• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hey, is that a pre-ban mag.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my >30 yrs of shooting, I've never experienced what some are describing here . . . and I'm thankful about that.

I bought all my AR mags used (no bags) during hte Fed Ban or just afterwards, have never looked for date codes and never had anyone question me on them. [I have seen numerous newbie posts on NES by confused people thinking that it was illegal to put a pre-ban mag in a post-ban gun, but we try to educate them (if possible), not look down our nose on them.]

I've belonged to 4 different clubs and shot at a handful of other clubs plus attended many NES shoots and not run into these type of people. I've even shot Glocks . . . perhaps I've just not run into the victims of a certain gun shop who has terrorized gun-owners with lies that owning Glocks is illegal and that they could get thrown in jail if seen with one, etc. [angry]

If someone approaches me with a genuine question because they are unclear about the law, I do try to educate them, just like I've tried to do here since Derek started this forum. If they are obtuse, I'll just ignore them and go about my business.

At no time would I be willing to strip down a mag to prove it's provenance on the range!

Pmags don't have a date code.

[rofl] [laugh] And it's a good thing that they don't. [wink] Especially since some shops have sold them as "pre-ban" (which they are NOT)! [thinking]

istockphoto_119255-numbers.jpg

Last edited:
No one has ever asked but I would probably just answer "Yes, do you want to try it?".

I have had some strange looks at the range when I shoot my Sig556 SCM. It is crazy loud and I try to get a shooting lane at the far end so I am not kicking brass at other shooters. Once, I really was putting some rounds down range and had just thrown three 30 rounders through and when I looked up, everyone on the range was just looking at me. I just smiled and said, "That is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Anyone wanna try?" A few of said "Hell yeah" It was awesome. It was like giving away smiles!

That was probably the best 300 rounds I ever paid for. I don't give a rats ass how much of a Fudd you are, once you get some trigger time with a 30 round mag in the rifle you are hooked. It's like crack

No one has ever asked but I would probably just answer "Yes, do you want to try it?".

I have had some strange looks at the range when I shoot my Sig556 SCM. It is crazy loud and I try to get a shooting lane at the far end so I am not kicking brass at other shooters. Once, I really was putting some rounds down range and had just thrown three 30 rounders through and when I looked up, everyone on the range was just looking at me. I just smiled and said, "That is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Anyone wanna try?" A few of said "Hell yeah" It was awesome. It was like giving away smiles!

That was probably the best 300 rounds I ever paid for. I don't give a rats ass how much of a Fudd you are, once you get some trigger time with a 30 round mag in the rifle you are hooked. It's like crack

Many years ago my buddy and I were shooting up in Andover and nobody was at the rifle range. I had my AR he had an AK. We pissed through 3 - 30 round mags. each. A few minutes later a range officer came by and said, "hey who declared WWIII, take it easy guys, the neigbors will complain". [angry]

Last edited:
The last party I was at this guy had a thirty rack of Miller Lite and I was like, "Hey, I hope that's a post-prohibition hi cap thirty rack!"

this is probably the same guy that always asks "hey where did you get the Glock! You know those are illegal in Mass don't you?

I don't like people coming up to me at the range and I don't go up to people at a range. You don't know who they are, if they even belong there, and what their intentions are. Could be an escaped prisoner for all I know that is looking to snag a gun.

+1 Probably is the same guy [smile]

Also just because they might think it's a post-ban high-cap doesn't mean it is. Could be one of those Cali-edition pinned P-Mags for all they know. For the most part I don't mind people coming up to me at the range and talking (not that i'm really one to do it). But once they start asking about stupid crap like that the conversation is over.

Yeah - it's a problem with the FAL, and the M1A, and pistols that accept pre-ban high-caps.

But it solves the problem with:

I was kind of being facetious with my answer- eg, why limit yourself... Why does it have to be a "problem"? I see no reason to play show and tell, with anyone over the status of my mags.

If you're having people pester you over the mags you have, you might want to find a different place to shoot. [wink]

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom