• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hey, is that a pre-ban mag.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although post-ban large-cap mags in MA are illegal for most people, one can't assume that the person who is being questioned about the legality of his mags isn't in LE and entitled to them. Thus I feel that it's rude and out of place for some random person to start asking questions of everyone he sees with large-cap mags on a range. MYOB works best there.

Gotcha and yes you're right, asking anyone is sheer stupidity.

90% of people at the range haven't even heard of pre-ban post-ban, especially out here. A lot of guys you tell "oh well I have to have this pnned because of the assault weapons ban" will laugh in your face and not believe you, and this is in MA.

Mike

Usually, when someone at the range starts talking to me about the ban status of mags, they're telling me that they have a bunch of p-mags on them or in the safe at home. I'm not sure what to make of that, but in case it's anyone here, I'd like to make a suggestion: if you know that you're doing something illegal, random people at a gun range should be far down on your list of people-to-tell.

Hey, so...I uhh, couldn't help but notice while I was looking through your shit that you have some hi-capacity magazines there, brosef. I really hope those wouldn't happen to be illegal or anything, because I was like, hanging out at the gun shop the other day annoying all the customers and someone said they were illegal. And this guy claimed to be ex-special forces so he like, obviously knows all this stuff and now I idolize him and hope to learn everything he knows so I can be a ninja too. Anyway, I'm going to go back to shooting my $1000 ultra-tacticool 10/22. Did you know the israelis used to use these for crowd control?

ROFL!!! I'd +1 you, but my + ability is bugged due to a vbulletin error, DEREK, which I PM'ed you about a while back! *poke*

90% of people at the range haven't even heard of pre-ban post-ban, especially out here. A lot of guys you tell "oh well I have to have this pnned because of the assault weapons ban" will laugh in your face and not believe you, and this is in MA.

Mike

You're so right. We had a new guy at our club that was a new, inexperienced shooter too. He had a nice new S&W M&P 15 rifle and couldn't hit paper at 50 yards. He was totaly frustrated so I offered to help him out getting his scope zeroed. We got to talking and he was showing me his mags, etc. Sure enough, he had a post ban 30 rounder and didn't know the law. He was grateful for the help and also for letting him know about our Massachusetts mag law.

I guess I'm trying to say that sometimes it's ok to educate folks. Just don't be an a$$hat about it.

this is probably the same guy that always asks "hey where did you get the Glock! You know those are illegal in Mass don't you?

I don't like people coming up to me at the range and I don't go up to people at a range. You don't know who they are, if they even belong there, and what their intentions are. Could be an escaped prisoner for all I know that is looking to snag a gun.

I really cant stand the people that think they are up on their high horse telling you what you should and should not have. What they dont know is that they are not on a horse at all....they are just clapping two coconuts together. I would tell him to piss off.

/John

Not everyone in LE wears their badge pinned to their forehead 24/7. Dangerous to make assumptions about "random Joe" that one runs into on a range. And downright rude too!

It is usually easy to tell. Most times the LEOs are the ones who can't shoot for sh*t. Or like the one we ran into at Woodcock who was practicing for qualify and stopped because his hand started hurting from shooting his .40. At least he was nice enough to give Paul a full box of ammo he didn't use for letting him use a set of our extra hearing muffs...yes he came to the range without his hearing protection.

I agree- I MMOFB at the range, and short of a little show and tell, do not lecture people and keep to myself..

I will get mad when some dude is wandering around the firing benches with no eye and ear protection, and I am waiting to shoot

It is usually easy to tell. Most times the LEOs are the ones who can't shoot for sh*t. Or like the one we ran into at Woodcock who was practicing for qualify and stopped because his hand started hurting from shooting his .40. At least he was nice enough to give Paul a full box of ammo he didn't use for letting him use a set of our extra hearing muffs...yes he came to the range without his hearing protection.

I like your avitar.

My response: "Yup. bang bang bang bang time to go" and I pack my stuff and go home.

I think I would simply answer "yes" and leave it at that, not entertaining any follow up or discussion. Asking someone nicely (or otherwise) to mind their own business would probably incite further inquiry, gossip, suspicion... I'm not saying you have to answer but you all know how these things tend to get out of hand when a busybody starts telling everyone that you were using illegal equipment at the range.

That being said, it depends on a number of variables (as should everything in life).

Considering the amount of P-Mags I see in use I assume it doesn't happen often at my club, remind me to stay away from Harvard however.

What is FUDDS? Sorry, still new here

Remember Elmer Fudd in the Bugs Bunny cartoons? It is a derisive term for the type of gun owner who is fine with gun ban laws, because his over-under will never be banned (so he thinks).

Do you even have to ask this question? The answer is clear...

Kindly provide them directions to the nearest Starbucks and express your heart felt concern and sympathy for them having gotten lost...

Other that or ask them if they have a valid LTC, club membership, driver's license and passport and can they please produce them otherwise you need to contact the appropriate authorities...

[laugh]

Ever notice how little 'some-guy-at-the-range" knows about gun laws, and how sure he is that he's an expert?

You want to make a Fudd's head explode? Show up toting a rifle with a giggle switch.

Considering the amount of P-Mags I see in use I assume it doesn't happen often at my club, remind me to stay away from Harvard however.

HSC is Fudd central? This is news to me.

About the only time I talk to anyone at the range is if they have a cool gun that I want to look at.

Everytime I'm at harvard I walk around the range looking for post ban mags so i can call the police.

ITS A LAW FOR A REASON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom