• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where did you buy your first gun?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
With the "Where did you grow up" thread well over 120 posts, I thought I'd start something more relevant (read: near and dear to our hearts!): Where did you buy your first gun, and what was it?

I'll start:
I bought my first gun, a S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum) with a 4" barrel, from J&J guns in Bayonne, NJ.

I will play; S&W 28 Highway patrolman,4" 357 from Gun and Sport North in Lawrence. Great guys, Robert is boss, David...miss you SPG

Way back when.... I bought a Mossberg 500A shotty from The Outdoorsman in West Boylston. I ended up changing the stock and forearm to black synthetic shortly after. Many a pheasant nosedived into the brush from that little gem. Wish I still had it.

I'm not sure of the exact spot or if it's still there, but it was a gun shop in Framingham, on Rt. 30 I think, in 1981, when I turned 18. A Vietnam vet I worked with got me into shooting, with his AR 7 and "prodded" the Marlboro PD into giving me my FID.

Last edited:
SIG 226 in 9mm from The Gun Room.

Which I traded for Kahr K-9 at Zenk's.

Which I've since sold to a fellow NESer.

Originally I wanted a CZ-75. Didn't know you couldn't buy them new from an FFL here. [crying]

Four Seasons Sig 239, Ruger 10/22, Savage 114. Don't remember which I bought first as I bought them the same day.

Dad gave me my first gun (.22 revolver) the day my permit came in.

Bought a .40SW I think it was a Smith & Wesson 4039 or something like that from AAA Guns in Springfield, MA...awful DAO trigger that was a police trade in. I hated it and traded it on a 9mm P99 from Pete's in Adams, MA.

Last edited:
I bought a Walther P22 from Carl at Four Seasons. I still love shooting it and it is a great gun to return to for troubleshooting grip and grouping issues.
Best Regards.

I bought an M1 Carbine from a co-worker in 1981 along with twenty 15-round mags, ten 30-round mags, and 1000 rounds of ammo for $100. I still have the carbine and mags, and I'm still reloading some of the brass.

In 1955 I got my first gun at Sears. It was a J.C. Higgins single shot bolt action... one of thousands like it. It had a Cocking safety on back of the bolt. With a couple of boxes of shells and a cleaning kit, it ran just under $20. I was 6. The first gun I purchased myself was probably an Ithaca 37 Featherweight 20 Ga. with adjustable Marble choke.

A Mossberg 12ga Bolt action slug gun in Farmingdale NY in 1978. Wish I still had it. $65.00 out the door. Accurate bugger. jp

My grandfather took me to a Sears in Knoxville TN in 1962 and bought me a 12 ga Sears S X S shotgun and then took me out to the farm and taught me how to shoot crows. One of my little brothers stole it when I went away to college.

The first one I bought myself was in 1968 at Miller's Department Store in Knoxville. They were offering no interest deal on a new shotgun for opening a new account. I don't even remember what it was.

My father bought me an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun from the sporting goods store in Smithtown, NY in 1965 - I paid the $5 difference for the "Deluxe" model because that is the only one that was in stock (Dad and my brother each had the standard grade). That $5 got me gorgeously veined walnut under 6 hand-rubbed coats of lacquer, a leather sling and gold plating on the hammer and trigger.

Yes, I still have it.

First gun I bought all by myself? A Ruger 10/22 in 1971 from a now-gone gun shop in Norwood Center. Bought bricks of Winchester T-22's from him for something like $8/brick.

First "real" handgun; i.e., NOT CO2 or black powder? A Ruger Standard Model .22 from Lew Horton in 1979.

Sears in Peabody. Ted Williams Model 200 12ga pump. Turns out it is really a Winchester 1200. I still have it. First handgun H&R model 929 4" 9 shot .22 cal revolver. MVP sports in Danvers. Paid $99 new in box. Still have it.

A Marlin Model 60, 1965 at a K-Mart in Charlotte, NC. Had to present my drivers license to prove I was 16. Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom