• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TAVOR

Because in free America configuration it's not legal to transfer it to a MA or CT resident, even in NH or VT. It would need to be modified before you could take possession of it.

In some of the free states there are gun shops that will sell to MA residents and do the required modifications before selling you the rifle.

Stateline in Mason NH is one of them - I've bought a number of rifles from them and they did the mods before I picked up the rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

ooo, I see they are making 5.45 conversion kits for it too!

Linky?

Steyr - I was not saying people shouldn't get one. Its on my short list. But I was just trying make sure that people didn't think they could just walk into a NH gun shop and expect to buy one and bring it home. They shouldn't.

I'm all for it. I just picked up a SCAR this weekend, which I'll be converting so its MA compliant, prior to bringing it into MA.
The SCAR, while not as easy as the Tavor to make compliant, is pretty inexpensive to do since it already comes with a $100 FNH marked Primary Weapons FCS 556 brake.
So all thats left to do is pin the stock and permanently affix the brake that comes with the rifle. No bayonet lug to deal with also.

Very interested in what you think of it. Spending my time deciding between the Colt LE901, XCR, or the SCAR.

Very interested in what you think of it. Spending my time deciding between the Colt LE901, XCR, or the SCAR.

Ditch the XCR in your choice list, IMHO they seem to be have many teething problems and are heavier (than the AR) and less accurate. The SCAR is an absolute beast if you don't care for the bullpup design.

I'm very tempted by the 901 also. Maybe someday. I haven't shot the SCAR yet. I may go down to CT to shoot it this weekend. Once I've got it sorted out, you are welcome to meet me at Mass Rifle in Woburn to try it.

I just got my MA MG license, so I'll be bringing my MG into the state in the next week or two. Can't wait to rip with that at the indoor range at Mass Rifle.

All this talk about bullpups makes me think of selling my XLR 700 for a DTA SRS

DTA1.png

In some of the free states there are gun shops that will sell to MA residents and do the required modifications before selling you the rifle.

Stateline in Mason NH is one of them - I've bought a number of rifles from them and they did the mods before I picked up the rifle.

Good to know that they do that. I wasn't saying that there aren't shops that will accommodate in that regard, was just trying to counter the incorrect information being provided earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Linky?

In the OP [laugh]

tavor7.jpg

Avoid the XCR like the plague. Held together with Locktite and screws and a heavy bitch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Steyer is nice but the Tavor is a much better design. It has a much better piston system borrowed from the AK. I have an MSAR / steyer clone and the weakest design feature is the tiny piston/gas system since it will crud up on you eventually.

I'd rather have a Steyr.

Steyer is nice but the Tavor is a much better design. It has a much better piston system borrowed from the AK. I have an MSAR / steyer clone and the weakest design feature is the tiny piston/gas system since it will crud up on you eventually.

Can't say that I've ever seen one crud up - in fact my dad's been shooting his since the late 80s/early 90s and I don't think he's ever cleaned out the gas system - no problems.

+1

Can't say that I've ever seen one crud up - in fact my dad's been shooting his since the late 80s/early 90s and I don't think he's ever cleaned out the gas system - no problems.

Beaker is comparing an inferior clone made by MSAR to the genuine Steyr AUG.
I have no idea about the MSAR, never owned one... never will. But the Steyr AUG is in fact a very reliable and clean piston system.
I have a few AUG's and will also say that mine have never "crud up" on me.
The piston is chrome plated and stays clean while shooting. Occasionally wiping off the piston face with a rag is needed, but like I said, the piston will never "crud up".

I knew a guy who had a full auto Steyr. It ran like a top. The MSAR was a sad copy.

A Steyr would certainly represent a good, low risk purchase. But the last time I checked, they weren't the $1700 ish that Tavor is expected to cost.

Don

MSAR was hit or miss when I got mine. Mine was in fact a miss, but thankfully I was able to get the stock repaired when the company still had that thing called customer service. I also replaced the MSAR bolt with a Ratworx hybrid and the gun has been rock solid since. Based on some of the experiences I have heard of, I think I made out pretty well, though it was not what it should have been out of the box.

I can't wait to see how these pup's do, and have high hopes for their QC from IWI.

Back
Top Bottom