• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide on new 9mm handgun

Old guy. Bad shoulder and bad arthritis on right hand index finger. And other stuff like lack of disc in neck. The list goes on...Makes it hard to hold anything up high (putting a gallon of milk on the top shelf of the fridge is barely possible these days), put weight on index finger (think picking up frying pan, or even opening closed jar). So what I can use well is probably limited.

Looking for a new handgun in 9mm. Not restricted by MA laws. Currently have M&P and Shield. Not thrilled w M&P. Thinking I need something more shield sized, the lighter the gun, the better for my shoulder. The easier to pull slide and trigger, the easier on my index finger. Don't know anything about the new SW equalizer. Don't want SA/DA from Sig, I have that in their 22 and though I love that pistol (hate that I need to buy the expensive ammo), don't want that in my 9mm.

So looking for recs, thoughts, experiences from others who have shot a wide variety of 9mm. Thanks.

I have a wide variety of 9mm handguns. Kahr, Canik, Sig, Glock and many more.

I'm in metrowest. If you're in these parts I'm glad to host you at my club and let you try a variety of 9mm handguns. My treat.

PM me if you're interested.

And another thought, I wonder if reloading some powder puff loads would help? I imagine others here have solid recipes for something like this.

Rich

1. MA laws don't restrict any handguns.
2. SIG 365, GLOCK or Kahr.
Thanks. I used live in MA and needed to buy special model that had certain trigger pressure and no more than 10 round mag. Maybe that isn't the case anymore..

Do you have specific models in mind on the Kahr? Looking on the website I see quite a variety of their value or premium, each has a few models. Assuming I want all polymer for lightness?

Last edited:
Thanks. I used live in MA and needed to buy special model that had certain trigger pressure and no more than 10 round mag. Maybe that isn't the case anymore..

Do you have specific models in mind on the Kahr?
They have the mag restrictions.

But there is no restrictions for the handguns, you can own whichever handgun you want.

The only restrictions is what a dealer can transfer NEW.

Kahr CM9 or PM9. Awesome concealment. They were making these guns before small CCW were cool.

"Thinking I need something more shield-sized, the lighter the gun, the better for my shoulder. The easier to pull slide and trigger, the easier on my index finger."

I'm going to go against the normal suggestions and say a Springfield 1911 Operator in 9mm. The one I had, the slide felt like it was gliding on air when you racked it, no recoil at all, extremely accurate and reliable, and a real joy to shoot. I have no problem concealing 1911 sized pistols, but I know some people do. Just an out of the box suggestion for you.

For a light gun with an easy trigger pull could be the Sig 938. Other 9mm I can suggest is the Glock 43X or 48. The biggest problem for you will be racking the slide on any gun.

There's the Hellcat and Shield plus. I have both along with the Sig 365 and other 9's that are a bit out of your requirements.

Both can carry a decent amount of ammunition. As for triggers, meh. I find all of the plastics lack luster but they serve a purpose. I wanted the Plus to be the better shooter but my hand and eye prefer the Hellcat and that's even with the Shield being the performance center model.

Glock 19c if you can find one. If not get a custom cut slide and a comp cut 9mm barrel with the need to down spring a cut slide based on less slide mass it will be really easy to rack. .

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_145524.jpg
    IMG_20180704_145524.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20180704_145521.jpg
    IMG_20180704_145521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
They have the mag restrictions.

But there is no restrictions for the handguns, you can own whichever handgun you want.

The only restrictions is what a dealer can transfer NEW.

Kahr CM9 or PM9. Awesome concealment. They were making these guns before small CCW were cool.
Racking the CM9 or PM9 requires alot of force. Probably not the best option. I would say most striker fired guns on the market are much easier to rack.

Sig P250 is pure shitposting of course.

Glock 19c if you can find one. If not get a custom cut slide and a comp cut 9mm barrel with the need to down spring a cut slide based on less slide mass it will be really easy to rack. .
This is actually a pretty good idea.

Shield EZ. It’s meant for people with weak hands to be able to manipulate the slide. I was looking at this for my wife. Link below explains how. It requires about half the force to rack the slide as a standard M&P. Also easier to load the mags. I’d recommend going to .380 to go even lighter, but it also comes in 9mm.

This is what I’m recommending for my wife once she has her LTC.

Last edited:
He's kind of splitting hairs, which is what he does. He's technically correct, but unless you can find a non dealer who has exactly what you want and do a face to face transfer, you are out of luck.

OTOH, since you don't live in MA it's a moot point.

Do you have specific models in mind on the Kahr? Looking on the website I see quite a variety of their value or premium, each has a few models. Assuming I want all polymer for lightness?

They are taking orders for this (available in 9mm) Monday AM, and it's available in 9x19. The model they put online Friday sold out in 18 seconds.

Lots of good options posted, but they are still personal opinions. I am also an old, arthritic guy, and when I wanted to change from a snubby to a small semi auto in 9mm, I put a list together from reading online reviews and posts on NES. I then went to a LGS that had a range and rental guns and rented 5 guns from my list. A couple guns I put only 1 mag thru and said no, the other 3 I ran several mags thru and picked my favorite. That was 3 + years ago, it cost me $70, I chose the SIG P365.

If you have the funds and a local store with a range and rental guns, I recommend doing this rather than just deciding on a gun based on reviews and recommendations. Alternatively, if you are a club member, ask around when you are there, most folks will be happy to let you shoot one of their guns if it is one you are interested in. Plenty of NES members have also offered folks considering a particular gun a chance to shoot theirs. Happy hunting, and please post your final choice.

CZ 75 p01 or hk Vp9sk. My 14yo daughters who do pretty much nothing other than text on their phones can rack the slides with ease.

Hk VP9 series for your weak hands. It's got the ears on the slide to help you rack it and nice forward serrations. If all else fails, rack the slide on the rear sight

Sounds like a Smith EZ 9MM to me. Polymer frame easy to rack the slide. Easy to shoot but still a good defense caliber.

Back
Top Bottom