Trigger job on a S&W Bodyguard 380?

Nothing says "great carry gun" like "it sucks so bad that I never train with it".
Next time try reading my post all the way through.

"I don't shoot it much for obvious reasons but I do exercise it to maintain my confidence in it, it runs good but my hand is sore!!!"

In this instance exercise means shoot it, but I am sure I don't "train" to your high standards.

Not if you get a broken one, of which, there were many. 🤣 The reality is there's a ton of other pocket guns that completely grind it into the pavement in more than one aspect. Even a first revision Keltec P3AT with a buff job makes the BG380 look poor in comparison.

Bear in mind....

This... is the BG380s progenitor; literally one of the worst guns ever made and probably the worst gun smith ever made......

View attachment 871463
I have one - fire just enough to be proficient in a pinch understanding it's a hail Mary resource for essentially touch distance defense.
Other than going bang for cheap there isn't much to write home about.
And the reason why it's so cheap is that its so universally hated - crappy trigger and horrible ergonomics.

Next time try reading my post all the way through.

"I don't shoot it much for obvious reasons but I do exercise it to maintain my confidence in it, it runs good but my hand is sore!!!"

In this instance exercise means shoot it, but I am sure I don't "train" to your high standards.
Define "exercise". One mag once a year?

Define "exercise". One mag once a year?
No, that would be a couple of mags every couple of weeks followed by a complete breakdown and cleaning/lubrication.

I kind of expect these sort of replies from you by now. I don't know exactly what is going on but my only guess was you were bullied by a Macaw when you were a kid. :D

That's what I did, about 5-7 years ago.
I don't think they make the 238 anymore though. :eek:
It’s not currently in production but not discontinued either is my understanding. I hope that they can just produce it periodically to fill demand? Not a high demand firearm right now I’m sure, but I’ve seen new in stock at gun shops.

There are worse ones than that, but not many.

The BG380 carries on the lineage of the original Smegma 380, which was a piece of pot metal garbage that had a magazine you had to pinch the sides on to remove. That thing was an even bigger hunk of shit. [rofl]

Damn, after I thought I forgot all about the SW380, you had to remind me of it again. Calling it a "hunk of shit" is being kind. In addition to the mag release, I think the slide was die-cast from a zinc alloy. To clean it, you had to punch out a roll pin. It's claimed that S&W said it was only good for 2,500 to 3,000 rounds, but I don't know if that's true or not.

There are worse ones than that, but not many.

The BG380 carries on the lineage of the original Smegma 380, which was a piece of pot metal garbage that had a magazine you had to pinch the sides on to remove. THAT thing was an even bigger hunk of shit. [rofl]
I almost want to own one just to show off what a POS it is!!

No, that would be a couple of mags every couple of weeks followed by a complete breakdown and cleaning/lubrication.

I kind of expect these sort of replies from you by now. I don't know exactly what is going on but my only guess was you were bullied by a Macaw when you were a kid. :D
I didn't realize I'd developed a reputation [laugh]

It’s not currently in production but not discontinued either is my understanding. I hope that they can just produce it periodically to fill demand? Not a high demand firearm right now I’m sure, but I’ve seen new in stock at gun shops.

I was looking at how to take it down and clean it, holy crap what a nightmare. Apparently if you don't hold a pin back or something, it has to go back to Sig. Maybe that's what they're re-designing.

Not if you get a broken one, of which, there were many. 🤣 The reality is there's a ton of other pocket guns that completely grind it into the pavement in more than one aspect. Even a first revision Keltec P3AT with a buff job makes the BG380 look poor in comparison.

Bear in mind....

This... is the BG380s progenitor; literally one of the worst guns ever made and probably the worst gun smith ever made......

View attachment 871463
Sw Sigma I had one

I was looking at how to take it down and clean it, holy crap what a nightmare. Apparently if you don't hold a pin back or something, it has to go back to Sig. Maybe that's what they're re-designing.
Basic field strip on a p238 is simple. Not sure what you’re referring to.

When I dig far enough back in an old safe I forget some of what I have. Yup, this thing is pretty bad.

Bought it cheap at a gun show. Every time I would shoot the thing the mag would drop. I sent it to S&W and they sent it back with (2) new mags and the mag I sent with the gun. The mag I sent with the gun they just spread the clips further apart so now you had to slam it into the gun. [rofl] Didn't help much at all, the mags would still drop (horrible design since squeezing the grip also releases the mag!!!). Then to disassemble it for cleaning you have to drive out a roll pin.:rolleyes:

The gun is a total failure. But I will keep it just like a car collector keeps an Edsel so as to have an example of a total failure.

1712842622637.jpeg

Some of you guys have to stop sniffing Ayoob's glue fumes. [rofl]

I cut the cable cord not long ago & have been watching some YouTube TV stuff. The guy can be unwatchable at times.

Re the BG: I have one that I use exclusively when I ride my bicycle. It's small enough to ride with and I don't care if I get it schweddy. I think I paid $200 for it used. I also got one for my office manager after she tried mine because she wouldn't carry the 238 in a belly band because she doesn't like cocked & locked. She carries the BG regularly and I'll chalk it up to "the best carry gun is the one you'll carry". If I'm not mistaken, Ruger makes a similar DAO super micro .380, I just haven't seen them anywhere or I'd consider getting one (and one for her).

It’s not that big a deal, my wife has one it takes seconds to strip and reassemble. A child could honestly do it once shown. It’s also not the most reliable gun. I spent time polishing the feed ramp on hers and it works most of the time now but it won’t shoot anything other than round nose reliably. Put a hollowpoint first in the mag so it goes on first shot and then round nose for the follow up shots. The 238 is real pretty but She has a G42 now that she carries and it is 100% more reliable than the p238.

Had a Bodyguard 380 with laser and thought the laser was useless. Got rid of it when the model without the laser came out. I liked the small size. Had it in my pocket while in my boss’s office as she went on a rant about the absolute ban on weapons of any kind in the workplace after a guy brought his crossbow in to show another guy. I wasn’t going to tell her that about half the male staff carried. Anyway, I got rid of it for the Sig P938 Legion. That didn’t last long, replaced by the M&P Shield which for me is the perfect fit.

I have one that I use exclusively when I ride my bicycle
That is mostly when I carry mine, also when I am jogging (I really don't "run" anymore). It is only a 380 but it will stop a Pit Bull from ripping open my calf muscle.

The BG 380 serves its purpose well for me. Compact, lightweight, and conceals easily.

I duno I’ve field stripped it just fine??

I had one like 15 years ago. Was one of the biggest pieces of shit I ever owned.

If you want a pocket .380 the choice is pretty easy and it's Glock 42.
This makes no sense. People don't choose the 380 to pocket. We choose the small gun that happens to only be in a 380. You might as well use the 43.

This makes no sense. People don't choose the 380 to pocket. We choose the small gun that happens to only be in a 380. You might as well use the 43.
I own a Glock 43 now for pocket.

It made sense when I bought my G42 because the G43 wasn't out yet. I sold my 42 when I left MA.

I had one like 15 years ago. Was one of the biggest pieces of shit I ever owned.

If you want a pocket .380 the choice is pretty easy and it's Glock 42.
I’ve owned both. The BG is what is is. It’s super lightweight and works…almost always anyway. The G42 is the softest shooting gun i’ve ever owned, but I preferred the BG’s heavy trigger for pocket carry and the G42 feels significantly bigger.

They’re not target guns and I don’t know why people treat them as if they are.

Back
Top Bottom