• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk me out of liking my tavor

I will muddy the waters. I prefer the Tavor X95 and have one in my safe. Lots of improvements over the SAR. The weight isn't really an issue because it's all in the "stock" so I find it very easy to shoot offhand unsupported. The X95 has a couple of upgrades that are well worth it, Geissele lightning bow trigger and trigger pack is significantly better than the stock trigger. I don't think it is available for the SAR. Built in rail support for accessories is a given coming from the AR world. Also, I prefer a pistol grip vs. a cutlas grip, which I can easily swap out with the X95. Not available on the SAR.

The biggest pro for the Tavor is SBR length of pull without the SBR paperwork. Also, 16"+ barrel in a short package. It takes STANAG mags, so if you have AR's, nothing to change, which is nice for those of us in non-free states. Personally I'd keep the SAR if you don't care about what I posted above, or sell/trade the SAR for an X95 because it is better than the SAR in ways that I care about.

As posted above the x95 improvements are really nice but the og tavor has the cool factor. Also, from what I've read online people seem to find the tavor more accurate than the x95 on average. I have a x95 and I love it, I might add a tavor to the safe someday. Only complaint is that parts support from IWI never recovered from the pandemic shortages. Trigger is also not a big deal to me, it's not a match rifle. I did however do the lighting bow with no trigger pack and I'm happy with it.

The first time you get your sleeve caught in the magwell you will answer your question.

I like mine until I trained with it. I documented all the challenges in the Tavor/X95 thread.

Last edited:
The first time you get your sleeve caught in the magwell you will answer your question.

I like mine until I trained with it. I documented all the challenges in the Tavor/X95 thread.

I'll have to go back and reread that thread, I don't remember your issues. Actually reminds me, one of my classes I had to mortar mine to get a stuck round out of the chamber. Because the things so goddamn short you gotta really pay attention so you don't shoot your hat off.

I'll have to go back and reread that thread, I don't remember your issues. Actually reminds me, one of my classes I had to mortar mine to get a stuck round out of the chamber. Because the things so goddamn short you gotta really pay attention so you don't shoot your hat off.
Shirt sleeve caught in magwell multiple times; instinctively going to insert a mag in the AR position; and the insecurity of picking the rifle up off the ground (without looking) because of the concern of depressing the trigger with your middle finger (with a cutlass grip).

TLDR, Go shirtless?

SAR is old.

Sell it and put that money toward an AR.

Or, if you like the SAR, sell it and get a X95.

I plan to.

Its really nice to have in the house if things get squiggly

But outside of opening a door easier one handed i just don't see what it does better than my mk18s

Manipulating a rifle in a vehicle or some other tight space. Also, easier to clear a room with a shorter barrel, all things being equal.

Back
Top Bottom