• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TAVOR

Scar 16: Meh. Not as durable as AR's from what I've seen. (personally. round for round.) More reliable, but not more durable. And you can get some really nifty malfunctions.

Scar 17: Meh. Beats itself to death.

AR: Run wet and dirty and it'll work for a real long time.

TAVOR: never shot one, but handled one a bit today. I'm interested.

Scar 16: Meh. Not as durable as AR's from what I've seen. (personally. round for round.) More reliable, but not more durable. And you can get some really nifty malfunctions.

Scar 17: Meh. Beats itself to death.

AR: Run wet and dirty and it'll work for a real long time.

TAVOR: never shot one, but handled one a bit today. I'm interested.

Not a fan of the Scar 16/17. Love ARs. I need a Tavor. There is so much to offer it isn't even funny.

When they're what, $1900-$2000 that's not too bad. I thought they were like $4000 on there [laugh]

Good point. [laugh]

It was heavy... it wasn't nice by any means but it wasn't horrible. it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It felt like something familiar, but I can't place what right now. Reset wasn't horrible either.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember now... kinda felt like a nicer version of a trigger on an SKS I had once upon a time.

I will say, after fondling one today I went from interested to really interested. I should be plinking with one in the near future so I'll let you guys know.

But the trick is finding a shop that will sell you one... Or have their own gunsmith fix it up without raping you...

Dark Horse Gunsmithing in South Hadley (Springfield) charged $75 total for the muzzle work and transfer.

They were more than happy to take the work and the permanent affixing of the compensator was completed the same day it arrived at their shop. [grin]

Coming from Boston, they are a bit of a drive, but the quick service and easy transfer made the drive worth it.

So bummed I couldn't get my hands on one. A few months ago a local shop tried to order from Copes (distributor) and they said they couldn't ship to CT. Was lusting after this thing for some time. [sad2]

I saw a left handed model sell for about 1800 yesterday on gunbroker....... If i hadn't gone so buckwild on my checkbook lately I would have paid that in a heartbeat.

thats what i thought, i thought all you really had to do was get a right handed bolt.

As far as I know you just swap everything around? It's supposed to be completely swappable the rail piece on the side swaps to the other side and you flip the bolt around mag and bolt catch swap around as well like the scar correct me if I'm wrong though I don't think there's anything else that needs to be purchased

As far as I know you just swap everything around? It's supposed to be completely swappable the rail piece on the side swaps to the other side and you flip the bolt around mag and bolt catch swap around as well like the scar correct me if I'm wrong though I don't think there's anything else that needs to be purchased

[laugh] if i had the spare $1600 right now I'd buy it and let you know.

I'm pretty sure there are left hand and right hand bolts but but hat is the only part you need to change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Had the opportunity to shoot a Tavor today. The owner is also a member on this site I believe (as are most non-fudds in some capacity it seems). He also had an RFB which was pretty bad-ass.

His rifle was set-up with an Aimpoint micro which I actually really liked, though I'm usually an Eotech guy. Standing shots on steel at 100 yards were easy. I didn't bother to shoot a group, but it was on steel at 200 and 300 yards. I put about 100 flawless rounds through it, and it's definitely inching its way up my list. My thoughts on the trigger were that it wasn't nearly as clean as an AR trigger, mainly with a bit of sponginess, but once you found its sweet spot it wasn't bad by any means. I'd say it's different, not necessarily worse, than standard military triggers. It's no Geissele though.

As far as recoil goes it seems to recoil a bit more "up" than an AR, which makes sense given the operating system vs Direct Impingement. Another thing I noticed is my non firing hand was getting hit with gas or debris or something. It MAY have been the brake on the gun, I didn't investigate as much as I potentially could have. It wasn't really an issue though, if anything it just made shooting it even more manly :D

My thoughts on the controls was that they were pretty easy to pick up in terms of dropping the mag and releasing the bolt. Dis-assembly was also demonstrated for me and it seems wicked easy, and the components come out in larger groups. The built in Iron sights were also cool.

I could definitely see getting one of these guns. I don't love or hate bull-pups, but I've never seen one I HAD TO HAVE until the Tavor. When they hit a more reasonable price point I'll definitely be looking to get one. It would be great with a suppressor :(

Mike

Back
Top Bottom