New England gun tourism

Goliathan

NES Member
I'm looking to compile a list of places to visit anywhere in NE relating to firearms history. Obviously what's left of the big manufacturers, Springfield Armory, and Revolutionary War historic sites, but also smaller old shops, museums, other historic sites, etc.

I'd appreciate any names and places tossed tossed in!

Springfield Armory is a must do! Simply amazing collection of prototype, production and historical arms of all kinds from all ages. If you're nice they might pull some special pieces out of the back and let you shoulder them. Typical for a National Park, the people who work there are as enthusiastic as you are to discuss the topic. Put this place at the top of your list.

A little off topic but put this on your list.

CT Shotgun/Galazan in New Britain, CT is as much a museum as gun store of very high end British & European shotguns. Last time I was there they had a matched pair of high end Holland & Holland SxS that was listed at $250,000. I make the joke and it's true, that it's the only gun store I've been to where the guns on the bottom racks accessible to the public start at $3,000 and up. It's the same rack that a regular gun store puts it low end .22 LR rifles, cheap shotguns and military surplus on. Make sure to check their hours, they are only open to the public a couple of days a week.

This place is great, and right down the road from my office!

I think the Colt facility in Hartford is now apartments, although I think they retained the dome. The old Dan Wesson place in Monson has been torn down. Savage is still in Westfield but not much to look at I think.

I was just going to mention this place in Hudson. It has mucho history to include guns, armor, aircraft and uniforms. A must hit.

Highly recommend .

The American Heritage Museum is great and Springfield Armory is also great but no firearms are allowed. I didn't see the sign until I was leaving.

I need to go. Keep forgetting about it!

I’m currently working in Hudson.

Great thread!

You can visit the old site of where H&R used to be in Gardner, not sure what took it's place a few years ago after the factory got demolished, but just driving by there making delivery and pickups across the way from the old factory was kinda cool thinking about the amount of Garands they produced for WW2.

If you are into Military memorabilia, the museum at Shooters Outpost in Hooksett NH is a must. If owner Jim is around, he’d love to show you around.
Definitely this.

My GF was even astonished when I took her there.

Once you start pointing out the stuff and the history of it, even a non-gun person interests are peaked.

Great thread!

You can visit the old site of where H&R used to be in Gardner, not sure what took it's place a few years ago after the factory got demolished, but just driving by there making delivery and pickups across the way from the old factory was kinda cool thinking about the amount of Garands they produced for WW2.
Also the site where Iver Johnson used to be in Fitchburg. Believe it's a pizza place now...

My son is in the Army (Reserve). One of his shooting buddies graduated from Norwich, and was commissioned. My kid rendered the new Lt. his first salute, there. We could not attend, as it was during Covid. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom