• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking Answers to Help a Friend

How about an anonymous call to police asking for a no questions asked turn in of guns. I would like to think that cops would be willing to accomodate to get guns "off the street". As much as I dislike cops, they can be reasonable at times. I would like to think that they would not charge someone who is trying to do the right thing.

How about an anonymous call to police asking for a no questions asked turn in of guns. I would like to think that cops would be willing to accomodate to get guns "off the street". As much as I dislike cops, they can be reasonable at times. I would like to think that they would not charge someone who is trying to do the right thing.

Malarkey!

You call the cops...You get what you deserve.

Legally he owns them not his Wife. Even if she gets a LTC, the guns still belong to him, but if she secures them no criminal charges can follow. She can't (legally) just claim them as hers due to the Husband refusing to get licensed.

NO registration is required as they were brought in when he moved, regardless of his poor storage techniques.

I know people are focusing on the storage issue, but that's really way less of an issue here. Even if they're secured, neither one of them has an LTC. One of them getting one should be the first priority because even if the guns are locked up, they're totally boned if the cops find out they own them.

Since per the storyline, she is the less pig-headed, more reasonable one, then have her take the class and apply for the license. If she's in a green town and passes the LTC criteria, then it's a vey easy albeit long process. Then work on the storage issue in order to be in full compliance with the law. This could be something as picking up a cheap locking cabinet and shoving them in there in... they could even potentially shove the cabinet back under the bed.

Since there's no registration requirement when you move in with guns, if the cops ever leaned they had guns after she got the license, it's up to these folks to remember that they're her guns to not get f'ed by the law.

The big question is if there is any ammunition and mags under the bed or in his possesion? If not tell her right off the bat to calm down as the guns are useless without ammo or mags and will not shoot so again she need not be concerned about THAT. Best thing she should do is simply tell her husband that she doesnt want them in the house and he needs to either find someone willing to secure them or she will leave the house until they are gone. She should put it on him that way and stand her ground.

And for everyone suggesting how cheap locks are the OP and his buddy COULD spend $20 and take possesion of the firearms and keep them stored at their homes, a trigger lock is good enough and safe enough regardless if you dont have "Space" to store them, lock them up and put them in a closet they cant take up that much space.

So Lawyer here. If she tells the police, she could be charged, so could husband. With a felony depending on the type of firearm. If you take them, larceny of a firearm or receiving stolen firearm, also felony. I think her best bet is to call a shop, see if they will take possession. They're not technically her property, so that can present an issue. If she's really in a bind, she can call me, I'll chat through some stuff with her. PM for my contact info.

Last edited:

They can and will charge her and him, with possession at a min. Storage if they are hi cap can elevate to a felony.

Because he is clearly so willing to resolve this situation with his wife and in the best interest of his family, I will just invite him to come here and seek the advice himself. His willingness to obey the law and protect himself is obviously a top priority. So why not seek the advice from all you.

Of course this is one sided, C.O. but If he was compliant, there would be no need to be seeking help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

i actually would not classify them as willing to resolve the situation and to obey the law as they are actually in violation of the law right now, and as a good samaritan you're not really doing them any favors by posting publicly about their pickle on the internet. not being more of a dick than usual, but this is a fact.

depending on what these guns are there could be issues with the MA AWB as well as in DE there is no AWB or magazine restriction, so that's just more fuel for the fire. what needs to happen is that you should request that the mods delete this thread and if everything is legal to possess in MA:

option A:

1. someone needs to get licensed, or you need to find a really good friend who is already licensed who wants to be a part of this shit show.
2. take the guns to a FFL and have the FFL transfer the guns to the licensed individual.

that's how it's done legally and if everything can be owned in MA.

option B:

if someone gets licensed they can simply take possession of the firearms and the story can be they moved here with them. while yes, there's de facto gun registration in MA via the FA-10 system, you don't have to FA-10 your own guns if you move here so there's all sorts of evil [STRIKE=mexican]mexican[/STRIKE] undocumented guns roaming the streets of MA. this is not legal in the eyes of the state but they are dicks anyway.

option C:

get a torch and destroy the guns.

option D:

gun guyback. but that's dumb. don't support these things, only will provide fodder for a sweet table shot of all the hyper-illegal mega-kill-guns on the "streets".

option E:

do nothing.

Clearly your sarcasm radar is set at zero.

As for being a "good samaritan" in your opinion, I suppose the good samaritan in me should have ignored my friend or better yet agreed with her when she said "maybe I should go to the police and they will help me." Obviously, coming to a board that is full of knowledgeable and concerned in protecting the like minded to ask opinions on the situation was ultra crappy of me. May I rot in hell for my attempts at saving a family from an even stupider decision!

EMTMOM, in all honesty you're being as bullheaded as your friend's hubby.

They have a serious problem and one simply doesn't recognize it and the other isn't thinking all that clearly. It's probably going to end badly. Give them the advice (wife should lock 'em up and get licensed) and then back out of it.

It really is just as simple as that. One quick text message and then decline to discuss it with her again.

They will do what they will do and there's nothing you can do to stop them. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. It's on them now, not you.

Jesus H. Christ,

If I was closer, I'd offer your friend a private basic firearms course. The charge? $99, and I'd spend all $99 for her on this
pDSP1-12911470nm.jpg

currently on sale at Dicks for $99 with free shipping. What the Hell, if EMTMOM or EMTDAD will run with this and do the leg work, I'll donate the $100 and have it shipped to their door. Any local instructors teaching a class that have room for 1 more student, maybe a couple members here will actually teach her how to shoot and put in some range time.

HAve her apply for her LTC (or depending on the guns, even an FID), she'll have a cabinet and the "gun problem" will be solved. It won't solve her Marital issues, but nobody will go to jail for improper storage or unlicensed possession.

let me know if you want to supply an address, or if you want me to paypal you $99 and you can order the cabinet. He can even leave them under the bed (in the cabinet) if they don't have the wall space

IF as she says her only fear is that the guns aren't locked up and/or he's unlicensed, that solves both problems

Clearly your sarcasm radar is set at zero.

As for being a "good samaritan" in your opinion, I suppose the good samaritan in me should have ignored my friend or better yet agreed with her when she said "maybe I should go to the police and they will help me." Obviously, coming to a board that is full of knowledgeable and concerned in protecting the like minded to ask opinions on the situation was ultra crappy of me. May I rot in hell for my attempts at saving a family from an even stupider decision!

Be a Good Samaritan ,

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-Laws-By-and-For-Non-Lawyers-Seminar-Oct-2015

The anti's are winning the mind game in ma.
errmagrd, the cops are gonna find guns under my bed.

Although I don't know how the cops got involved, that is exactly the scenario in the case I testified for the defense (wrt large capacity issues) back this early Summer. The guns had no locking devices on them and were stashed under the defendant's bed. He's now doing 18 months in the Norfolk County Jail.

Although I don't know how the cops got involved, that is exactly the scenario in the case I testified for the defense (wrt large capacity issues) back this early Summer. The guns had no locking devices on them and were stashed under the defendant's bed. He's now doing 18 months in the Norfolk County Jail.
Yep, the wife is the one with all the ammo.

one phone call is all it takes to win the divorce game.
otherwise I'm pretty sure no one will be coming in for a surprise inspection.

It's surprising that this far into the thread, no one asked EMTMOM/EMTDAD if they know whether or not the recalcitrant husband is a PP (or if EMTMOM asked her friend if she knows). If he is, then that changes the whole calculus of any well-intentioned advice given out by other posters in this thread.

Yep, the wife is the one with all the ammo.

one phone call is all it takes to win the divorce game.
otherwise I'm pretty sure no one will be coming in for a surprise inspection.

No, the case I referred to above the guy had been divorced for a long time. He does have a Son (10 yo IIRC) however, but I do not know the custody/living arrangement. Pure guess that ex dropped the dime however.

No, the case I referred to above the guy had been divorced for a long time. He does have a Son (10 yo IIRC) however, but I do not know the custody/living arrangement. Pure guess that ex dropped the dime however.
right, without all the facts, as in the case above, it's not right for me to guess ,
if the husband is a pp, or the wife is afraid of him going off the hook,
its not just a storage issue.

Back
Top Bottom