• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun twitches right on trigger break

You probably just need more dry fire practice. Your grip might need work. Your support hand could be pushing you to the right.

Finger off the trigger, along the frame. The spot on the frame where your trigger fingertip touches when extended is the spot your support hand thumb needs to reach to. If your support hand thumb is very far past this point you'll shoot outside. The other thing people get wrong a lot is grip. I see people talking about 25/75 or 60/40 but that shit doesn't work. I hold 50/50 and squeeze fairly tight, but not tight enough to shake or get tired. I usually shoot both eyes open, looking at the target, front sight blurry, with the pistol fairly high, that is I think of almost bringing the bore axis up to my eye line when I come to high ready.

Best thing you could do IMO is get professional help instead of building on potentially bad habits.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Isn't this what is termed "trigger slap", when the trigger breaks and there's an excess of travel past that point?

Nope. Slap is when your finger is off the trigger face before you start. You slap the trigger, there is no prep, no stop then increase pressure. You just slap right thru it. Works very well

Not sure 🤷‍♂️. (Im not, and have never been, an NRA instructor, and don’t believe I got it from one, but could be wrong).

I’ve had this (or variations of it) for years. Seemed an appropriate thread to deploy it in.

The problem with the chart is you could switch around any of the answers to almost any spot.

Nope. Slap is when your finger is off the trigger face before you start. You slap the trigger, there is no prep, no stop then increase pressure. You just slap right thru it. Works very well
I guess I assumed that's what it's called because I've heard people complain about a particular gun having 'trigger slap' and being annoyed by it.
Well, whatever this is, it should have it's own term, 'cause it's a 'thing'...

I guess I assumed that's what it's called because I've heard people complain about a particular gun having 'trigger slap' and being annoyed by it.
Well, whatever this is, it should have it's own term, 'cause it's a 'thing'...
How about trigger bite? I had a P227 with that annoying feature.

Does the firearm have an adjustable backstraps? Maybe your trigger finger needs more placement on the trigger.
Also try ear plugs with your muffs you could be flinching from the gunfire.
The PDP has 3 backstraps try a different size.

Last edited:
one of the first posts asked what your trigger pull weight is. You quoted the manufacturer specs. Why not measure it and make sure it's correct? Are you shooting one handed or two? Can someone else try the trigger while you watch? Try it left handed!!

View: https://youtu.be/Lr60W3F1-PQ?si=E8o4v793xuslm9Ye

This guy talks about a different issue but his drill is pretty cool. He suggests dry firing and live firing with just your trigger finger, thumb and webbing of your hand. The idea is to isolate your trigger finger from the rest of your grip. It helped me tremendously with trigger finger control.

Took a course with Tim Herron a year ago, and he was the first instructor I'd ever heard advocating for slapping the trigger on close shots. It works.

This is happening while I am dry firing. I have tried to modify my grip and trigger squeeze, and at times it seems to get fixed. But I don't seem to be able to do this consistently.

How do I go about fixing this?
More dry firing.

The key is that you have to isolate the movement of your trigger finger from the rest of your fingers on your dominant had. You need to keep the rest of your grip constant as you pull the trigger. If you increase the strength of your grip as you pull the trigger, then the muzzle will dip.

Not sure if this is relevant but....
Get your grip, place your sights on the target, close your eyes.
Then look down or away, back to the gun and open your eyes.
If the sights have moved off target, adjust your stance and do it again until it stays on target when opening your eyes.
When I shot bullseye I'd do it before shooting, then mark the floor with chalk at the toes of my shoes, then made sure I returned to that spot..
The other thing is the old coin on the barrel during trigger squeeze on target while dry firing. When there's a "click", the coin should not fall.
Then while shooting, sight on target, squeeze, watch the front sight, slowly squeeze and let the "bang" surprise you.
If you can say "now" as the gun fires, you're anticipating the break and probably jerking the trigger.
That's it, I'll go back to my room....

Back
Top Bottom