• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hey, is that a pre-ban mag.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a bunch of preban 30 rounders from a member here... I plan on going to test them all out next week. I've had some really great conversations with guys at the range....some annoying, but overall I just keep it friendly. He may just be looking to see where he could get some. If the conversation goes south, then I adjust my attitude accordingly.

I've had a young kid who was at the range with his mom admiring my new sig556 one time, so I invited him to shoot it, and he said "Wow this is cool, are these legal?" (referring to the 30 round mag) and I just explained it to him. He got to shoot a really nice gun, and learned a little lesson about MA gun laws too.

Last edited:
And aside from entrapment/persecuting citizens the reason for this law is?????

Well, in 1994, some large capacity magazines started eating babies. It's a little known fact, but a major change to the laws of physics occurred that year, and one of it's many side effects was baby-eating mags. After several seconds of hard research and consideration, members of congress concluded that the only way new high-capacity mags could be trusted was with constant supervision by the most responsible, attentive, and dedicated people in the country. Unfortuately, they couldn't find those people, so they went with LEOs, and now new high-cap mags are required to have a LEO supervisor at all times. (It's like a leash law). 10 years later, the laws of physics restored themselves, so that the new mags could be released into the wild, and most of the country gleefully returned to the good old days, but some states, like MA, were so concerned for the lives of babies that, even though the new mags are totally safe and never eat babies anymore, the leash law remains.

Long story short, it's for the children. Why won't somebody think of the children.

And aside from entrapment/persecuting citizens the reason for this law is?????

Because criminals wont use 10 rounds or less. Its common knowledge that they wont even want to use a gun as a weapon if it holds less then 11 rounds.

I'd probably be like "Yeah, it is preban.... but who are you and why are you asking? Are you even a member here?"

I'd be pretty pissed, regardless. If it kept happening on a regular basis I would not retain my membership at that particular club. Even though everything I own is legal, I don't like people nosing around asking dumb questions like that.

I had one guy that said to me "I thought those were illegal" when he saw my AR, but he wasn't trying to bust my chops, he just didn't have a clue about the laws in MA, and he thanked me for telling him about how the AWB works, etc...

-Mike

While I understand (and often am urged to use) the MYOFB response,
the "instructor" gene tends to kick in and I see it as an opportunity to educate the uneducated.

In my particular case, all of my 30-round AR mags are manufactered by and stamped with "Parsons Precision Products". Parsons mags were made from the early 1970's through the early 1980's, when they were bought out by Center Industries. So, mags stamped with "Parsons" were no longer manufactured well before 1994, and are all "pre-ban." In addition, the ones I have came in the original wrappers, which are date-stamped as well - in the 80's.

There is a MAG FAQ webpage that was put together during the AWB years that might be a helpful reference:

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2v

Again, I agree it's nobody's damn business. But if someone is asking because they want information so they can purchase these mags legally, I see no reason to not give them some background info.

Oh, and if you don't care for my post, TS!

Last edited:
Well, in 1994, some large capacity magazines started eating babies. It's a little known fact, but a major change to the laws of physics occurred that year, and one of it's many side effects was baby-eating mags. After several seconds of hard research and consideration, members of congress concluded that the only way new high-capacity mags could be trusted was with constant supervision by the most responsible, attentive, and dedicated people in the country. Unfortuately, they couldn't find those people, so they went with LEOs, and now new high-cap mags are required to have a LEO supervisor at all times. (It's like a leash law). 10 years later, the laws of physics restored themselves, so that the new mags could be released into the wild, and most of the country gleefully returned to the good old days, but some states, like MA, were so concerned for the lives of babies that, even though the new mags are totally safe and never eat babies anymore, the leash law remains.

Long story short, it's for the children. Why won't somebody think of the children.

I hate liberal feel good laws.

or rifles without bayo lugs

[smile]

Not to take this too far afield, but the mag capacity, bayo lug and flash hider restrictions were probably never enacted with street criminals engaging in their trade in mind. No, the .gov wanted to make sure that they had the equipment advantage over the masses if and when SHTF.

I would just say:

"It's ok. I have a friend who works for a certain gov't agency and he hooked me up with a Federal LTC. I can carry anything anywhere."

My other response is, "It's OK. Don't worry. I have this:
m159.jpg

That is why I go to the range when nobody else is there.

I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with that shit.

If by chance someone did ask if my mags are pre-ban or not, I would say "sure they are" and start shooting until they left me alone.

[smile]

Not to take this too far afield, but the mag capacity, bayo lug and flash hider restrictions were probably never enacted with street criminals engaging in their trade in mind. No, the .gov wanted to make sure that they had the equipment advantage over the masses if and when SHTF.

I believe it.

[smile]

That's giving them wayyyyyyy too much credit. (insert pic of diane swinestine, awb architecht, sweeping the crowd with a muzzle of an AK here, with finger on trigger).

-Mike

[smile]

The restrictions they picked were calculated only to make legal challenge to them difficult...

They had nothing to do with the functionality of the guns. Only trying to cast a wide net that would be tough to fight in court.

For whatever reason, our courts are more likely to oppose "complete bans" than they are "effective bans" or "partial bans"... The courts have repeatedly said they could care less if the laws make it effectively impossible to get something (like machine guns), so long as some inane legal theory still says you can. Just look at the argument very recently (Powell) on MA law WRT to 18-20yo possessing/purchasing handguns. This would not be the first time such an approach was tried. Let's hope it is not successful.

There is also no intelligent logic WRT to crime here either. Clearly, even a cursory glance at the FBI's data even then would show you that the guns they targeted were a non-issue in crime... It was a circus to appease their base and get a gun-ban foot in the door via classic incrementalism...

Last edited:
No, actually it wasn't.

When they came up with the assault weapons ban, they had to define what an assault weapon was. So they looked through gun catalogs and came up with the parts that they thought made evil guns look evil. The couldn't ban all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and knew that if they tried to ban a Remington 1187 or Browning Auto5 that they would never get the legislation passed. So they banned guns by name and by evil parts.

It was a circus to appease their base and get a gun-ban foot in the door via classic incrementalism...
Yes, it was the slice-the-salami strategy. They wanted to take a few slices off with this bill, then come back with another bill to take some more slices, and before too long the salami would be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom