• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking Answers to Help a Friend

What are the laws in NH? Can they just bring them up there and store them until the guy gets his license?

Whomever takes these firearms in is going to be involved in a bad situation that could get worse easily. I would only hold firearms for friends that I trust. LenS suggestions seems like the best course.

OK,so the OP knows where the guns are,and that they are illegaliy stored,and possessed .Knowing that info,and not reporting it could that not fall under an accessory after the fact.Not to mention that he stating all over the forum that he knows about it.We will all chip in, and send you a soap on a rope.

I originally posted a sarcastic response to this that most likely would have been misconstrued, so I yanked it.
Proving the elements of the accessory after the fact charge would be extremely difficult in this particular scenario.

Last edited:
Silly as it sounds. Gun buyback might be the best option. No questions asked.

Or he gets licensed.

An aquaintance wanted me to hold onto a Desert Eagle his brother gave him in Florida. I laughed and said eff yourself. Figured he was only joking but didn't want to know for sure.

Gicen her concern for the safety of her children, I'd recommend gun locks, first and foremost. Most PDs give them out for free, if I'm not mistaken; alternatively, Amazon Prime next day shipping.

Communication needs to happen between the couple. If things are so bad that that's not even an option, well... don't know what to tell you.

The best thing we can do is not get involved. How many times do we hear that someone is dangerous and they must be 'dealt with' and it turns out another legal gun owner is dragged through the mud. The only thing I see wrong here is he's not storing the guns appropriately and in a secure manner. IIRC it's not illegal to own and possess firearms within one's home. It's when you take it out that requires that you be licensed. I may be oversimplifying this but it seems that we (our society) stick our nose in where it doesn't belong quite often.

It's a sad situation when a husband and wife don't trust each other. The wife is in little to no danger of prosecution if the husband gets caught. The husband should get an LTC, the wife should get a chill pill.

If the wife reports the husband, she ruins his life, and likely significantly disadvantages her children going into the future.

I would leave the cops out of it. Sounds like a divorce in the future, that's hard enough on kids. Dad in jail will be worse and helps nobody.
I would at least get one of the Sentry lock boxes from Home Depot for around $25 and lock them up for now. Call an FFL in NH and see if they will buy them. Have someone with a MA LTC take them over the border and hand the box back to her. Let her go to the FFL alone so the MA LTC holder is not connected in any way to the sale.
Just my opinion and I might be wrong.

Minimum mandatory 1yr in the house of corrections. She could call a dealer that does estate's and have them (for a fee) come out and take the guns for safekeeping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

For starters I would go to Dicks or Bass Pro and buy an inexpensive locking cabinet.

That way you can start sorting out the other stuff without worrying about storage.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Minimum mandatory 1yr in the house of corrections. She could call a dealer that does estate's and have them (for a fee) come out and take the guns for safekeeping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I thought the max penalty was 2 years, misdemeanor with no minimum.
Chapter 269 Section 10 (h) [COLOR=#444444][FONT=Verdana](h)(1) said:
Whoever owns, possesses or transfers a firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition without complying with the provisions of section 129C of chapter 140 shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $500. Whoever commits a second or subsequent violation of this paragraph shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or both. Any officer authorized to make arrests may arrest without a warrant any person whom the officer has probable cause to believe has violated this paragraph.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

not sure at this time.

Looking for a short term resolution, to comply legally. Obviously 6-8 weeks waiting for an LTC doesn't help in the near future.

My advice was to find a licensed friend able to store them for a couple of months.

Second thought was to call lawyer first thing in the AM.

3rd thought was to ask NES, FWIW.

and yes, it does sound like a complete shitshow.

he obtained them illegally do we even know if they are stolen or not.

OP, this is a no-win situation for you.

If you take possession of the guns, and hubby finds they're missing, it's probably going to lead to a confrontation between wife and husband...which will probably lead to a confrontation with you when hubby wants his property back. Yes, he is violating MA law by possessing that property, but that probably doesn't matter to him. What will matter is that you have his stuff and his wife "betrayed" him by giving his stuff away.

You said that the marriage is already disintegrating, so I'm guessing that there's not a whole lot of calm discussion going on between the two of them. Is the wife at the point where she's willing to separate herself and the kids from him? If she invites the government into things, that's precisely what's going to happen. That will certainly solve the problem with the guns, but it's going to open up a whole new set of problems, financial and otherwise.

Are you friendly enough with the husband to engage him in a conversation about the guns and suggest the possible ways he could resolve the gun situation? That's about all you can do at this point, and even then, I'd tread very carefully.

EMT*:

Google the name "Gregory Girard", then send a parting text to your friend suggesting they both get gun locks and LTC's and to let you know in a year or two how things worked out.

Things may or may not be exactly as they appear.

try to stay on topic here folks... :)

so it seems like best option is to buy cheaper locking cabinet (ie, Stack-On) NOW, and get LTCs ASAP.

Deal with marital issues later.

Not only do I agree with the previous advice to stay out of this deal, I have a little more advice.

Stop talking to other guys' wives without their knowledge. This will lead to bad things. If other guys wives are talking to you, they are unhappy in their marriage and are looking for either an affair or a life raft.

I dont know if you're married or just a dad at this point. My first thought when I read this thread was that you're already sleeping with her. But I'll cut you some slack. As men, we can and will be tempted. And if tempted often enough, we can cave. I advise to remove that temptation.

Mathis marriage is already over if it even crossed her mind to call the police on her husband. That guy needs to get out now before something bad happens to him.

he obtained them illegally do we even know if they are stolen or not.

Not only do I agree with the previous advice to stay out of this deal, I have a little more advice.

Stop talking to other guys' wives without their knowledge. This will lead to bad things. If other guys wives are talking to you, they are unhappy in their marriage and are looking for either an affair or a life raft.

I dont know if you're married or just a dad at this point. My first thought when I read this thread was that you're already sleeping with her. But I'll cut you some slack. As men, we can and will be tempted. And if tempted often enough, we can cave. I advise to remove that temptation.

Mathis marriage is already over if it even crossed her mind to call the police on her husband. That guy needs to get out now before something bad happens to him.

People need to read what is written.

1. The guns were legally bought before the family moved into MA.

2. EMTDAD is not talking to another man's wife directly - his WIFE started this conversation. Damn folks.

She wants to know if she can call the police and tell them about the firearms or is she going to be in trouble as well, since they are in her house.
That sound like such an enormously stupid, bad, awful idea to me. Even if she doesn't get in trouble, which I would bet she wouldn't, guaranteed her husband will be in a lot of trouble.

Friend's marriage is crumbling. I'm not sure she fears for her safety as far as domestic violence, but she definitely fears the penalties associated with illegal possession and improper storage here in MA. She probably also fears for her kids with the lack of proper storage. This woman has no firearms training. We're trying to figure out what her options are, within the legal framework of MA.

Even if they end up getting divorced later does she hate this guy bad enough to send him to prison? Does she want his life pretty much ruined? Does she want her kids to visit their dad in jail? Does she want her kids to know their dad is in jail because mom called the police on them?

In the very short term they should get a bunch of cable locks and secure them. Maybe a locker/safe. Or better yet get them out the house to a dealer. If they keep their mouths shut and just get an LTC, chances are there will never be any issues.

The only thing I would recommend you do is to take the mom and provide some lessons in gun safety and how to safely store the firearms.
My guess is that the husband was being "sneaky" with the guns because he probably knew or suspected she had a slight case of hoplophobia. Or he could just be an idiot (which sounds likely since he did not think to get an LTC by this point). Or both. You are in a good position now to teach her a little about gun safety and show her there is nothing to be afraid of.

And as others have said, definitely do not take the guns for/from them.... If they have any ammo though - definitely offer/demand to take that [wink]. Seriously though, having unsecured guns and ammo laying around people who don't know anything about gun safety is not good.

Last edited:

What the heck are you talking about?

Anyways, we're all entitled to our opinion on this situation but to me, my concern are the improperly stored weapons. Regardless of the marital situation, when kids are nearby there is no excuse for this. She should at least obtain trigger guards or cable the breech....maybe the OP can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom