• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me learn to love .22

This looks like a lot of fun...

That looks nice. How is the trigger on those? ... looks like it has a long pull.

I just can’t seem to fall in love with .22…
I always buy a brick when I see it, and I was buying bricks almost weekly for almost 15 years.
My father did the same thing and when he passed away I inherited his stash of .22
Needless to say I have plenty .22, and trust me it’s a hard thing to admit you have enough of one caliber lol.
I have plenty of .22 firearms
Started with one 10/22 and somehow now I have 3…
I’m thinking I may SBR one of the 10/22s at the chance I may enjoy shooting it again lol

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?

Some SBR10/22 I found online and it got my gears turning

It basically sucks.

But it's fun for plinking. Or if you have a glerk, a G44 is a great training tool to practice live fire draws and fire on the cheap.

Cheap ammo is inconsistent and makes shooting frustrating, avoid shooting the cheapest of ammo

I constantly take my cz455 out to 100yds+ plus and it’s more fun at that distance than a centerfire precision rifle because it’s a challenge.

Cheap ammo is inconsistent and makes shooting frustrating, avoid shooting the cheapest of ammo

I constantly take my cz455 out to 100yds+ plus and it’s more fun at that distance than a centerfire precision rifle because it’s a challenge.
I’m not frustrated with 22. I just get bored quickly with the caliber
I have quite a little bit of land. We do some amateur farming the caliber certainly serves a purpose around here..
But I basically pull them out once a year. Make sure they shoot on target and then put them right back where I got them.

Ironically, after owning guns for more than 30 years, I finally bought myself a 10/22 last year, and it’s now one of my favorite guns to bring to the range. I outfitted it with a set of tech sights, and it’s a blast picking off cans at 50 yards or pinging the steel at 100. It’s not a bench rifle, I use it purely for offhand plinking, and it brings me joy every time I shoot it. Like a .22 M1 carbine.

I also have a .22 bench rifle, a Savage Mark II in a heavy bench stock with a 10oz trigger. I shoot that rifle for sub moa groups at 100 yards, and lollipops at 50, know your limits at 50.

The most fun .22 I ever owned was an MP5 in .22. Should have never sold that one. My son nicknamed her “Yippee Kai Yay”. I have my M&P 15-22 set up just like her big brother, for cheap training. It’s great for moving and shooting exercises, where I am working quick sight acquisition and trigger control. I can shoot hundreds of rounds of .22 for the price of a standard mag of 5.56. When I am focusing on putting accurate hits on a target while walking towards it, or moving from cover to cover, I don't care how big the boom is.

On the pistol front, a .22 is great for focusing on the fundamentals. Get your groups tighter and tighter…work out the flinch…focus on the front sight. Over and over again, because the ammo is almost free! .22 pistols are also fun to compete with. Find a club that shoots bowling pin top matches, and tell me you hate .22. Trying to clear all those tops off the board is fun as heck, and more challenging than you’d think.

I guess I said all that to say, shoot any caliber enough, standing still at static targets, and it becomes boring. Adding a little challenge and/or competition into the mix brings in the fun!

Last edited:
I’m not frustrated with 22. I just get bored quickly with the caliber
I have quite a little bit of land. We do some amateur farming the caliber certainly serves a purpose around here..
But I basically pull them out once a year. Make sure they shoot on target and then put them right back where I got them.
Fair, I used to put mine away quick when I would get frustrated with consistency shooting.

Reactive targets, and ‘long’ distance shots make them fun for me, the club I’m a member of essentially has an adult carnival shooting gallery for 22LR only which can make shooting pistol or off hand fun. I’ll go out there with my son and compete on shooting targets whether it’s time or number of shots to knock down a number of targets

The bolt action I take and setup 1”, 2”, 3” gongs out past 100yds, the challenge of hitting them at that distance makes it more fun

Don’t get my wrong, I definitely don’t take out my 22LR as much as other, but considering it’s probably 10% of what I have, I take it out more than 10% of the time, even if it’s just to put a few magazines through something

I don't get bored with .22, there's so many different kinds of it to try in so many guns it could last me a lifetime to find what shoots what best.

It was just last year I tried a hyper velocity ammo I've never tried before in Aguila Interceptor. The price was maybe a buck more than Velocitor and Velocitor is good stuff, and roughly double Winchester Hyper Speed. I've chrono'd everything, the Winchester was 50 fps faster than Velocitor, but IDK how the hollow point does, but even if it doesn't expand a 40gr bullet going 50 fps faster is still better, so I never bothered trying that Aguila load until at some point the lightbulb went off and I figured since most .22 LR doesn't expand from handguns to find a hyper velocity load that uses a solid bullet.

I'm glad I did, that Aguila was 100 fps faster than the CCI Velocitor. How many years went by that I didn't know and nobody ever cared to test and report.

Then I have the Ruger Charger, it's a $300 .22 that shoots sub-MOA with CCI Standard Velocity.

You can't love .22 unless you love going on unexpected adventures.

You can't love .22 unless you love going on unexpected adventures.
I love this!

There’s nothing quite like shooting a .22 standard velocity at 200 yards when the light is just right and there’s a delay between when you pull the trigger and impact, and you can see the bullet descend into the target through your scope.

Love for the .22. AS others said, brings me back to my youth, every time. Shooting Dad's Hi-standard, or my first ever firearm, a marlin model 60 semi-auto. And you can still find great deals on old, quality bolt action rifles like Marlins, Remington's, Mossberg, and any of the made-for-store rifles (Sears, Western auto etc) typically made by Savage/Stevens. Find and old click-clack .22 rifle and you will have a fantastic training rifle. That rifle can help you train up on trigger press/release!

Fun, cheap(er), and less expensive starter guns to begin with. Most of my range trips still involve a warm up with a .22 pistol. Grip, stance, sight picture, trigger press, a great warm up and fundamentals gun.

The new Sig P322, the Taurus, glock and others are great "training" .22's. My sig P322 has been great so far, accurate and what I like the best is the commonality in controls and function with P320's. You can train with this and progress folks/kids to the P320 platform. Glock and Taurus do the same with their trainers.

Is ammo quality less than stellar? I say so, but the failure to fire rounds also instill some training value. Tap/Rack and move on and that transistions well to the full power pistols. I keep building my stash of .22 but I really like getting old bricks of quality stuff once in a while when friends and neighbors are cleaning out etc.

22's are great for introducing people to shooting.

I have a S&W 617 (revolver) that I start people with. The revolving cylinder is almost self-explanatory and coupled with the visible hammer makes it easy to explain "how a gun works". After that I transition to a buckmark and the explanation of how a semi-auto works follows from the revolver. It's the same thing, only different.

If they want to try a rifle, I do pretty much the same thing. Start with a bolt-action, then hand them a 10/22.

After those, most people are comfortable trying out a .38 revolver and one of my 9mm semis.

BUT- ASIDE FROM THAT -

22's are just plain FUN.

I have a couple Buckmarks, one with a dot, one with irons. I shoot them both in steel challenge, and whenever I get the chance - at bowling pin heads. Reactive targets with 22's are a hoot.

I picked up a G19 not too long ago, and followed it with a G44. Same form factor, but 9mm .vs. .22. Shooting a plate rack with the 44 is insanely fun, and somewhat challenging. Great practice, fun and cheap.

Do you shoot paper or steel with your 22s?

Both however I love punching holes in paper. Nothing better than shooting in Greater Boston Pistol League and Eastern MA Smallbore league.

A friend of mine has a a 10/22 with a binary trigger. It is a lot of fun to shoot. Put out some plastic bottles and cans at 50 to 100 yards and add some of the 22 tannerite targets and you can have a lot of fun.

When I was a kid my brother and I would spend hours roaming along the Missouri river with 22s shooting. We had old Sears 22 rifles that would shoot 22 shorts. I still have mine down in the safe.

Glock 44 is my favorite pistol I own. 10/10 recommend getting one.

I’m thinking of getting a .22 pistol so my kids can shoot pistols at my club (.22 only under 18). I had a Walther PPQ .22 but sold it a while ago. They’d probably prefer a Glock cause video games. 😂

I just can’t seem to fall in love with .22…
I always buy a brick when I see it, and I was buying bricks almost weekly for almost 15 years.
My father did the same thing and when he passed away I inherited his stash of .22
Needless to say I have plenty .22, and trust me it’s a hard thing to admit you have enough of one caliber lol.
I have plenty of .22 firearms
Started with one 10/22 and somehow now I have 3…
I’m thinking I may SBR one of the 10/22s at the chance I may enjoy shooting it again lol

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?

Some SBR10/22 I found online and it got my gears turning

I think .30-06 is around a dollar a round? Buy a box of that when you buy the next brick of .22. You'll definitely feel better.

I think .30-06 is around a dollar a round? Buy a box of that when you buy the next brick of .22. You'll definitely feel better.
Yeah I’m a sucker for 5.56 and every time I break out the M1A it’s tough not to blow $100 of .308 with it
I do hand load, and have a quite healthy stock from “buying cheap and stacking deep” When cheap surplus/pull-down components were a thing
so 30-06 .308 etc isn’t as painful as it could be
I think I’m gonna get a .22 conversion for my ARs to slow down the bleeding of dumping mags of 5.56 and put one of my 10/22s in a nomad stock just cause I have a pile of preban 25 rounders kicking around.
Should be fun at my buds pit after I make some type of target gallery for it
Appreciate everyone’s input, keep this going share the .22 love it’s infectious!

I love shooting .22. Shooting anything at paper gets boring quick. I have a lot of reactive targets on my range for just .22 and they are cheap! Shooting eggs with .22 is a blast (better than clay pigeons). I was given a bunch of old 410 and 16 gauge shotgun shells that got wet. We set those up in old rotten stumps on the range, those are fun (most of them still go off at least somewhat). Granted, it is much easier to do this on a private range, I would imagine most commercial/public ranges wouldn't allow any of it.

I'm the exact opposite of some here who get bored with paper.
I can shoot at a steel plate, and hit it. Hear the ding. Tee Hee, giggle, but I don't really know how good of a shot that was.

Now, when every shot is quantified with a numeric value, it gets interesting. "Can I shoot a 90 today/tonight?", or "Ooh! A 95! That's my best target to date! I bet I can shoot a 100. Let's try"

Attachments

• 20240112_182646.jpg
    20240112_182646.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 15
I'm the exact opposite of some here who get bored with paper.
I can shoot at a steel plate, and hit it. Hear the ding. Tee Hee, giggle, but I don't really know how good of a shot that was.

Now, when every shot is quantified with a numeric value, it gets interesting. "Can I shoot a 90 today/tonight?", or "Ooh! A 95! That's my best target to date! I bet I can shoot a 100. Let's try"
Also another avenue i need to pursue… being social

No. That's way over rated.
I had fun shooting CMP with the old timers when I was at Hanson, I’d run my M1A or AR and do the course of fire prescribed.
Mainly trying to better myself but, it was always cool chatting between rounds or after the shoot I learned so much.

I’m thinking of getting a .22 pistol so my kids can shoot pistols at my club (.22 only under 18). I had a Walther PPQ .22 but sold it a while ago. They’d probably prefer a Glock cause video games. 😂
22/45

Just replace the trigger with a TK trigger. Easy and cheap.

If you don't want to replace the trigger, go Buckmark. I just hate cleaning the Buckmark, but it is so accurate.

1709583300995.png

We use between 300 and 500 rounds in a weekend. We can help you work through your stash! Of course the history and the training is just a bonus. haha

Jokes aside, I love shooting my .22s. I didn't in the beginning when I first got into firearms. But since I attended my first Appleseed event, That's primarily what I shoot. I started to dabble in PRS22 last year, but family events side tracked that.

Last edited:
Wow time for a new club. My son was shooting 357 mag out of a snub when he was 12 and m1 garands and shooting trap with 12 gauges when he was 13.

I'd never want to give my membership money to a club with a bod that's gonna tell me what's good or not good for my kids.

22/45

Just replace the trigger with a TK trigger. Easy and cheap.

If you don't want to replace the trigger, go Buckmark. I just hate cleaning the Buckmark, but it is so accurate.
That browning is a pain in the balls to clean. The Ruger sees much more shooting time

I have an old Winchester .22 lever but the chamber is cracked it’s a wall hanger also have a 30/30, another lever is definitely on my radar but in a pistol caliber, maybe room for 2 more

Also timing it with the craptastic gun bill in the works and for now am prioritizing “protest buys” and adding to my EBR collection hoping I can further my lever collection after it passes (and am fishing making expendable money)
Can’t believe the mental gymnastics I gotta go though to be a free citizen
The key to a fun .22 is having it be accurate. So most of my .22s are biased towards that.

If you want a lever gun, get a Henry small game rifle or carbine. It comes with a Skinner peep sight. This makes the gun much easier to shoot accurately.

1709645492392.png

I've recently started learning skills and acquiring hardware to participate in Rimfire PRS. This is like regular "practical rifle" matches except it's done with a .22. The beauty of this is if you enjoy shooting a centerfire at long range, where you need to work things like wind drift, density altitude, etc into your firing solution, you can do it at much shorter ranges with a .22.

I'll find a photo of the Bergara based bolt gun I'm planning to use in PRS rimfire. The action was about $600, the chassis about $500 and the optic is a Nikon I had already that cost about $500.

At 200 yards, a 6.5 Creedmoor is a laser. At 200 yards a .22 LR is flying a big arcing trajectory and is very subject to wind drift.

This is me shooting 180 yards on my land in NH using a Kidd 10/22 Supergrade ( coolguyguns.com ) with CCI standard velocity.

1709645893648.jpeg

You were unclear in your title so I will interpret the way I like. 22 WMR is AWESOME and you should buy every gun you can find in that caliber. Any pistol/revolver or barrel under like 10" and you will get fireballs. With 30gr bullets and a 16" barrel you can see 2300 ft/s in velocity. Oh, and it likely penetrates level 3 armor at that velocity.

You were unclear in your title so I will interpret the way I like. 22 WMR is AWESOME and you should buy every gun you can find in that caliber. Any pistol/revolver or barrel under like 10" and you will get fireballs. With 30gr bullets and a 16" barrel you can see 2300 ft/s in velocity. Oh, and it likely penetrates level 3 armor at that velocity.
You have one of those Grendel pistols that shoot 22wmr? Are they worth having? I saw one on a shop a few days ago for not too much money. I remember when they came out in the 90's.

You have one of those Grendel pistols that shoot 22wmr? Are they worth having? I saw one on a shop a few days ago for not too much money. I remember when they came out in the 90's.
I have about 40 22 WMR guns but not a grendel pistol. PTR 30 makes some of the best fireballs and holds 30 rounds :)

Back
Top Bottom