• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide

Which one

• Wilson

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Nighthawk

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Staccato

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Alchemy

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Cabot

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
Atlas used to be good value but their prices are jacked up. You’d think that mass producing guns will drop the prices, but they went up instead.

I get the impression that you want something rare and exotic. Staccatos, Wilson, nighthawk, atlas, alchemy… they’re a dime a dozen. Look at classifieds and you’ll see tons of them listed. What you don’t see everyday is a Venom, Chambers, Mclearn, etc. If you want something unique, go with a custom builder. There are many good ones.

I agree, atlas was a great deal years ago. That’s why my first post suggested Don / Venom. Even his stuff was much cheaper 5 years ago but he’s gotten pretty well known now. I’d still go with him before Atlas

I looked at the cabots but i read they aren't hand fitted they just have crazy tolerances not sure how true that is

by far the sexiest gun on the list to me is the edcx9... the problem i have is Wilson's are everywhere... i can literally get a wilson at academy sports.

And that doesnt feel very custom to me.

"Custom? " That's your nit? 🤣

If you want it custom commission a build from someone decent. (Like the guy @LuvDog mentioned) and stop seeking consensus.

You want it custom but i smell flinting

Otherwise you wouldn't have asked

"Custom? " That's your nit? 🤣

If you want it custom commission a build from someone decent. (Like the guy @LuvDog mentioned) and stop seeking consensus.

You want it custom but i smell flinting

Otherwise you wouldn't have asked
I mean...i did buy a night hawk... so i guess?

That's not it though

I don't really under stand what makes these special... so why is nighthawk charging for hand fitting while cabot is like we're better than you because we're better than you and we fit nothing.

Why does nighthawk have so many options while cabot alchemy don't?

Why does Wilson pumping out guns left and right feel like they are going the dan wesson direction?

Its a quest for knowledge

Are there cooler makers out there... what does the GUN forum run when they aren't posting physique or talking about wearing out flashlights

@jkelly1229 you are not a dumb guy.

Suggestion

Take this money, the 4 grand or whatever it is, and put it in an envelope in your gun safe. Reapproach when you have a better idea. Or better yet Take that 4 grand and buy ammo with it instead of a gun you won't use. Unless you're competing a 2011 is a waste of cash.

Nah its a 2011

A hole money will be poured into after he ends up creating "$100 tuned magazines. because the platform is garbage.com" lol.

I hope im dead wrong, but 2011s always seemed like dumpster fires to me.

The 2011 has always been a great platform. But like everything, when new companies or builders get into it, quality ebbs and flows. It happened before when STI started their DVC line and built piss poor guns and had to be bought out and change names to Staccato, It is happening again with a lot of new manufacturers trying to pump out low cost guns. Even happens to high end builder when they try to build a lot of guns and start hiring apprentices to do the builds. There were issues around the time everyone switch from 38 Super/SC in Open guns with slide ride mounts. 9mm cases had too much variation to get consistent ejection, but that was solved with better brass and now is a non issue with smaller dots that don't cover the ejection port.

Tuned mags are really only needed when you are trying to squeeze the most amount of rounds into the mag.

The 2011 has always been a great platform. But like everything, when new companies or builders get into it, quality ebbs and flows. It happened before when STI started their DVC line and built piss poor guns and had to be bought out and change names to Staccato, It is happening again with a lot of new manufacturers trying to pump out low cost guns. Even happens to high end builder when they try to build a lot of guns and start hiring apprentices to do the builds. There were issues around the time everyone switch from 38 Super/SC in Open guns with slide ride mounts. 9mm cases had too much variation to get consistent ejection, but that was solved with better brass and now is a non issue with smaller dots that don't cover the ejection port.

Tuned mags are really only needed when you are trying to squeeze the most amount of rounds into the mag.
Good info. Is a $50 or less non tuned reliable 2011 mag a feasible thing now?

Good info. Is a $50 or less non tuned reliable 2011 mag a feasible thing now?
I got checkmate mags on brownells for $45, using a 10% off coupon. They’re the OEM magazine manufacturer for staccato, nighthawk, triarc, and others. I just found out that they make mags for tisas double stacks. Price went up after I bought them, wish I bought more.

@jkelly1229 you are not a dumb guy.

Suggestion

Take this money, the 4 grand or whatever it is, and put it in an envelope in your gun safe. Reapproach when you have a better idea. Or better yet Take that 4 grand and buy ammo with it instead of a gun you won't use. Unless you're competing a 2011 is a waste of cash.
Too late

This is the other thing right.

Like what's hype what's junk

What is a brand selling its logo to be reproduced by rock island...

What is a manufacturing company out of nowhere getting on the current hotness

This is the other thing right.

Like what's hype what's junk

What is a brand selling its logo to be reproduced by rock island...

What is a manufacturing company out of nowhere getting on the current hotness

Yeah, it's tough to know, especially with all the instagram shooters shilling the latest gun company and lifestyle.

It's easier to get a good read on what a reputable builders in the competition world because the 2011 has been shot there for so long that you can talk to 50 people with 2011s at a match and get all sorts of info, plus they are more than happy to let you shoot their guns. The Tacti-Timmay world isn't there yet, they are still new to 2011s and seem to be easily swayed by marketing. It can't be tough to wade thru the hype, but generally if one company says their gun does something that the competition gun doesn't...its hype.

Plus gun popularity ebbs and flows, what was the hottest one year, it old news the next. But you will find a few builders that have stood the test of time and continue to make awesome guns just without the latest flash.

I generally look for a builder that has made guns for a while and do so at a consistent rate, one builder with very few models that didn't suddenly hire a bunch of apprentices and are now building guns for all sorts of shooters

Back
Top Bottom