• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me learn to love .22

Just ordered the Promag nomad stock for one of my 10/22s and a cheap red dot for tactical plinking ops

Attachments

• 794C3AE3-E13C-4985-8065-F3BD9AB604FC.jpeg
    794C3AE3-E13C-4985-8065-F3BD9AB604FC.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 5
The key to a fun .22 is having it be accurate. So most of my .22s are biased towards that.

If you want a lever gun, get a Henry small game rifle or carbine. It comes with a Skinner peep sight. This makes the gun much easier to shoot accurately.

View attachment 857598

I've recently started learning skills and acquiring hardware to participate in Rimfire PRS. This is like regular "practical rifle" matches except it's done with a .22. The beauty of this is if you enjoy shooting a centerfire at long range, where you need to work things like wind drift, density altitude, etc into your firing solution, you can do it at much shorter ranges with a .22.

I'll find a photo of the Bergara based bolt gun I'm planning to use in PRS rimfire. The action was about $600, the chassis about $500 and the optic is a Nikon I had already that cost about $500.

At 200 yards, a 6.5 Creedmoor is a laser. At 200 yards a .22 LR is flying a big arcing trajectory and is very subject to wind drift.

This is me shooting 180 yards on my land in NH using a Kidd 10/22 Supergrade ( coolguyguns.com ) with CCI standard velocity.

View attachment 857599
Nice. Thank you for shooting at the Jeep.

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me
you will love it when it shoots precise. ruger mark4 for the pistol, cz457 for the rifle - and you will not be bored.
.22lr uppers are ok, but, none of what i have/had were better then 1.5MOA. cz457 varmint is same hole good at 100yds.

I've got cases of Mini-mags that should have been shot up at hunting camps when the kids join Veterans Day weekend. Unfortunately, I haven't been in years.

I have a handful of 22's:
  1. S&W 617 4", K-FRAME
  2. S&W 63 3", J-FRAME
  3. RUGER MK3 22/45
  4. RUGER SR22
  5. RUGER 10/22
  6. Old Mossberg bolt 22, don't remember model.
I've been eyeing up a precision bolt 22.
My revolvers are my favorites, as far as the handguns go.

I've put a bull barrel, & hogue stock on the 10/22... maybe a few other upgrades.
Mk3 is pretty modded as well.

Ya, I like 22's. Great, cheap fun. Also gets my wife to the range... AND she's especially comfortable and confident with the revolvers.

She'll even shoot my 357 revolvers.

you will love it when it shoots precise. ruger mark4 for the pistol, cz457 for the rifle - and you will not be bored.
.22lr uppers are ok, but, none of what i have/had were better then 1.5MOA. cz457 varmint is same hole good at 100yds.
You haven't had a Compass Lake upper. Mine is on par with my Anschutz.

I got bored with my 10/22 quick…it was the only rifle I’ve ever sold. Then I got an m&p 15-22 and put a cheap scope on it…the thing is a blast!

My favorite is setting up spent shotgun shells at 50-75 yards and plinking them. You take the shot, then wait a sec for the bullet to reach the target.

Nice. Thank you for shooting at the Jeep.
Ha. No, I was shooting OVER the Jeep. At the pile of dirt about 100 yards behind it.

It's clearer when I'm shooting off the back of the Jeep where the berm is.

1709908142192.jpeg

I mentioned that I was building a Bergara for PRS Rimfire. This is a shot of it back in Nov.

1709908189328.jpeg

Based on the fact that the scope is dialed up 3.6 mils, that's about a 130 yard shot. Not at the Jeep. There are several pieces of steel between 1 and 3 inches on that berm.

I have a CZ455 with bothe .22 and .17 barrels
Ha. No, I was shooting OVER the Jeep. At the pile of dirt about 100 yards behind it.

It's clearer when I'm shooting off the back of the Jeep where the berm is.

View attachment 858893

I mentioned that I was building a Bergara for PRS Rimfire. This is a shot of it back in Nov.

View attachment 858894

Based on the fact that the scope is dialed up 3.6 mils, that's about a 130 yard shot. Not at the Jeep. There are several pieces of steel between 1 and 3 inches on that berm.
another lefty ✊

Let me see if I've got this. You stuff a bunch of bullets into a magazine, aim, then just pull the trigger over and over and over, then feel something is missing? Well, no shit. You're missing the whole Zen element. It's as if your sex life was nothing but quickies—never the gourmet version. Like driving nothing but Teslas and wondering why the guy in the MG TD is grinning more than you. It ain't the caliber.

Before I shoot a .22, I've disassembled the sumbich, polished the action, and dehorned it. Makes it mine. Then when I cock it, it sounds and feels like a Swiss watch, and I know it's because I've spent hours on productive foreplay. As I hear the responsive clicks I know everything that's going on inside. I know she's fully lubed with Mobil 1 red. She dances when I spin her, and when I aim, she complies without question. A little pressure in the right spot and she goes off just as anticipated, crying out in gratitude. And then I get to repeat the entire process—not simply pulling a trigger again like some unwashed barbarian. It ain't the caliber, son. You're missing the Zen.

It's even better with magnums. They respond louder.

I have a .22 conversion for full auto.. I think I put about 200 rounds through it.
22 has its uses it’s not as gay .40

I have some 22 bullseye pistols that I enjoy.. but I can’t stand up to the competition so I don’t enjoy competing

I like 22 for squirrel hunting or executing fittings. I have to get put down chickens/ducks because it’s quiet

I tried to get into 22 to save money but when I was reloading my own stuff and casting my own bullets and buying stuff in bulk, I’d rather shoot a $.10 223 over a 22.. I’m pretty sure my 9 mm reloading only cost about 6 sense.

I think a lot of people like 22 from the nostalgia of growing up and learning how to shoot usually with a 22

Let me see if I've got this. You stuff a bunch of bullets into a magazine, aim, then just pull the trigger over and over and over, then feel something is missing? Well, no shit. You're missing the whole Zen element. It's as if your sex life was nothing but quickies—never the gourmet version. Like driving nothing but Teslas and wondering why the guy in the MG TD is grinning more than you. It ain't the caliber.

Before I shoot a .22, I've disassembled the sumbich, polished the action, and dehorned it. Makes it mine. Then when I cock it, it sounds and feels like a Swiss watch, and I know it's because I've spent hours on productive foreplay. As I hear the responsive clicks I know everything that's going on inside. I know she's fully lubed with Mobil 1 red. She dances when I spin her, and when I aim, she complies without question. A little pressure in the right spot and she goes off just as anticipated, crying out in gratitude. And then I get to repeat the entire process—not simply pulling a trigger again like some unwashed barbarian. It ain't the caliber, son. You're missing the Zen.

It's even better with magnums. They respond louder.
Yes, this is how I treat my hi powered rifles when precision shooting.
Precision shooting a centerfire rifle cartridge is far more satisfying than .22 to me, especially when I roll my own rounds for it

On a Side Note You’re right I do need to find my ZEN but I don’t think it’s gonna be precision shooting .22, I’d rather take a bath with my cat.
Steel plate challenges sound far more entertaining

I have a .22 conversion for full auto.. I think I put about 200 rounds through it.
22 has its uses it’s not as gay .40

I have some 22 bullseye pistols that I enjoy.. but I can’t stand up to the competition so I don’t enjoy competing

I like 22 for squirrel hunting or executing fittings. I have to get put down chickens/ducks because it’s quiet

I tried to get into 22 to save money but when I was reloading my own stuff and casting my own bullets and buying stuff in bulk, I’d rather shoot a $.10 223 over a 22.. I’m pretty sure my 9 mm reloading only cost about 6 sense.

I think a lot of people like 22 from the nostalgia of growing up and learning how to shoot usually with a 22
I have more .308 and .556 than both from loading and buying cheep over the years I should think about getting a permit from the FD

I was in this camp Till this year.
My component stash is dry, so mass loading range ammo is now $0.35 for 5.56 and I haven’t even done the math on 7.62

I need to learn to love .22 cause with a house kids and bills I can’t afford to blast off 500 rounds of centerfire a weekend anymore, at least not till my season gets going. And no matter ho much you have on hand 500 rounds weekend is 26k rounds a year let’s just say I could probably go for 10 years at that pace with .22

Those are outrageous prices for reloading. I do it on the cheap, but I do copper plate my own bullets in the basement. or at least I used to I stop reloading the secondary receive my custom 308 molds.
I put them away and I haven’t seen them since I received them like five years ago and it pisses me off because I know they’re somewhere I store my stuff pretty good so it doesn’t go bad or get rusty.

You guys know me shoot between four and 8000 rounds in a few hours with you guys or further north so I would just make it all and shoot it all over the course of a week.

I’ve got plenty of factory ammo. I just don’t shoot that much anymore.

Last edited:
Those are outrageous prices for reloading. I do it on the cheap, but I do copper plate my own bullets in the basement. or at least I used to I stop reloading the secondary receive my custom 308 molds.
I put them away and I haven’t seen them since I received them like five years ago and it pisses me off because I know they’re somewhere I store my stuff pretty good so it doesn’t go bad or get rusty.

You at the Wright shoot between four and 8000 rounds and a few hours with you guys or up north so I would just make it all and shoot it all over the course of a week.

I’ve got plenty of factory ammo. I just don’t shoot that much anymore.
Not casting FMJs for the M1A or the ARs
I do Shoot cast/plated for the .45 and the 30/30 with low recoil loads though

But let’s do the math
1000 55 Gr FMJs $100
1 lb of powder (7k grains) Takes 3ish lbs to load 275-280 rounds so 3.5 lbs or so with work up waste and mistakes $150
Primers $150
So short math for a case of hand loaded 5.56 at todays prices without frugal shopping is $350…

Guess I could save a nickel and buy 5k primers 8 lbs of powder and 5k bullets but that’s still 2x what it used to cost to reload it

Plus my time

Glad I don’t own any commie caliber rifles

I keep saying the same thing, but I also don’t want them to know what I have, considering dispersing some excess I have to a second home in a state that does not have similar restrictions
I’ve learned not to talk specifically about how much ammunition have, it makes a lot of people uneasy.
“Eh why do you have so much can’t to you just buy it as you need it?”

I just say “do you buy nails one at a time or a bulk box cause you always need nails in life”

Don’t even mention your DUTY as an American

I have more .308 and .556 than both from loading and buying cheep over the years I should think about getting a permit from the FD

I was in this camp Till this year.
My component stash is dry, so mass loading range ammo is now $0.35 for 5.56 and I haven’t even done the math on 7.62

I need to learn to love .22 cause with a house kids and bills I can’t afford to blast off 500 rounds of centerfire a weekend anymore, at least not till my season gets going. And no matter ho much you have on hand 500 rounds weekend is 26k rounds a year let’s just say I could probably go for 10 years at that pace with .22
There is nothing wrong with enjoying 22lr. I run practice plate shoots at my club spring summer fall weekly. Used to just set up centerfire pistol plates but in 2020 I started setting up a 22lr rack for the guys when component and ammo prices went sky high and the guys started bringing 22s to habe fun at less of a hit to the wallet. 22s on plates can be alot of fun.

I’ve learned not to talk specifically about how much ammunition have, it makes a lot of people uneasy.
“Eh why do you have so much can’t to you just buy it as you need it?”

I just say “do you buy nails one at a time or a bulk box cause you always need nails in life”

Don’t even mention your DUTY as an American
Same, I tell them I have enough to tolerate the ebbs and flows in the market and leave it at that.

I have a personal policy that every time I go shoot I replace what I shot and if prices aren’t covid prices, I’ll buy 2-3x what I shot, it adds up quick…

Same, I tell them I have enough to tolerate the ebbs and flows in the market and leave it at that.

I have a personal policy that every time I go shoot I replace what I shot and if prices aren’t covid prices, I’ll buy 2-3x what I shot, it adds up quick…
Common theme I learned early on from the forums. And “buy cheap stack deep)
Back when it was super secret finding online vendors and if you had a place, you could get 2-3 guys to go in on a bulk order
Never forget needing the forklift at work to put a pallet of boxes marked “small arms ammunition” in my truck 🤣

I’ve told the story before but I stopped shooting regularly around 2016, bought a new house, had another kid, quit my job and started my own business. Now finally having some time to get back Into it and sticker shock is an understatement!

Common theme I learned early on from the forums. And “buy cheap stack deep)
Back when it was super secret finding online vendors and if you had a place, you could get 2-3 guys to go in on a bulk order
Never forget needing the forklift at work to put a pallet of boxes marked “small arms ammunition” in my truck 🤣

I’ve told the story before but I stopped shooting regularly around 2016, bought a new house, had another kid, quit my job and started my own business. Now finally having some time to get back Into it and sticker shock is an understatement!
I did similar, really got back into it in 2018, I thought prices were fair, but didn’t think of how cheap it really was…15cpr for 9mm, 2-3cpr for 22LR, I think 5.56 was around 25cpr, every time I buy ammo I simply think “should have bought more” I noticed 223/5.56 has not come back down as much as everything else has

I did similar, really got back into it in 2018, I thought prices were fair, but didn’t think of how cheap it really was…15cpr for 9mm, 2-3cpr for 22LR, I think 5.56 was around 25cpr, every time I buy ammo I simply think “should have bought more” I noticed 223/5.56 has not come back down as much as everything else has
It’s not gonna come back down with Biden calling for lake city to cut civilian sales and a proxy war on 2 fronts
It used to be we were in competition for each other for the surplus ammunition that the government didn’t buy,
Now the government is our competition
The only difference is there still using our money to pay for it

lolz, ran across an old 100 pack when I unpacked my 'inheritance' : $1.99. 50 years old and no duds.

If you're able to shoot at your own range set up a shooting gallery, 22 targets are cheap, beer cans, Texas stars that use clays etc

I used to be able to till I couldn’t afford the $2 million for the old Boy Scout camp in my backyard
Now I have neighbors 495 feet away 🤣

It’s not gonna come back down with Biden calling for lake city to cut civilian sales and a proxy war on 2 fronts
It used to be we were in competition for each other for the surplus ammunition that the government didn’t buy,
Now the government is our competition
The only difference is there still using our money to pay for it
Oh I know…I keep buying at todays prices, knowing that tomorrows prices are likely going to be worse. I’ve also been making it a point to consolidate what cartridges I shoot so that stacking ‘deeper’ is easier on the more recently added becomes easier

Oh I know…I keep buying at todays prices, knowing that tomorrows prices are likely going to be worse. I’ve also been making it a point to consolidate what cartridges I shoot so that stacking ‘deeper’ is easier on the more recently added becomes easier
Yep, I got all the communist rifle calibers out of my system. Luckily when it was all stupid cheap.
Sticking to 556,
308 and 9 mm for my bulk stuff although now I have my dad’s 1911 I gotta start working on more 45 auto

30-30 and 30-06 are my oddball rifle calibers

9mm mak is my only commie caliber left and that’s just because I absolutely love the cc 82 pistol

Back
Top Bottom