracy has fallen off. Parts needed to be replaced, trigger jobs redone. My customs still lock up almost as tight as they day I got them and accuracy is great. 2lb trigger is still a good as day 1

Certainly not that much but I think you said it with " the difference between good and great", but that's not what you said originally.

I agree that if you want a handgun that will last and only want to spend $1k or so, a 1911 probably isn't the best choice.

It's German, you can't help but sound angry when speaking it properly [laugh]

I think Russian is the same way. [smile]

[video=hulu;5zMdOw9zZ0YQm-qWL2GNlQ]http://www.hulu.com/watch/19147/the-simpsons-russian-district[/video]

Who the hell puts 40K rounds through a handgun? Sheesh, you are ruining it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom