• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking Answers to Help a Friend

My friend just shared with me that her husband is in possession of "several firearms" and he has snuck them into the house and is storing them unsecured, wrapped in blankets under the bed. Her husband is not licensed. She wants to know if she can call the police and tell them about the firearms or is she going to be in trouble as well, since they are in her house.

EMTDAD and I would go and retain possession of them, however, we do not have a proper place to store them here in our home.

She honestly is trying to protect herself and her two children. That is her priority and she is terrified.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

She honestly is trying to protect herself and her two children. That is her priority and she is terrified.

Terrified of the guns? How they are stored? How they were acquired? Or what he might do with them? Is this in MA?

Terrified of what will happen if they are caught. They are currently wrapped in a blanket under the bed, no cases, no locks. He obtained them years ago in Delaware (he told her he didn't need a license there). They live in Massachusetts now.

He kept them, until recently, at his work location. He was mandated to remove them and he snuck them home. She discovered them.

It's the safest option, barring his voluntary decision to get rid of them. I don't think a guy accruing firearms unlicensed holds the law in very high regard. And I hope that he would know and consent to you possessing them...right?

Terrified of being caught but wants to call the police? [thinking]

Yeah... how stupid can people be? Sure, she can call the police if she never wants to see her husband again and also makes sure he's useless for providing any alimony or child support after the divorce (jailed/unemployed people have trouble with that).

guys.. I'm sitting here across from EMTMOM as she's texting this friend.. This is real. Please lay off the snarkiness. If you don't have useful advice, please refrain from commenting.

Friend's marriage is crumbling. I'm not sure she fears for her safety as far as domestic violence, but she definitely fears the penalties associated with illegal possession and improper storage here in MA. She probably also fears for her kids with the lack of proper storage. This woman has no firearms training. We're trying to figure out what her options are, within the legal framework of MA.

The question is, if you found your spouse had firearms in your house, and both of you were unlicensed, what would you do?

is he resisting getting rid of the guns?

not sure at this time.

Looking for a short term resolution, to comply legally. Obviously 6-8 weeks waiting for an LTC doesn't help in the near future.

My advice was to find a licensed friend able to store them for a couple of months.

Second thought was to call lawyer first thing in the AM.

3rd thought was to ask NES, FWIW.

and yes, it does sound like a complete shitshow.

The question is, if you found your spouse had firearms in your house, and both of you were unlicensed, what would you do?

Too many unknowns.

If it were my spouse I'd buy her trigger locks, one for each firearm, and register her for a firearms safety course, stat.

I don't think your friend has anything to fear from the authorities as they will readily accept her role as the victim.

So many red flags. EMT couple, your friend needs a lawyer not a blog post. Be careful that you don't become collateral damage.

if they're all hand guns, put them in zip lock bags and put them in the ash dump of the chimney, cover with some ash. leave them there till things get figured out. nobody will find them unless you get the chimney swept.
BTW, what is the source of these guns? that's a big unknown here.

if I were their friend, I would not store the guns for them. if he is being sneaky about it and is unlicensed, who knows how he REALLY acquired the guns. unless you were 100% sure they were legit not stolen or bought illegally, I wouldn't even let them in my house. if you are 100% sure they are legit, find someone to store them and get a license. how long have they been in MA that they still don't have a license?

Thx. I am told they were brought from a free state years ago.

They were improperly stored at his small biz, then brought home, for some reason.

Lots of fail here.

Lawyer. If not, who knows where the kids will end up.

Since we don't know if they were purchased legally. Any course of action would be a slippery slope. Short of, bringing the guns to a no questions asked buy back.
Do we know what they are? Family keepsakes? Military relics? A dime a dozen Mossberg 12-gauge?

Quantity of firearms? What are her feelings of repercussions if she turns him in - what will he do? Rocky relationship could escalate and spiral out of control? Sounds like they need to be adults and talk, maybe with someone present as a mediator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah don't take possession just a world of bad news for you guys there. Have him remove the barrels from any handguns and the bolts from any long guns and just put them anywhere that's not in the house so they are at least unusable. Depending on the situation the wife needs him to take an LTC course asap and get the ball rolling. You need to have the wife sit her down and go over some safety because yeah she may be the victim but if she is home and not him when the cops come knocking she's in some trouble. Also I was under the impression that you couldn't register firearms in this state without an ffl. I posed the hypothetical on one of the found gun in blah blah blah posts and was told if you find it you need an FFL to register. Best thing to do as much as we make fun of it is gun buy back those.

Well, does that priority include having her Husband saddled with a felony conviction? Because that is exactly what will happen if she calls the police.

He should put gun locks on all of them and either get licensed or have a friend bring him and the guns to a dealer to put them on consignment.

Doesn't sound like either one of them are very smart.

He legally had 60 days from MOVING into MA to get licensed. If he keeps his mouth shut and goes about getting his license (and locks them up in some legal way) all will be legal and good again. But if either of them involve the police, he'll likely become unemployable with a felony conviction.

Friend's marriage is crumbling. I'm not sure she fears for her safety as far as domestic violence, but she definitely fears the penalties associated with illegal possession and improper storage here in MA. She probably also fears for her kids with the lack of proper storage. This woman has no firearms training. We're trying to figure out what her options are, within the legal framework of MA.

See my prior post on what to do.

Sounds like divorce lawyer may be involved shortly, as soon as her lawyer learns of the guns he'll notify the police or tell her to do so as it puts her in the catbird seat for the divorce . . . and him in jail. Large lawyer bills and forget about alimony/child support as menial jobs (all he'll be qualified to get with a felony conviction) don't earn much money.

He needs to get the guns out of the house and preferably in the hands of an FFL who can either hold them for him (if he ever decides to get licensed, which doesn't sound likely) or sell them in MA or via GunBroker outside of MA.

Personally I would never volunteer to hold someone's guns in a case like this, I'd get stuck with them but couldn't dispose of them either as he "forgets" about them and does nothing for years and years.

not sure at this time.

Looking for a short term resolution, to comply legally. Obviously 6-8 weeks waiting for an LTC doesn't help in the near future.

My advice was to find a licensed friend able to store them for a couple of months.

Second thought was to call lawyer first thing in the AM.

3rd thought was to ask NES, FWIW.

and yes, it does sound like a complete shitshow.

A lawyer about the guns isn't really needed. A divorce lawyer to protect him seems needed here.

Meanwhile he needs to get the guns out of there immediately and in the hands of an FFL before he gets nailed by the Wife calling the police on him. That will ruin the rest of his life and I'm not kidding about that.

OK,so the OP knows where the guns are,and that they are illegaliy stored,and possessed .Knowing that info,and not reporting it could that not fall under an accessory after the fact.Not to mention that he stating all over the forum that he knows about it.We will all chip in, and send you a soap on a rope.

She sounds like a criminal. She should rot in prison for being a shit wife. Reminds me why I threw my ex out years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom