Where did you buy your first gun?

First 'gun' I ever bought was a Crossman air pistol from a sporting goods shop in Wolfborough, NH. Shop is long gone. Still have that pistol. I think I was 14, maybe 13. In any case, I took the boat over because I didn't have a driver's license yet. Spent the rest of that afternoon plugging lead into the marker stake off the NW side of Moose island. (^_^)

First firearm I ever bought was a Marlin .22 I got from Horton's when it was still on Rt 135 in Framingham across from the train station. Got it about 30 minutes after I got my original $2 FID card. Still have both the gun and the card.

First handgun of a Self Defense caliber I bought was a Star Firestar in .40 S&W I found at a gun show for cheap while I was in my senior year of college shortly after my first pistol permit was issued. Postponed buying a book because of that pistol. Still have both the book AND the pistol. Don't think I've looked at the book except to move it, use the pistol a lot for training classes as it is the only gun I own with a magazine disconnect. (and the disconnect usually does not function properly - another teaching moment)

I grew up on a farm so there was never any reason to buy anything back then when I could just open our den closet and use what I wanted.
I always kept an interest in firearms and years later I bought a few hunting rifles and a 870 off a guy going through a divorce. My first handgun was a Llama large frame 9mm. I bought it from Millie's Guns in Farmington, N.H. back in 1984. Sold it in 1993 0r 1994 for $5 less than I paid for it. I sold all of the other guns over the years because I didn't know any better.[wink]

My first was a brand new Browning Sweet Sixteen A-5 back in late 80's at the Gun Room. I still can't believe that place is in business. I still have the gun, although i don't use it anymore...it kicks like a mule compared to the new gas loaders it's not very scope friendly. I'll pass it down to my boy in a few years hopefully.

First handgun....SW stainless 645 from a place on RT20 in Northboro....think it was called the Outpost, that place is long gone. Sad thing about it is I was passed over several colt 45's including a beautiful nickel officers model, that were almost the same money, just cause I wanted a double action. Boy was I stupid. I can also remember Glocks were just coming out for sale, I remember telling the guy they were ugly and I'd never buy one.......so I was wrong twice in one day....still banging my head against the wall.....WHY didn't I buy that COLT!!

Last edited:
My first was a brand new Browning Sweet Sixteen A-5 back in late 80's at the Gun Room. I still can't believe that place is in business. I still have the gun, although i don't use it anymore...it kicks like a mule compared to the new gas loaders it's not very scope friendly. I'll pass it down to my boy in a few years hopefully.

First handgun....SW stainless 645 from a place on RT20 in Northboro....think it was called the Outpost, that place is long gone. Sad thing about it is I was passed over several colt 45's including a beautiful nickel officers model, that were almost the same money, just cause I wanted a double action. Boy was I stupid. I can also remember Glocks were just coming out for sale, I remember telling the guy they were ugly and I'd never buy one.......so I was wrong twice in one day....still banging my head against the wall.....WHY didn't I buy that COLT!!

Mark, I'm having a brain cramp. Where was the outpost located. I remember a small shop across from Ward Hill ski area, but I can't remember the name of it. B.T.W. I bought my first gun , a H&R 12 Ga single shot shotgun, from Gary Merlini's gun shop on Main St in Marlborough Ma. in the late 60's.
Chuck

That would my Remington Model 700 in 7mm rem mag, at Northboro Trading Post.
First handgun....SW stainless 645 from a place on RT20 in Northboro....think it was called the Outpost, that place is long gone. Sad thing about it is I was passed over several colt 45's including a beautiful nickel officers model, that were almost the same money, just cause I wanted a double action.
Was that the place where the Havana House and the Computer Exchange are now? I bought my Ruger P90 from there... sold it to Nickle's son in law a year or two ago. And what kills me is I passed up a nice Colt Series 80 for it... even had money on the Colt and took it off to buy the Ruger!!
doh1.gif

My first handgun was a Llama large frame 9mm.
My buddy has a Llama large frame .45... one of the first .45's I ever shot. He had a gunsmith friend of ours put a Colt NM barrel in it... [laugh]

First guns that are truly mine: 10/22 from my parents and a .50cal Knight muzzleloader.
First gun I bought: S&W M&P40 from Four Seasons.

Dwarven, I bought a Ruger P85 9mm there as well....so I passed up the Colt's in the case not once, but twice.......double action auto's were all the rage....why I didn't buy the Colt Double Eagle he had in the case...I'll never know.

It could have been called the Northboro Trading Post...not sure......and I think it is a Computer place now. I'm pretty sure it was a log cabin type building on 20 not too far from 495.

Chuckster,

It was definately not across from Ward Hill, that was another place called Neverfields??? or something, my father would know.....

1st handgun was a Hi-Std Supermatic Tournament .22 bought at Ivanhoe's in Watertown in 1976.

That's where I bought my first handgun also, right next door to M&H racemaster. I don't remember the model number, but it was a J frame in 32 S&W long. That was in June 1973.
I sold it shortly afterwards when I realized what an anemic caliber it really was. I still have the model 36 I bought to replace it. I bought that from a prosecutor, who bought it from Kevin White the former Mayor of Boston.

Was that the place where the Havana House and the Computer Exchange are now?

It could have been called the Northboro Trading Post...not sure......and I think it is a Computer place now. I'm pretty sure it was a log cabin type building on 20 not too far from 495.

I'm pretty sure that Mark is right. I remember stopping in there on the way back from off-site meetings when I was at DEC in the 1980s. IIRC the entrance was from the left, down below.

There was another place in a small strip plaza somewhere in that neck of the woods too.

Dwarven, I bought a Ruger P85 9mm there as well....so I passed up the Colt's in the case not once, but twice.......double action auto's were all the rage....why I didn't buy the Colt Double Eagle he had in the case...I'll never know.

Chuckster,

It was definately not across from Ward Hill, that was another place called Neverfields??? or something, my father would know.....

Thanks Mark

Chuck

Chuckster,

It was definately not across from Ward Hill, that was another place called Neverfields??? or something, my father would know.....[/QUOTE]

That would have been Neverfail's ( became The Outdoorsman ) it was on Rt 12 in West Boylston. It was where the Army/Navy store is now.

Colt SAA for $30 from a neighbor. The second was a GI surplus 1911 for $50 from a mail order place. Both, unfortunately, long gone.

Ken

First rifle - Glenfield model 60 - right before they were bought out by Marlin.

First Handgun - S&W 686 when they first came out.

I should mention (if I haven't already) that my first rifle was a 10/22 bought at Service Merchandise in Paramus, NJ. New in 1981... and I still have it. And it will be on the line on Saturday at the Appleseed Shoot if needed as a loaner LTR.

Back
Top Bottom