What is your safe queen?

I have firearms that I rarely shoot, only because I have so many, but I have no reservations about shooting them. Only one true safe queen that I'll never shoot. My grandfather had a Colt 1911 US property marked issued pistol he bought from some Govt surplus deal. Its NIB mint in the original cardboard box with wax paper. Original application/approved forms, shipping labels and reciept for pistol, $17.35 with $1.85 shipping and handling. He never shot it. He wasnn't a pistol guy, but bought lots of surplus M1 carbines and other rifles and was meticulous about keeping records, receipts and whatnot. Anyways, he never shot it, my dad never shot it, and now that I have it, I'll never shoot it. Its just to neat. I have other Colts and various 1911's so no need really.

My 1983 Colt Python. Though I have shot it, it's not been very many times...The guy that I got it from after he passed away shot it 6 times...I may have shot it several dozen times since I've owned it.

I'll never sell it.

Last edited:
Only one I don't shoot is an old musket (though technically it is not even stored in the safe). Never sold a gun, reckon I never will.

i hope to have a couple in the next few years. I'm will be inheriting random pieces that have been in the family. They are all probably of little monetary value but will be priceless to me.

I'm in the camp of: "take care of all your firearms...but try to wear them out!" [smile]
Only safe queen I have is an original 1779 brown bess that hangs over the mantle.

I've got the very first gun that I ever saw. When I was a little boy in very rural North Carolina, my grandfather was the village postmaster.
I lived with him for a while, and spent a lot of time hanging out in his post office.
One day he was rooting around in his safe, and pulled out a gun to show me. I thought "Cool! Grandad's got a gun!"
Fast forward many years, Grandad has since passed, and I'm visiting with his widow (2nd wife). She says "Would you like to have your Grandaddy's gun?"
She gives me a brown paper bag. Inside was "The Gun" from my childhood, a Colt Huntsman .22, in very nice condition.
I brought it home, function fired it (ran great), cleaned and oiled it, wrapped it up and parked it in my safe.
I take it out now and then and remember Grandad, but don't shoot it.
It will eventually go to my Grandson.

My current safe queen is an immaculate late 1950's Anschutz 1413 Supermatch target rifle. My father bought it for me at age 13 up at Rileys...I can still remember that day. At one point in my life around age 15, I was putting a few thousand rounds through it a week competing. It now sits dormant. I have a son due in late January, my first. In 13 years I plan to dust the Anschutz off and give it to my son. It will be nearly 75 years old at that point and it will still be out shooting ever other gun I've ever owned in terms of accuracy.

I have firearms that I rarely shoot, only because I have so many, but I have no reservations about shooting them. Only one true safe queen that I'll never shoot. My grandfather had a Colt 1911 US property marked issued pistol he bought from some Govt surplus deal. Its NIB mint in the original cardboard box with wax paper. Original application/approved forms, shipping labels and reciept for pistol, $17.35 with $1.85 shipping and handling. He never shot it. He wasnn't a pistol guy, but bought lots of surplus M1 carbines and other rifles and was meticulous about keeping records, receipts and whatnot. Anyways, he never shot it, my dad never shot it, and now that I have it, I'll never shoot it. Its just to neat. I have other Colts and various 1911's so no need really.

Nice. I'd love to see a pic of that one.

I've a bunch that haven't been to the range, only a function check with dummies, action smoothing, bore sighting and annual cleanings with the rest of them. I wouldn't regulate them as safe queens as the monetary value or rarity isn't really there but still some are more desirable as opposed to current production models. I have a number of the same firearms or close to, with overlapping calibers. A case in point is a JM stamped Marlin 336C and an 1895 45/70. Neither has seen the range though they've been kicking around here for at least a decade. Both have Williams peeps on them as do the rest of the Marlins and are bore sighted and checked. The levers have been thrown a couple thousand times to smooth them out, cleaned every couple hundred throws. I do have some collectibles like a minty pre-64 Winchester in 30-30, S&W model 29-2 a Colt Scout Centennial and so on which truly are safe queens but my main collection was built for a do anything, go anywhere one.

The usual response to the above is why don't you sell them or I wouldn't own something I don't use or some such, to each their own. Simply put, it's a collection which took decades to build that I do not want to break up. In my case, it's like asking a car, coin or stamp collector to dismantle theirs.

The usual response to the above is why don't you sell them or I wouldn't own something I don't use or some such, to each their own. Simply put, it's a collection which took decades to build that I do not want to break up. In my case, it's like asking a car, coin or stamp collector to dismantle theirs.

I have friends who will ask "why dont't you shoot this or that more often" or "Id never own a gun I didnt shoot the snot out of" but these same guys are the fudds who own an 870, a savage 110 and a hi-point. Much like you stated, ask a coin collector why he doesn't spend that money? Why have money and not spend it? I'm not a collector in the sense of the term, I just aquire many things, the same way I don't "collect" tools or pocket knives ect..

The only one I have that qualifies is my first gun. A S&W M&P 9c. I had a trigger job done on it about a year after I had bought it, so it shoots very well. I just don't get it to the range very often. But having four mags for it, means its my SHTF gun, if things really go south someday.

Pre ban Colt HBAR unfired, mint. My dad bought a bunch of stuff right around the ban and gave this to me when I got back from Iraq

I don't have any, but my first planned safe queen is going to be a nice 1911 bbq gun and probably a sweet custom leather holster for it.

Other than my future plans. I have none

1954 Colt Marshal w/ 2" barrel. I guess it is pretty rare in this configuration.

It was my grandfathers gun he bought while in the Air Force back in the day. The best part is he carved his girlfriend-at-the-time's name into one of the grip panels who ended up not being my grandmother. [smile]

All matching 1939 Luger in unbelievable condition. It along with an Winchester
Garand, also in pristine condition were given to me by my Grandfather less than a year before he unexpectedly passed away. The M1 gets shot though.

Back
Top Bottom