What is your safe queen?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
That handgun, rifle or shotgun that you own but never shoot or have any intentions of ever selling.

For me it's an old S&W Model 15. It belonged to my uncle and it was his issued sidearm when he was a small town police officer back in the early 60s. My uncle has passed and he willed me his revolver. It's in absolute pristine shape and I want to keep it that way, so it never leaves the safe and I suspect it never will.

So what's the story behind your safe queen?

I definitely understand why someone might want to have a safe queen- OP's situation in particular. However, there's nothing I won't shoot.

Closest call would be an '03 National Match with SRS documentation and interesting provenance. Due to a rather nasty rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder, I've only been able to shoot it (badly) in one match so far. In 2017 I'll shoot one or two local CMP's, the regional New England Games, and perhaps Camp Perry if not this year definitely next. It gets cleaned, oiled, then pampered in a padded sock when in the safe.

I had a few, finally sold them off-2 S&W Model 520s, LNIB, mint S&W Model 28, a mint Colt 1917, several S&W Model 66 and 686 snubbies.
I do have a mid-80s manufactured Walther P-1, which appears unissued and stored by the German Army at the Walther factory as war stock until it was declared surplus in the 90s. I picked it up from SOG as Unissued, for about $270. Those days are long gone. Mags are still new in the wrap, cleaning kit's new, holster's like new. I've yet to do anything to it except clean it and put it away.

It's a silly concept that I never will adapt.
I don't park my cars or motorcycles to lepe their miles low so they have resale value. I drive/ride the life out of them and enjoy every single second doing it. Same applies with my guns. I buy a gun I shoot it within a week. And usually a ton of ammo.
Do you not have sex with your girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy? I didn't think so.

I shoot all of my guns except my shiny stainless Mossberg 500. Nothing super fancy or expensive but I just don't shoot it much.

I've got a bunch of stuff that pretty much sits in the safe and I never have time to shoot them. I've been selling off some of the more "expendable" stuff.

If I had to pick one that I'll likely never sell - it's probably going to be the Johnson rifle.

No offense to the OP but sweet Jesus sometimes these forums questions sound like questions out of a ladies magazine like Cosmopolitan or Ladies Home Journal. Its like they cant ask a real question so we get "what is your favorite color firearm" How to spice up that love with your cleaning rod? Do you like pizza I like pizza?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

No queens, but my AR is no doubt the nicest. It's a Frankenstein with a handful of top notch parts in most of the right places. Even if I left this state I'd be hard pressed to sell.

Closest I have are 2 guns I just haven't gotten around to shooting. Mossberg 702 plinkster and a Bushmaster XM15-E2S

As for guns I'll never sell. The only one I would say never about would be a S&W Mod 36 no-dash. It is the first gun I ever shot. The one my father trained me on and carried on the job for many years before FRPD switched over to autos. It quite literally saved his life on more than one occasion. I liberated it from MA when he passed last year. Hands down my single most valuable (to me) possession. God damn I miss him. Just about a year and a half now and I still barely go an hour without thinking about him. [sad2]

No offense to the OP but sweet Jesus sometimes these forums questions sound like questions out of a ladies magazine like Cosmopolitan or Ladies Home Journal. Its like they cant ask a real question so we get "what is your favorite color firearm" How to spice up that love with your cleaning rod? Do you like pizza I like pizza?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Then just don't read/ post in a thread you don't like. Your username is ironic, as unsubing is the best remedy for this problem. At least his thread is 100x better than the "i cant use google, please halp" stuff.

-Mike

No safe queens here by you'll have to pry my early war m1 carbine out of my cold dead hands if the mag is empty, if there's a round left in the chamber please bury it with me, I'm not done yet.

don't have a safe queen but i own a colt combat commander that a buddy in his 90's gave me just before he passed away a few years ago. it gets treated like a safe queen maybe at times but i shoot it a lot and value it as much as the folks who own real safe queens.

No safe queens here, but a few that haven't seen daylight in many blue moons.
I do have some that are unfired, but those are the ones I've bought and built recently that I haven't had the time to shoot yet.

Have yet to shoot her after all the work got done, keep meaning to hit the range but time just isn't there.

Also have a early 70's 6" RB Python that would rate about 95%, shot it twice in the last 6 years.

Blackhawk 4.jpg

Blackhawk.jpg

No safe queens either. There are a couple of guns I handle more gently than others to protect the wood like my Henry rifle but that's about it.

My 1915 all matching Luger would be the only one I can call a safe queen. For a 100 year old gun it's in amazing shape. I've shot it once, putting 16 rounds through it. It's one of those guns that if even one small numbered part breaks, it would take hundreds off its collector value. I will probably sell it some day to fund something I'll shoot often.

I also have my late father's Colt Police Positive .38 he carried as a LEO in the town I grew up in. It was made in '58 and he carried it in the 60's. I shoot the heck out of that gun but it's at the top of the 'guns I'd never sell' list.

I really don't own any "safe queens", but there are definitely guns that don't see much use and only get pulled out once a year for cleaning/ function tests. Every gun I own has been fired at least once, but it's hard to get them all into the range rotation.

I have some handguns that have not been to the range in a few years. Scoped rifles get out at least once a year to make sure they are still shooting straight. Hell, I have 3 lever guns in 30-30. None will be sold, but when my son is of age, I will transfer some of "his" guns to him, and there are guns in my collection that I hope will stay in my family forever.

No safe queens either, though I do have a few acquisitions that haven't seen any range time but that's only due to my hectic school and work schedule.

I have 2 that I really have not shot in 3 or 4 years do I guess that qualifies as a safe queen. I shot a box or 2, cleaned the, than put them away

A Volkmann 1911 combat commander and an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

My KSG was turning into a safe queen(a really cool looking conversation piece at that).. so I made sure to sell it and replace with something that I would use. I want all the tools in my box to have a purpose no time for things that will just take up space

Back
Top Bottom