What not to do with your new gun.

I've been working at an auto parts store, maybe not for much longer, but that'll be another post hopefully in the future.

Yesterday evening, a man walked in and asked to borrow a screw driver. Sure, loan him a flat head screwdriver, he walks out to his car, a minute or two later he walks back in and thanks us. I ask if he was able to fix 'whatever'. He says, "I just bought a gun, and there's a lock that locks the slide to the rear if you try to cycle the gun". He then pulls the gun from his pocket and starts 'showing' it to people who never asked to see it. My co-worker is a 16 yr old, who gets flagged. I had to tell the guy a couple of times 'Put. The. Gun. Away'. He then says, "I don't have a holster for it" and jams it into his pocket. I'm not sure of the make or model, but it looked like a cheap 32, or maybe 380 pocket pistol.

I'm not sure why or how I didn't level the guy. I do remember calculating the possibility of the gun being loaded while this is going on. I went through possibilities in my head, I never took him as a threat, just a dumbass and I do remember his finger clear of the trigger. Part of me is wondering if I SHOULD have dropped him, taken the gun, explained just how f'ing stupid what he did was. As it is, when people here ask 'Is someone really that f'ing stupid?'. My answer is yes, yes, they are among us. Honestly, I was pretty much shocked into immobility in the instant it happened. I'm going to reevaluate where I am on the Cooper Scale in the meantime and make some adjustments. JFC.

Then again, just another example of how my life goes. I really just want a nice quiet retirement, it's been pretty f'ing rocky so far, 2 years in.

Edit upon re-reading it:
One thing in the back of my mind, I may be going through another SF86 background in the very near future, having some kind of assault charge against me is something that also went through my mind.

never took him as a threat, just a dumbass
realistically, dumbasses are the worst kind of all threats, no matter if a gun or anything else...

and, nothing can really substitute a real military service where a sergeant kicks respect toward a firearm into your ass with a steelnosed boot. i guess at old times it was what parents did, as it was a part of a common culture, but, not anymore.

realistically, dumbasses are the worst kind of all threats, no matter if a gun or anything else...
That's kinda where I'm at sitting here the next morning. I can't imagine I would have gotten into any kind of trouble, but I already feel obligated to mention the October Event, since my address is part of a police report, along with my name and what not. I'm really trying to limit my interactions with law enforcement for at least the next few months.

Yesterday evening, a man walked in and asked to borrow a screw driver. Sure, loan him a flat head screwdriver, he walks out to his car, a minute or two later he walks back in and thanks us.
At least he said thank u.
Working in low pay jobs one have to learn on how to deal with idiots, lucky you that he did not run off with your screw driver lol

This is the kind of thing that makes you nervous at gun shows where they make you take your CCW out, take the mag out, point it into a sand bucket to rack the slide to remove the one in the chamber. One wrong move and away a round goes into a busy crowd. Stupid policy.

Yesterday evening, a man walked in and asked to borrow a screw driver......

I am wondering what that dude used screwdriver for? 🪛
At one point I worked with a bunch of other engineers in a production office. I'm a chemical engineer and had few tools at work. I asked one of the machine design engineers (who had a very nice toolbox at the office) if he had a cold chisel that I could borrow. He said he did not. I then asked if I could borrow a large flathead screwdriver. He said that he had the screwdriver, but considering the order in which I had asked the questions, he wasn't going to loan it to me.

Last edited:
I've been working at an auto parts store, maybe not for much longer, but that'll be another post hopefully in the future.

Yesterday evening, a man walked in and asked to borrow a screw driver. Sure, loan him a flat head screwdriver, he walks out to his car, a minute or two later he walks back in and thanks us. I ask if he was able to fix 'whatever'. He says, "I just bought a gun, and there's a lock that locks the slide to the rear if you try to cycle the gun". He then pulls the gun from his pocket and starts 'showing' it to people who never asked to see it. My co-worker is a 16 yr old, who gets flagged. I had to tell the guy a couple of times 'Put. The. Gun. Away'. He then says, "I don't have a holster for it" and jams it into his pocket. I'm not sure of the make or model, but it looked like a cheap 32, or maybe 380 pocket pistol.

I'm not sure why or how I didn't level the guy. I do remember calculating the possibility of the gun being loaded while this is going on. I went through possibilities in my head, I never took him as a threat, just a dumbass and I do remember his finger clear of the trigger. Part of me is wondering if I SHOULD have dropped him, taken the gun, explained just how f'ing stupid what he did was. As it is, when people here ask 'Is someone really that f'ing stupid?'. My answer is yes, yes, they are among us. Honestly, I was pretty much shocked into immobility in the instant it happened. I'm going to reevaluate where I am on the Cooper Scale in the meantime and make some adjustments. JFC.

Then again, just another example of how my life goes. I really just want a nice quiet retirement, it's been pretty f'ing rocky so far, 2 years in.

Edit upon re-reading it:
One thing in the back of my mind, I may be going through another SF86 background in the very near future, having some kind of assault charge against me is something that also went through my mind.
I will no longer be pissed at a couple friends who bought guns over 10 years ago and still haven't even fired them. They might be right where they need to be... in the case they came in.

Edit upon re-reading it:
What is the cooper scale

Edit upon re-reading it:
Is flagged the same as swept?
What is the cooper scale
I think he's referring to the awareness chart; white, yellow, orange, red, black.

Is flagged the same as swept?

I think he's referring to the awareness chart; white, yellow, orange, red, black.
Yeah, swept me initially, if I would have taken him down, I would have swept my coworker.

Today, he came by and apologized. Turns out he knows the store manager and wanted to make thing at right as he could.

Back
Top Bottom