• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking Answers to Help a Friend

What the heck are you talking about?

Anyways, we're all entitled to our opinion on this situation but to me, my concern are the improperly stored weapons. Regardless of the marital situation, when kids are nearby there is no excuse for this. She should at least obtain trigger guards or cable the breech....maybe the OP can help with that.

I think storage laws are not only stupid but unconstitutional. So the storage issue is a non starter for me. Obviously, in MA, it's illegal. Don't let cops search your home. So, to my mind, the real and only issue is the wife being full on moonbat about the guns and further, willing to endanger her kids by snitching.

Hopefully they can work this out without the law getting involved.

It will not be pretty by getting the cops involved. Once that can is opened it's impossible to close.

People need to read what is written.

1. The guns were legally bought before the family moved into MA.

2. EMTDAD is not talking to another man's wife directly - his WIFE started this conversation. Damn folks.

i just read all of emtdad's posts. I can't find where he says anything about his wife talking to this woman. If I missed it, I apologize. But the first post clearly says that she talked to him.

As as to legally puchased, I don't know. I don't know Delaware gun laws or how and when they've evolved to what they are now. But I have to imagine that they're as bad as their neighboring states. Which is why I think some people are wondering if they were acquired legally.

i just read all of emtdad's posts. I can't find where he says anything about his wife talking to this woman. If I missed it, I apologize. But the first post clearly says that she talked to him.

As as to legally puchased, I don't know. I don't know Delaware gun laws or how and when they've evolved to what they are now. But I have to imagine that they're as bad as their neighboring states. Which is why I think some people are wondering if they were acquired legally.

EMTMOM made the first post. As far as Delaware goes, it borders PA which has decent laws. Plus, you can easily look up Delaware to see that the laws there are better than the laws here.

What the heck are you talking about?

Anyways, we're all entitled to our opinion on this situation but to me, my concern are the improperly stored weapons. Regardless of the marital situation, when kids are nearby there is no excuse for this. She should at least obtain trigger guards or cable the breech....maybe the OP can help with that.

What the heck are you talking about? You think guns without trigger locks used to jump up and shoot kids out of the blue? Lord knows how we survived the last few hundred years.

The question is, if you found your spouse had firearms in your house, and both of you were unlicensed, what would you do?

I would get a license.
But first I would ask my friends to not post about it on the internet. Especially if their avatar listed the town they live in and the occupations of both husband and wife, as well as what state I had moved from.
While I agree that it is noble to try to help for the sake of the kids, it will make it worse for everybody if dad is in jail.

This. Until recently guns were not locked up or if they were they were in a wooden cabinet with glass doors and a small lock that looked nice but would not stop anyone.
The big difference back then is that parents took the time to parent, discipline and teach their children right from wrong. That is much less likely to happen now because the parents are too busy and the tv, computer, phones etc. have pretty much become the parents.

What the heck are you talking about? You think guns without trigger locks used to jump up and shoot kids out of the blue? Lord knows how we survived the last few hundred years.

This. Until recently guns were not locked up or if they were they were in a wooden cabinet with glass doors and a small lock that looked nice but would not stop anyone.
The big difference back then is that parents took the time to parent, discipline and teach their children right from wrong. That is much less likely to happen now because the parents are too busy and the tv, computer, phones etc. have pretty much become the parents.

Then she should be more terrified of being a shitty parent than the gun under the bed.

We have grown ups who need to act like grown ups. They need to put aside their marital differences and have a grown up conversation about a grown up topic (guns). There are kids involved with unsecure guns in a house = bad. They as a couple need to have a discussion with only 1 goal in mind, a resolution. Do not mix in other marital issues with the topic on hand. The wife is going to have to approach the subject with the predetermined thought that under no circumstances is the husband willing to give up the guns. The husband needs to approach this that under no circumstances will the wife accept having any guns in the house. Then they can meet somewhere in the middle. Priority one is secure firearms, priority two is determine whether to keep or not, priority 3 is dependent on priority 2.

To the op: guide your friend to do this in baby steps if need be. Tell her no matter what, do whatever she has to convince husband to get guns secure. That should be easy. "I am only asking that IF guns are in the house I would like them secure because we have kids and it is the law" . After that they have some time to hash out the resolution.

Never crossed her mind to just put them in a trunk or suitcase that locks? Her first instinct is " should I call the police?"

This guy is screwed on soooo many levels.

Take kids out of the picture I'm still not going to secure my weapons in a blanket.

It would appear that she is herself afraid of guns because as you stated before they don't jump up and shoot kids out of the blue.
She has a right to be concerned but from what I've read she appears to be more in a panic mode.
As the liberals like to say with just about everything like drugs & sex, education is the key. With guns though they think ignorance is the key which of course leads to accidents etc.

Then she should be more terrified of being a shitty parent than the gun under the bed.

First post is from EMTMOM so it's easy to overlook given the similar usernames.

While all true, there are two useful data points here. This is in Massachusetts where the guy is going to get a guaranteed year or more in jail if caught. Second, this sounds like a marriage in bad shape where the wife is about to let the police know about these guns. So, lock them the F up. Then work out the rest of the mess (I don't have high hopes though).

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

Just locking up the guns doesn't solve the lack of Ltc problem, it only address the improper storage, which is a misdemeanor. Like I said before, call a reputable FFl/dealer, tell them you inherited x and need them picked up and stored, problem solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1376344372_mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

Yes, I realize this. My reply was not to the OP but to those that think inanimate objects are dangerous in and of themselves.

While all true, there are two useful data points here. This is in Massachusetts where the guy is going to get a guaranteed year or more in jail if caught. Second, this sounds like a marriage in bad shape where the wife is about to let the police know about these guns. So, lock them the F up. Then work out the rest of the mess (I don't have high hopes though).

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

My prediction? EMTMOM goes out of her way to help, gives advice, and advice will be followed. Then, the couple will reconcile, and both will turn on her for the advice given.
My $.02? Nobody likes a rat. Period.

I read this, probably too quickly, but have a question or two.

Has anyone talked to the husband yet? Does anyone know him? What is his frame of mind? What is he thinking about the guns and his marriage? It seems to me that we are only getting one side of the story, which may or may not be the entire story.

You (the editorial you, not the specific) have two choices here. Either do nothing and hope that everything ends okay or develop some sort of plan on how to proceed. The problem with the latter is that once you start you had better contemplate ALL possible outcomes and be prepared because something will happen.

The wife needs to talk to the husband. She needs to tell the husband to get locks and a cheap locking cabinet of sorts as well as a LTC.

Back
Top Bottom