• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide on new 9mm handgun

The mention of a 1911 above is not a bad idea. A nice 1911 feels better than sex when racking the slide. You don't need to go with a $3K 1911 to get a very smooth slide.

@1919FAN

Forget 9mm. 9mm is not for you. Either switch to 22lr or 380.
I like others here have lots invested in 9mm ammo from the past and would hate to give that up. I also have lots of 22 so could be an option, just don't think of 22 rimfire as what I want if my or loved ones life on the line.

CZ 75 p01 or hk Vp9sk. My 14yo daughters who do pretty much nothing other than text on their phones can rack the slides with ease.
I know it is hard to believe but with the shape my hands are in, I am pretty sure your 14yo kids hand strength is way more than mine...Unfortunately, it is my trigger finger and thumb, what I need to rack the slide. Possibly can learn to rack the slide differently.

Was also thinking I should move to snub nose.

Have a local range/gun store that I will take some of these suggestions to and try several out. Appreciate the comments.

I second the Shield EZ, my mother(along with her 74yr old arthritic hands) loves hers.
I just had a friend who is new to firearms buy a shield EZ Performance Center model. Has several enhancements over the standard EZ that I thought were worth the extra cost, extended grip safety, ported, fiber optic sights, etc. also the mags are easier to load
1702439578228.jpeg
Also didn’t know that the EZ is hammer fired, not striker.

Attachments

• 1702439419932.jpeg
    1702439419932.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2
P220 .45 or P226 9mm. Sig equinox

I only suggest the 45 because of magazine capacity, and whether you want to shell out a fortune for magazines for the 9mm

I know it is hard to believe but with the shape my hands are in, I am pretty sure your 14yo kids hand strength is way more than mine...Unfortunately, it is my trigger finger and thumb, what I need to rack the slide. Possibly can learn to rack the slide differently.
Definitely look at other ways to rack than the traditional slingshot. many people find versions of the clamshell grip help as their hand strength diminishes.

Edit - the idea of an optic is also worth considering. Not only is it easier to focus on than irons, but, as mentioned, it gives a good handle to help manipulate the slide.

Was also thinking I should move to snub nose.
If you're worried about trigger weight, a wheel gun probably isn't the best solution. Either you're pulling through a nearly 10lb double action trigger to advance the cylinder, or you're spending extra time using your thumb to cock the hammer. If you have time to cock the hammer, do you really need the gun yet?

Have a local range/gun store that I will take some of these suggestions to and try several out. Appreciate the comments.
This is the way.

I'll be another to recommend the EZ line from S&W. They're not perfect, but they may fulfill your needs of a lightweight pistol that's easy to manipulate with a reasonably light trigger.

Last edited:
Problem I see with a lot of smaller guns is that the force required to rack the slide is more than on bigger guns. My LC9s is a nice lightweight pistol, but racking is at least twice as hard as racking my 1911 or Glock 21.
The Glock 19, 26 or PSA Dagger might be a good choice for light weight with an easy to operate slide.

If you're thinking snubnose - the Ruger LCR is available in 9mm. Very light but I don't know how the recoil is.

Small guns tend to be snappier - how are your hands for managing recoil? Will that be a factor too?

Thanks. I used live in MA and needed to buy special model that had certain trigger pressure and no more than 10 round mag. Maybe that isn't the case anymore..

Do you have specific models in mind on the Kahr? Looking on the website I see quite a variety of their value or premium, each has a few models. Assuming I want all polymer for lightness?

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9. It's a great gun, but has a very long, albeit smooth, trigger pull. Not sure if that would work for your hand strength.

I holster carry a Canik from time to time. I recently picked up their MC9, that I believe someone else mentioned. Very comfortable to shoot. Superb trigger.

I love the CZ 75. It's a bit heavy but handles recoil beautifully. The problem is the slide is difficult to rack. The grip area is small.

If you're willing to look at .380's, I recently shot my old Sig 232. It's small, lightweight, but made of metal. Very comfortable to shoot. And with self defense type ammo these days the ballistics are not too different from 9mm.

I do like older, metal Sig products. Yes, they are heavy, but the recoil is absorbed by and large by the weight. Sig 229 is a great midsized handgun. The Sig 239 is their compact version.

I'm not much of an H&K guy. Their grips tend to be too large for my hands. Regarding Glock, well, I truly think Canik makes a better pistol these days, and the trigger is way better IMHO.

I have all the pistols mentioned above. And more. I'm a 9mm junkie, I guess. You are welcome to try any and all.

The 'issue' w/ the Sig 232 (I have one) is that as a blowback design, it's a bi*ch to rack.

Might want to consider the Beretta 80? w/ tip up barrel in 380. Very easy on the hands.

My CZ PCR is just fantastic (I can't emphasize that enough. it's like a laser) but as noted, there isn't a lot of slide grab.

229 w/ Gray ELS is amazing too. Perhaps a bit 'big'

Also, the DanWesson ECP is a bull barrel and at 4", reasonably small.

Last edited:
Problem I see with a lot of smaller guns is that the force required to rack the slide is more than on bigger guns. My LC9s is a nice lightweight pistol, but racking is at least twice as hard as racking my 1911 or Glock 21.
The Glock 19, 26 or PSA Dagger might be a good choice for light weight with an easy to operate slide.

If you're thinking snubnose - the Ruger LCR is available in 9mm. Very light but I don't know how the recoil is.

Small guns tend to be snappier - how are your hands for managing recoil? Will that be a factor too?
2 things working against me. Partially torn rotator and biceps tendon plus the arthritis. Shoulder issue is directly related to the weight of the gun. I can carry a gallon of milk with my arm down wo issue. It is only as I start to raise that weight. No problem until it gets mid chest. At shoulder height, there is no strength and all pain. So the lighter the gun, the easier it will be hold. I think I can try different guns and different ways to rack, When I lived in MA, I had trigger pressure modified by a gunsmith, but still looking for something that requires an easy short pull. As they say, 'sucks to get old'.

The Springfield Hellcat is very nicely built and tiny for 10+1, 11+1 or 17+1 if you want the long stick. Fairly easy to rack, and if you have an optic on it, just rack the optic if you really can't do the slide.

If you're going to have difficulty raising a firearm to eye height in order to be able to use traditional sights, or even a RDS, due to your shoulder issue, then perhaps you should consider getting a gun on which you can mount a laser...or laser grip. That way, you don't need to raise the gun too high in order to take aim.

Frank

BTW, appreciate all the replies. I have a MA compliant Shield. I guess that just means the trigger pull is higher than what I can get now that I am not in MA. But can anyone tell me the difference between OG shield and EZ version?

I like the idea of a laser mount, I know the shield can come that way from the factory. Assuming others can as well, or easy add on.

BTW, appreciate all the replies. I have a MA compliant Shield. I guess that just means the trigger pull is higher than what I can get now that I am not in MA. But can anyone tell me the difference between OG shield and EZ version?
(links for reference only, I have no relationship)
MA-compliant Gen 1 Shield 9mm is a striker-fired pistol with a 10+ lb trigger
Free state Gen 1 Shield 9mm has a 6.5 lb (nominal) trigger
Replacing that trigger with the Apex kit drops it by 1-2 lbs (nominal) and makes it feel much smoother.
I put an Apex kit in my MA Shield before I ever even took it to the range. This could be the least expensive route to a solution for you, assuming you comfortably un/load it and raise it to present at a target.​

The Shield EZ is an entirely different product with a similar name.
It uses an internal hammer and a single-action trigger that allegedly comes in at 4-5 lbs.​
It also has oversized relief cuts on the sides to help with racking, and a thumb stud on the magazine follower to aid in loading (like a 22 magazine).​

(links for reference only, I have no relationship)
MA-compliant Gen 1 Shield 9mm is a striker-fired pistol with a 10+ lb trigger
Free state Gen 1 Shield 9mm has a 6.5 lb (nominal) trigger
Replacing that trigger with the Apex kit drops it by 1-2 lbs (nominal) and makes it feel much smoother.
I put an Apex kit in my MA Shield before I ever even took it to the range. This could be the least expensive route to a solution for you, assuming you comfortably un/load it and raise it to present at a target.​

The Shield EZ is an entirely different product with a similar name.
It uses an internal hammer and a single-action trigger that allegedly comes in at 4-5 lbs.​
It also has oversized relief cuts on the sides to help with racking, and a thumb stud on the magazine follower to aid in loading (like a 22 magazine).​
Two versions of the EZ. The performance center version has a very nice trigger in addition to other upgrades that I posted previously.

My old man was in a similar boat a few years ago. He had a ppks for years and loved it but, due to arthritis, he was having similar issues and was also debating going back to a revolver.
He carried a Glock while on duty for years so I recommended a g43x. For once he actually took my advice and he loves it.
If the Glock grip angle isn’t your thing a lot of people like the sig 365xl. It’s striker fired so no double single.
Someone else recommended a red dot to help rack and I think that was really good advice.

Now since this is NES the obvious answer is a 454 casull in the shortest barrel you can find.

CZ P series for best factory triggers, very easy slides, and very easy on the wallet.
My mom (78 y/o) can't rack the slide on my CZ P01 dur to her arthritic hands. She loves the trigger in SA, but the slide is too hard to rack. Same for my 77 y/o father.

I agree with those who have brought up the Shirld EZ. Mom likes hers (9mm), Dad wants to trade his 9mm Shield for a Shield EZ in 5.7.

Biggest, most noticable differences between Shield and Shield EZ:
-EZ has a lighter slide spring
-EZ has tabs (for lack of a better term) on the back of the slide to give you more purchase/ make racking the slide easier.
-EZ mags have that tab on the magazine follower to make loading the mags significantly easier.

Last edited:

I like the idea of a laser mount, I know the shield can come that way from the factory. Assuming others can as well, or easy add on.
They make a couple P365 variants with built in compensators that help to control recoil. I swear it’s like having a small, lightweight pistol that handles like a full size. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

The Springfield Hellcat is very nicely built and tiny for 10+1, 11+1 or 17+1 if you want the long stick. Fairly easy to rack, and if you have an optic on it, just rack the optic if you really can't do the slide.
If the op has hand strength issues the trigger could cause some grief

Both mine had a nice trigger but they were heavy like 8lbs

Op get a macro comp legion

They make a couple P365 variants with built in compensators that help to control recoil. I swear it’s like having a small, lightweight pistol that handles like a full size. Can’t recommend it highly enough.
Supposedly the metal one is better

I second this although def rack the one you're buying in the store op

One of mine was really hard to rack.. and i don't have your issues

Old guy. Bad shoulder and bad arthritis on right hand index finger. And other stuff like lack of disc in neck. The list goes on...Makes it hard to hold anything up high (putting a gallon of milk on the top shelf of the fridge is barely possible these days), put weight on index finger (think picking up frying pan, or even opening closed jar). So what I can use well is probably limited.

Looking for a new handgun in 9mm. Not restricted by MA laws. Currently have M&P and Shield. Not thrilled w M&P. Thinking I need something more shield sized, the lighter the gun, the better for my shoulder. The easier to pull slide and trigger, the easier on my index finger. Don't know anything about the new SW equalizer. Don't want SA/DA from Sig, I have that in their 22 and though I love that pistol (hate that I need to buy the expensive ammo), don't want that in my 9mm.

So looking for recs, thoughts, experiences from others who have shot a wide variety of 9mm. Thanks.
Personal experience most of the Canik line is amazing and the recoil on the full size models is virtually non existent for a pistol. I personally shoot the Canik TP9SFX as my preferred choice and also the Canik Rival which is virtually the same gun with a few fancy bits attached. I'd highly reccomend both from a recoil perspective but they are full size. Also they come with a "charging handle" which may look a bit dumb but if you use it they definitely help with racking the gun. They are both modeled on the Walther PPQ from memory so that would sit in the same line I would imagine.

If you were looking for a concealed carry the recoil may become a bit trickier with the shorter barrel. I have a P365 that is a great little gun but even with the "compensator" feature it is still got a bit of a muzzle flip to it. This could be down to me having massive hands though. The Sig 229 is a great gun as well in the mid size category but is pricey.

Personally Canik for the price point and function given your shoulder issues could be a good call. If money is no object though and you don't care about a full size pistol CZ Shadow all day. One of the nicer guns I've shot recently and it's probably the fattest shooting I've shot in a while. The slide can be a little on the stiff side to start with.

My mom (78 y/o) can't rack the slide on my CZ P01 dur to her arthritic hands. She loves the trigger in SA, but the slide is too hard to rack. Same for my 77 y/o father.

I agree with those who have brought up the Shirld EZ. Mom likes hers (9mm), Dad wants to trade his 9mm Shield for a Shield EZ in 5.7.

Biggest, most noticable differences between Shield and Shield EZ:
-EZ has a lighter slide spring
-EZ has tabs (for lack of a better term) on the back of the slide to give you more purchase/ make racking the slide easier.
-EZ mags have that tab on the magazine follower to make loading the mags significantly easier.
Performance center model has a more pronounced grip safety too. Bobs Gun & Archery only sells the performance center models because of all the upgrades from the standard.

It may also be time to get more proficient shooting with your left hand if that's stronger. It won't make racking the slide easier, but things like red dots can help there, as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom