Hey, is that a pre-ban mag.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, you’re at the range and shooting your AR15 using a legal pre-ban 30 round mag.

Another club member comes over and says, “hey, those 30 round mags. are illegal (in Mass.)unless it’s a pre-ban mag., is it?”

You don’t know this guy and have never seen him at the club before.

How do you response? I'm a non confrontational person so I'd just invite him to take a look at it he he wishes.

BTW this did NOT happen to me, I’m just curious to know how you’d reply.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Put up or shut up, in other words, better be able to prove it or you might not be on that line for very long. That is a bad game to play.

I'd ask him who he was probably. Not polite to come over getting in my business without introducing himself. Then I'd tell him yes it was, and go back to what I was doing.

"Pre-ban mag"?

"WTF are you talking about"?

"I never heard of pre-ban mags before".

Put up or shut up, in other words, better be able to prove it or you might not be on that line for very long. That is a bad game to play.

I don't have to prove jack to some busybody on the range. Particularly when I'm the Chief Range Safety Officer at my club.

bang bang bang bang bang bang I cant bang bang hear bang you bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
Why yes it is a 30rnd mag. Just checked it. Now if you don't mind I have many more I need to verify
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang......

MYOFB BUTT BOY

this. also light up a newport for effect. borrow one if necessary.

i'm expecting to actually run into this situation one day, i've already gotten the "your gun is too loud and bothering the other fudds up shooting trap" about my .308 so it's just a matter of time i think.

If they aren't a cop I'd tell him not to worry about it, I am aware of MA laws and I follow them. If they ran and got a range official I'd get pretty aggravated and tell the official I don’t appreciate having my balls busted from some Joe Blow who has nothing better to do and has no right to ask me.

I'm not confrontational either but I hate the wanna be enforcers. No one even talks to me at the range anyhow, I’m not part of the cool gang.

this. also light up a newport for effect. borrow one if necessary.

i'm expecting to actually run into this situation one day, i've already gotten the "your gun is too loud and bothering the other fudds up shooting trap" about my .308 so it's just a matter of time i think.

I had a guy at the club shooting a few lanes over from me. He packed up his stuff, got in his car, then pulled his car up behind my lane, but all slanty-like the way cops do. He hops out of his car and yells (I have earpro on):

"excuse me, can I talk to you about that rifle?"

The rifle may, or may not, have been in a preban configuration with a post-ban lower. Who knows.

As it turns out, though...the guy was trying to get into the AR scene, and had a few questions about them. Still scared me shitless though.

That. I HATE when people go out of their way ask something like that.

Hey, so...I uhh, couldn't help but notice while I was looking through your shit that you have some hi-capacity magazines there, brosef. I really hope those wouldn't happen to be illegal or anything, because I was like, hanging out at the gun shop the other day annoying all the customers and someone said they were illegal. And this guy claimed to be ex-special forces so he like, obviously knows all this stuff and now I idolize him and hope to learn everything he knows so I can be a ninja too. Anyway, I'm going to go back to shooting my $1000 ultra-tacticool 10/22. Did you know the israelis used to use these for crowd control?

Wouldn't happen where I shoot......but in any case.......I'd probably look over say....." Did you just assume me to be a F'ng criminal?" in not so kind of voice.....

I saw this happen on the line - it ended with shouting and cursing. I don't ask crap regarding anyones gear - other than "May I shoot that, I'll replace the ammo." Not my business, its their liability.

Hey, so...I uhh, couldn't help but notice while I was looking through your shit that you have some hi-capacity magazines there, brosef. I really hope those wouldn't happen to be illegal or anything, because I was like, hanging out at the gun shop the other day annoying all the customers and someone said they were illegal. And this guy claimed to be ex-special forces so he like, obviously knows all this stuff and now I idolize him and hope to learn everything he knows so I can be a ninja too. Anyway, I'm going to go back to shooting my $1000 ultra-tacticool 10/22. Did you know the israelis used to use these for crowd control?

HAHA [rofl] You must know my buddy, he is the total FUDD-Ninja you just described. As hard as I try, he always either FUDD's up the conversation, or Ninja's his way into knowing something or someone that no one else could possibly know.

HAHA [rofl] You must know my buddy, he is the total FUDD-Ninja you just described. As hard as I try, he always either FUDD's up the conversation, or Ninja's his way into knowing something or someone that no one else could possibly know.

There's a lot of them out there.

how'd you get 33 rds in that mag?

[laugh] bored at work, dude?

Wouldn't happen where I shoot......but in any case.......I'd probably look over say....." Did you just assume me to be a F'ng criminal?" in not so kind of voice.....
Thats the best answer.. "are you accusing me of breaking the law"? and then of cousre to be followed up with MYOFB.

HAHA[rofl]. Oh man....

I would ask them what authorization they have to ask that question and then tell them not to assume things in a nice way of course. LOL

Not everyone in LE wears their badge pinned to their forehead 24/7. Dangerous to make assumptions about "random Joe" that one runs into on a range. And downright rude too!

Not everyone in LE wears their badge pinned to their forehead 24/7. Dangerous to make assumptions about "random Joe" that one runs into on a range. And downright rude too!

What assumption is being made that they ARE LE or NOT LE?

I hate when people accuse you of things. I would hate to have a nice pre-ban rifle with people asking every five minutes if it was legal.....of course people where I shoot generally keep to themselves.

I hate when people accuse you of things. I would hate to have a nice pre-ban rifle with people asking every five minutes if it was legal.....of course people where I shoot generally keep to themselves.

You obviously don't shoot at Harvard.

What assumption is being made that they ARE LE or NOT LE?

Although post-ban large-cap mags in MA are illegal for most people, one can't assume that the person who is being questioned about the legality of his mags isn't in LE and entitled to them. Thus I feel that it's rude and out of place for some random person to start asking questions of everyone he sees with large-cap mags on a range. MYOB works best there.

I think I'd assume that it was a friendly conversation until proven wrong. If they're LE and they think there's a problem it's probably going to go in that direction regardless of my initial response - in fact being hostile about it will probably only make a "problem" more likely to arise. There are lots of clueless new folks on the scene though, so it's just as likely to be an innocent enough question from somebody who's genuinely curious or otherwise oblivious to proper etiquette.

If it's non-LE and they're looking to bust balls though, anything goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom