• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your safe queen?

It used to be my .500 S&W but I sold it a few years ago. I miss my precious. I do a gollum now and then and lurk in caves trying to find it.

My Mosin - I put 5 rounds through it and never took it out again.

I bought one at Marlboro one year, took it to the range the following weekend, spent the next day wondering how the hell puny little Russians used these things on the Eastern front, while rubbing my shoulder, sold it a week later.

The closest thing I have to a safe queen is my grandfather's H&R Model 365 "Reg'Lar" from the late '40s. My mother's father gave it to my dad at some point before I came along (my mom already had a .22, so she didn't need it), and when my dad passed it became mine. It's been out a couple of times in the last decade or so, but for the most part it's "one round of .22" capacity means it yields its range time to to the more "entertaining" rifles.

It used to be my .500 S&W but I sold it a few years ago. I miss my precious. I do a gollum now and then and lurk in caves trying to find it.

Sold my first S&W 500 and did nothing but mope around missing it - bought another about a year later so I could finally sleep better :). Don't shoot it as often as I should but love it every time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When you start out to collect every year manufactured of non refurb Russian SKS carbines and one from every Chinese arsenal, you accumulate and end up with a few that never make it to the range. Plus collecting milsurps for over a decade, you end up with some really nice stuff. Stuff that's too nice to let go because you know you'll never find another one for what you paid for it, and they only increase in value every year.
That's how I ended up with safe queens.

I have 2 garands that I’ve never fired that I won’t sell. They came from the CMP and went straight in the safe. They probably need a good cleaning before even attempting to fire.

My Saiga 5.45 had turned into one. I haven't shot it in quite some time. Reason being all the ammo I have for it is surplus steel core which is not the best to shoot at plates. And finding new ammo (that's not steel core) is reasonably annoying.

Oh well. That caliber was still easy to get when I got it. Not so much anymore. All these wars aren't helping availability either.

I really don't own any "safe queens", but there are definitely guns that don't see much use and only get pulled out once a year for cleaning/ function tests. Every gun I own has been fired at least once, but it's hard to get them all into the range rotation.

I have some handguns that have not been to the range in a few years. Scoped rifles get out at least once a year to make sure they are still shooting straight. Hell, I have 3 lever guns in 30-30. None will be sold, but when my son is of age, I will transfer some of "his" guns to him, and there are guns in my collection that I hope will stay in my family forever.

Pretty much the same for me, have some that I rarely if ever shoot anymore or plan to, and they just sit in the safe. None of them are particularly collectible or worth much. I do have a couple guns I haven't fired yet, one I never will (inherited, don't have any desire/use for it nor am I planning on dumping it any time soon).

well all my guns have been safe queens since about the time this thread was started

Changing that this year and finally joined a club again

My safe queen is my grandads 190x Ithaca flues 16g sxs
I’ve shot it but I don’t want to ruin it so there she sits in the back

3 things indeed are. sad as i like them, but, never use them at all.
#1 is the beretta shotgun, 1301 comp, with added recoil thing in the stock. a very nice shotgun, but, alas.
#2 is a tavor x95. it is there, it is functional, sits well oiled and clean with a pre-ban 30rd mag full of m855 and this is it. do not even remember when i shot it last time. total pity.
#3 now is the .22lr BCA AR - sold one upper, this second one i will keep, but, well, it never gets out now. all other 6 i rotate from time to time, but this one, well, nope.

and i am lying - the #4 is the MPA precision rifle in 6 Dasher. also did not shoot it in, i think, almost 2 years now. got plenty of ammo made for it, it is danm precise at 1/3-1/4 moa, and, it sits in the safe now with around 1k shots made on that barrel. when i have desire for long range i usually grab 6.5cm bergara instead, dunno why.

ber.jpg

Nothing else I have fits my hand better than this classic Italian beauty [besides my black 92G]. She's obsolete by modern operator standards, no lasers no red dots no lights but I'll never get rid of this one.

and i am lying - the #4 is the MPA precision rifle in 6 Dasher. also did not shoot it in, i think, almost 2 years now. got plenty of ammo made for it, it is danm precise at 1/3-1/4 moa, and, it sits in the safe now with around 1k shots made on that barrel. when i have desire for long range i usually grab 6.5cm bergara instead, dunno why.

Why? Is it because of the cost/availability of ammo?

Why? Is it because of the cost/availability of ammo?
dunno. i do not compete, and it is a competition rig.
barrel life is under 5K (some would say 3k), so every shot matters, berger hybrids cost .50c apiece, etc.
i still do not care that much about ammo costs there, but, just overall shoot bergara more often. i think it may be too good to be interesting now, as when it does not group good at 300 i know that is was me slacking on ammo prep or botching the shot, or both. :)

when expectations are high - any less than perfect result is a disappointment. when expectations are moderate - any positive result is a delight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom