• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk me out of FN 509 Tactical.

I've been shooting G23 for two decades now and haven't felt the desire to upgrade. The gun fits me just right and hasn't broken once. It's a Glock, you know.
About a week ago, I had a chance to shoot an FN 509 at Mass Firearms, and I liked how it felt. Over the years, I tried many different guns. Most guns I tried just didn't have the right feel or ergonomics. The FN 509 felt very comfortable to shoot! So, I made a mistake and walked over to the Mass Firearms store and asked to see their FN 509s. The one that immediately stood out to me was the FN 509 Tactical. EVERYTHING about this gun looks and feels right. The price wasn't in the nosebleed territory either.
Ever since that visit, I've been walking around, thinking it might be time to get another gun. Not just any gun, that specific model!

So I am looking for reasons why I shouldn't get the FN 509 Tactical. My bank account will thank you!

You should not buy one as the choice between the FDE vs black is impossible. Buy them both and really look at the 509cc Edge as well. Now is not the time to be frugal.…it’s your life we are talking about. If one is good, two is beer and 3 is optimum. You are worth it.

not sure that bank account is thanking me.

I've been shooting G23 for two decades now and haven't felt the desire to upgrade. The gun fits me just right and hasn't broken once. It's a Glock, you know.
About a week ago, I had a chance to shoot an FN 509 at Mass Firearms, and I liked how it felt. Over the years, I tried many different guns. Most guns I tried just didn't have the right feel or ergonomics. The FN 509 felt very comfortable to shoot! So, I made a mistake and walked over to the Mass Firearms store and asked to see their FN 509s. The one that immediately stood out to me was the FN 509 Tactical. EVERYTHING about this gun looks and feels right. The price wasn't in the nosebleed territory either.
Ever since that visit, I've been walking around, thinking it might be time to get another gun. Not just any gun, that specific model!

So I am looking for reasons why I shouldn't get the FN 509 Tactical. My bank account will thank you!
I've bought guns for far dumber reasond than this so if its siren song is calling to you...get it.

But fn pistols are not something i personality would buy

That spot in the safe has to filled with something
1699797014921.jpeg
It needs a home
1699797076775.jpeg
Disclaimer.....Picture's are for informational purposes only....

Jeesus H Christmas, just buy a Glock and be done with it.
You know you want the latest gen version anyways.
Glock 45 is the correct answer. You can thank me later!

A poster above suggested to buy an HK instead, but I'm not sure if he was serious.

But I will say in seriousness that you should try an HK VP9. I don't think it is necessarily better than a Glock or FN, and both of those are perfectly fine choices if you like them. But the ergonomics and quality of the VP9 are very good, and a lot of people like it best when they try one. The VP9 has the most configurable grip, and the overall shape is pretty good. And they do have very good quality control without too much extra premium for the HK name.

So any of these that you like will be fine. But I assume that you do know that if you have a medium sized Glock, and you like it OK, then you don't actually need another gun.

A poster above suggested to buy an HK instead, but I'm not sure if he was serious.

But I will say in seriousness that you should try an HK VP9. I don't think it is necessarily better than a Glock or FN, and both of those are perfectly fine choices if you like them. But the ergonomics and quality of the VP9 are very good, and a lot of people like it best when they try one. The VP9 has the most configurable grip, and the overall shape is pretty good. And they do have very good quality control without too much extra premium for the HK name.

So any of these that you like will be fine. But I assume that you do know that if you have a medium sized Glock, and you like it OK, then you don't actually need another gun.
I was serious, and the VP9 would be my recommendation for 9mm. That was my EDC for about 4 years, put close to 10K rounds through it without an issue. My EDC now is an HK45.

I'm biased. I did want to get one also.
But I've found that the 2 striker fired guns I own are enough. I kinda want an M&P for only 1 reason and that's to try and oddball optic.

My 2 strikers are a Beretta APX centurion gen 1 and a arex delta gen 2.

Both awesome striker fired guns and you can get both for far cheaper than the fn.

Hell you can get both and have money leftover for the cost of the fn

You’ve been shooting for two decades and only have a Glock 23?

Just get a 9mm barrel for it, bam. 9mm even feeds through 40 mags, though I wouldn’t trust it that way for self defense. It works for play time just fine. New caliber for like 100-120

I've got a standard 509 with the curved standard trigger and a 509 Tactical with the factory flat-faced trigger. The flat trigger is far better.

Never tried the Apex so I can't compare to that but I would say it is similar to a Glock but without the obvious reset that the Glock triggers give you.

So, if you have to get one, try to get the factory flat trigger.

FN 509 MRD was my first pistol. I wish someone had talked me into something else, but it was the best of the 3 I tried that day. I wish I remembered what the other 2 were. I almost never shoot it because it's just kind of meh and I have far more interesting (to me) pistols that are more fun to shoot. However, if you've tried it and it fits and you like it, you should just get it, because why not. My 2 favorite handguns right now I bought just because "I wanna, dammit", and no regerts yet.

If I'm not mistaken the Glock 23 is a .40 and the FN 509 is a 9mm. Do you want to change caliber or do you just like the gun?

When I bought my VP9, the 509 was another firearm I was considering as I was looking for something ambidextrous, but I didn't have the chance to handle one yet when I saw a good deal on the VP9 so grabbed it while it was available.

I'm glad I did, because a year or so later I had the opportunity to shoot a 509 and really didn't like it that much, at least not compared to the VP9.

As others have mentioned, if you have had the chance to shoot it and like it, then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom