• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide on new 9mm handgun

consider 'beretta px4 series
2nd'ed . I own one in 45. 9mm are a dream to shoot supposedly.
Arex Delta M Gen 2 - G19 sized but slimmer and lighter, 15 & 17 round capacity, serialized modular FCU, optics ready, not Turkish, made in Slovenia.View attachment 827323
2nd'ed again. I have one as well.

Maybe a usp with a Lem trigger setup

Also if you have a current gun, look up arachnagrip. Talon grips recently bought them out.
My mom 73, had issues with racking her smith m&p.
I put the arachnagrip on there and after she could rack it without issue

BTW, appreciate all the replies. I have a MA compliant Shield. I guess that just means the trigger pull is higher than what I can get now that I am not in MA. But can anyone tell me the difference between OG shield and EZ version?

I like the idea of a laser mount, I know the shield can come that way from the factory. Assuming others can as well, or easy add on.
I was messing with my Gen 1 shield last night, and I was like damn you're right, this thing is very hard to rack, comparatively speaking.
SW fixed their own problem and started a new line with the EZ's.
Buddy of mine and I are looking for his wife and it seems to be the current trend: Slides that are much easier to rack as a feature/selling point.
Not sure if it was always this way.

Personal experience most of the Canik line is amazing and the recoil on the full size models is virtually non existent for a pistol. I personally shoot the Canik TP9SFX as my preferred choice and also the Canik Rival which is virtually the same gun with a few fancy bits attached. I'd highly reccomend both from a recoil perspective but they are full size. Also they come with a "charging handle" which may look a bit dumb but if you use it they definitely help with racking the gun. They are both modeled on the Walther PPQ from memory so that would sit in the same line I would imagine.

If you were looking for a concealed carry the recoil may become a bit trickier with the shorter barrel. I have a P365 that is a great little gun but even with the "compensator" feature it is still got a bit of a muzzle flip to it. This could be down to me having massive hands though. The Sig 229 is a great gun as well in the mid size category but is pricey.

Personally Canik for the price point and function given your shoulder issues could be a good call. If money is no object though and you don't care about a full size pistol CZ Shadow all day. One of the nicer guns I've shot recently and it's probably the fattest shooting I've shot in a while. The slide can be a little on the stiff side to start with.
I disagree on the rival...i find it far too snappy for a full size target gun...when compared to the mete and the sfx wouldnt recommend

Beretta px4 is DA/SA which I am a bit concerned about though I have always heard great things about Beretta. It is about 4 oz heavier than Sig 365 and Shield however. From specs, I am very interested in the Kahr, as it is almost 7 oz less than both Sig and Shield. I think this will be a great help in regards to my rotator. I don't know what strength is to rack it though. Going to try to find a shop/range where I can try these.

Beretta px4 is DA/SA which I am a bit concerned about though I have always heard great things about Beretta. It is about 4 oz heavier than Sig 365 and Shield however. From specs, I am very interested in the Kahr, as it is almost 7 oz less than both Sig and Shield. I think this will be a great help in regards to my rotator. I don't know what strength is to rack it though. Going to try to find a shop/range where I can try these.
Just get a langdon tactical trigger job in a bag.
Sorts it all out.

Thanks. I used live in MA and needed to buy special model that had certain trigger pressure and no more than 10 round mag. Maybe that isn't the case anymore..

Do you have specific models in mind on the Kahr? Looking on the website I see quite a variety of their value or premium, each has a few models. Assuming I want all polymer for lightness?

They have the mag restrictions.

But there is no restrictions for the handguns, you can own whichever handgun you want.

The only restrictions is what a dealer can transfer NEW.

Kahr CM9 or PM9. Awesome concealment. They were making these guns before small CCW were cool.

2 things working against me. Partially torn rotator and biceps tendon plus the arthritis. Shoulder issue is directly related to the weight of the gun. I can carry a gallon of milk with my arm down wo issue. It is only as I start to raise that weight. No problem until it gets mid chest. At shoulder height, there is no strength and all pain. So the lighter the gun, the easier it will be hold. I think I can try different guns and different ways to rack, When I lived in MA, I had trigger pressure modified by a gunsmith, but still looking for something that requires an easy short pull. As they say, 'sucks to get old'.
Ding, ding, ding! Similar issues.

Take a look at the Sig Macro. For MA, you get regular 10rd P365 mags and put a baseplate on them to fit. The compensator does make a difference. The grip is slightly shorter than the Glock 43X/48, but feels better (IMHO). Decent texture, slimmer grip. I believe the slide is fairly easy to rack, compared to some others. Kahrs have heavy trigger pulls (think DA revolver) and the slides are hard to rack.

Mrs. LTC has both a 9mm Ruger and a S&W .380 EZ. She likes both. However she bought the .380 because of shoulder issues. Better shot with the .380 than the 9mm. I find I carry her 9 more than my .45. I like it. Not much kick back. Pretty accurate.

Old guy. Bad shoulder and bad arthritis on right hand index finger. And other stuff like lack of disc in neck. The list goes on...Makes it hard to hold anything up high (putting a gallon of milk on the top shelf of the fridge is barely possible these days), put weight on index finger (think picking up frying pan, or even opening closed jar). So what I can use well is probably limited.

Looking for a new handgun in 9mm. Not restricted by MA laws. Currently have M&P and Shield. Not thrilled w M&P. Thinking I need something more shield sized, the lighter the gun, the better for my shoulder. The easier to pull slide and trigger, the easier on my index finger. Don't know anything about the new SW equalizer. Don't want SA/DA from Sig, I have that in their 22 and though I love that pistol (hate that I need to buy the expensive ammo), don't want that in my 9mm.

How about the Ruger LCR9? There is nothing to rack, and trigger pull is allegedly pretty decent, plus it is fairly light in weight.

Edited to add:
Also, the Kahr is one of the lighter or lightest tiny 9mm's, but racking might not be ideal. Need to weigh or balance your needs, pardon the pun.
Also like the idea of the ported Glock 19, but not sure how the whole downsized spring thing works. I mean, I understand the concept, but have not looked into this. That said, there is a deal in the "steals and deals" thread, 62 bucks for a complete frame, you just need to find that slide referenced earlier: Polymer80 - PFC9 Serialized Compact Pistol Frame - Black

Last edited:
If you're going to have difficulty raising a firearm to eye height in order to be able to use traditional sights, or even a RDS, due to your shoulder issue, then perhaps you should consider getting a gun on which you can mount a laser...or laser grip. That way, you don't need to raise the gun too high in order to take aim.

Frank
Im not old or arthritic but the ez with laser grip is the right choice for my edcc. I carry it in a fanny pack too which makes me even more of an old fuddyduddy, but no shame

Attachments

• 20231218_221329.jpg
    20231218_221329.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 8
We've got a Walther CCP, which is extremely easy to manipulate. There's a newer version out now, the CCP M2+. I suggest taking a look at one.

We've got a Walther CCP, which is extremely easy to manipulate. There's a newer version out now, the CCP M2+. I suggest taking a look at one.
I know someone who has or had a Walther PPS and really liked it. Is this new one at all related to, or based off that?

I know someone who has or had a Walther PPS and really liked it. Is this new one at all related to, or based off that?
The CCP is quite a bit different. It's a bit more of a PITA to field strip for cleaning, but extremely low effort to rack slide, and recoil is mitigated.

Last edited:
I disagree on the rival...i find it far too snappy for a full size target gun...when compared to the mete and the sfx wouldnt recommend
Absolutely fair to have a different opinion. It's so subjective when talking about a pistol as different people will have different views. I will say though the SFX is still my favorite of the line.

I'm going to end this thread right here:

Go to a range that rents guns. Rent as many guns as you can afford/want.
The gun for 'you' will do a couple of things:
It will just 'feel' right.
With your eyes closed (with a safe weapon), grip the gun and bring it up into firing position. If it is reasonably on target naturally, add that one to the list. *
Repeat to your satisfaction.
Look at your list, pick the one you want for either esthetics, price, prestige.

* If it's not reasonably on target, you're going to have to spend some time changing your current shooting technique. Are you willing to pay someone to fix you? You can't fix yourself, you can only band aid yourself.

I'm going to end this thread right here:

Go to a range that rents guns. Rent as many guns as you can afford/want.
The gun for 'you' will do a couple of things:
It will just 'feel' right.
With your eyes closed (with a safe weapon), grip the gun and bring it up into firing position. If it is reasonably on target naturally, add that one to the list. *
Repeat to your satisfaction.
Look at your list, pick the one you want for either esthetics, price, prestige.

* If it's not reasonably on target, you're going to have to spend some time changing your current shooting technique. Are you willing to pay someone to fix you? You can't fix yourself, you can only band aid yourself.
Boooooooo

We don't want logic we want funny gun shop opinions and gun bunnies holding overly modded glocks

Have you tried a charging ring or handle on your Shield? Either one may help with your racking as you just pull and slingshot the slide and seeing as you're looking for a shield size pistol while owning a shield.

Ring

Handle

If racking the slide is a problem, you might consider an auto with a tip up barrel or a revolver. If you decide on a very light weight handgun, you might want to consider a 22 so the recoil won't be painful.

Any rimfire revolver is going to have a very heavy double and single action pull weight. It's needed to ensure the rimfire ammo goes off. I discovered this years ago when I was trying to find something for my fiancee to shoot (severe arthritis, even then).

Any rimfire revolver is going to have a very heavy double and single action pull weight. It's needed to ensure the rimfire ammo goes off. I discovered this years ago when I was trying to find something for my fiancee to shoot (severe arthritis, even then).
Interesting

Back
Top Bottom