Most overrated handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to make an educated opinion living in Ma because the price of firearms is a deciding factor and a gun here is disproportionately higher then free states.

Beretta M9

EDIT: I see a few people beat me to it.... Let me expand:

1. External safety (aka "lameness lever")
2. Open slide / crude magnet (seriously - WTF?)
3. Shitty caliber for a "combat" gun. (9mm FMJ? Please....)
4. Only won over the Sig because it was cheaper ("Good enough" never is)
5. Italian ('nuff said)

I'm going to guess it has something to do with being an idiot who read an article in Soldier of Fortune or SWAT once, and feels that having read that article makes him an expert on the internet.

I actually carried and trained with one in the Marines. I was never a fan.

Last edited:
So, in summary, they're all overrated.

I'm starting to think so, jeepers creepers.

drgrant - What semi auto's do you feel are great pistols? I'm just wondering; I have some free time through the day and I'd like to look into them. Thanks.

How about the Wildey .475 magnum . . . [rolleyes]

wildey.jpg

I would say the most over rated pistol is the UZI. Not really so much on it's design, cost, or function but because of the fear and hype and damage that it's reputation has done to gun ownership. Take away the spray and pray videos. Take away the videos of flying brass. Take away the brrrrrrrrap that sounds like a turbo charged vibrator. Take away the gold toothed thugs shooting each other silly from low slung Caddy's and we probably would have never had an assault weapon ban passed in this country or in Massachusetts. The fear of those over rated pieces of crap in my opinion makes them the worst pistol ever.

I'll go with SIG on that too - and I own two with more to come [laugh]

Any gun that gives you bumper stickers with it when you buy is over rated!

I would say the most over rated pistol is the UZI. Not really so much on it's design, cost, or function but because of the fear and hype and damage that it's reputation has done to gun ownership. Take away the spray and pray videos. Take away the videos of flying brass. Take away the brrrrrrrrap that sounds like a turbo charged vibrator. Take away the gold toothed thugs shooting each other silly from low slung Caddy's and we probably would have never had an assault weapon ban passed in this country or in Massachusetts. The fear of those over rated pieces of crap in my opinion makes them the worst pistol ever.

Do you moonlight for the Brady campaign? [thinking]

You must not know much about the AWB, either. There are a hell of a lot more guns mentioned in the AWB than just an UZI.

BTW, "UZI Pistols" as it were, are actually relatively rare. The most common ones are the semiautomatic carbine variety, or the submachinegun variety. Even in NFA land, the Micro and Mini uzis are also a lot rarer compared to its slower firing counterparts.

-Mike

How about the Wildey .475 magnum . . . [rolleyes]

wildey.jpg

I'm pretty sure Charlie Bronson carried one of these in a movie because you know, he was an actor, and did what the director told hom to do, so no, the Widley is not an overrated gun. If Charlie Bronson is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Beretta M9

EDIT: I see a few people beat me to it.... Let me expand:

1. External safety (aka "lameness lever")
2. Open slide / crude magnet (seriously - WTF?)
3. Shitty caliber for a "combat" gun. (9mm FMJ? Please....)
4. Only won over the Sig because it was cheaper ("Good enough" never is)
5. Italian ('nuff said)

I actually carried and trained with one in the Marines. I was never a fan.

I liked the gun a lot.

The Bren 10. Only because Don Johnson thought it was cool to carry in Miami Vice

How can those be overrated?
Hardly anyone ever actually fired one because they were shipped without magazines, and the promise of later getting the magazines never materialized.
BTW, Don Johnson only fired blanks from his.

It's hard to make an educated opinion living in Ma because the price of firearms is a deciding factor and a gun here is disproportionately higher then free states.

Only if money is burning a hole in your pocket so badly that it influences your purchasing decisions. You can get nearly any handgun that is possession legal in MA for a reasonable price if you are patient and willing to work a little to find it. Jumping on the first overpriced (whatever) that you see is a recipe to get screwed. Unless you know you are gonna die at the end of the week or something, patience and resourcefulness pays huge dividends in MA for a gun buyer.

I'm surprised no one said a Luger?

B

Probably because most people don't overrate them. They were always known as
old, finicky guns. Nobody ever waxes prophetic about carrying a luger, either.

I'm starting to think so, jeepers creepers.

drgrant - What semi auto's do you feel are great pistols? I'm just wondering; I have some free time through the day and I'd like to look into them. Thanks.

The semiauto that is a great pistol is the one that does what you want it to do, at the price you want it to, without pissing you off.

There are lots of good semis out there. Glocks, HKs, Springfield XDs, Sigs, Most of the better Beretta + SW products, Rugers, and even 1911s by various manufacturers.

The only brands I try to avoid as a matter of course are the junk brands like Taurus, Hi Point, and the like. Even some of the taurus semis are OK if you get lucky, but frankly if you are hard up for cash you are better off looking at a Ruger. The old ruger semis are built like brickt s**thouses and the factory backs them up pretty well for service.

-Mike

Last edited:
Oh, no doubt, Giggler needed Killin'. [laugh] I say overrated since this movie saved Wildey from going out of business, and every time the movie played on TV, they had sales spikes. So when a bunch of people buy an 18" long pistol because you saw it in a movie or on TV, it "might" be over rated. [smile] I actually know nothing about how the pistol shoots or the relative quality of Wildey products. BTW, I love those movies, they where just on TV about a month ago (all 5 of them). Watched 'em all!

No way.... [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you even have to ask the question??

GLOCK

Sights suck, grip sucks and is just a gimmick, weight is too low for accurate rapid fire shooting, crappy trigger, cheap hexagonal barrel design. Only thing they do well are the magazines and the reliability and cost.

I can't see the FN 57 as being over rated. . .as I never really seemed to be THAT highly rated. . at least not as a Self Defense gun.

What I have felt has been quite over rated is the Springfield XD. As someone who owns one I will say they aren't bad by any means. But certainly not super amazing fantastic. . I mean, , no one gave it all this acclaim as the HS2000, when it was several hundred dollars less.

I'm going to guess it has something to do with being an idiot who read an article in Soldier of Fortune or SWAT once, and feels that having read that article makes him an expert on the internet.
Gee, I guess someone likes his Beretta.
SWAT? SOF? No. Numerous first-hand reports of failures to stop bad guys in CQB, which is the main mission for a military handgun, AFAIK. As others have said, it's probably more the fault of the FMJ 9mm. ammo than the pistol itself, which I believe I said wasn't a bad piece. But I'll stand by my statement that it was a political decision and a heavier caliber would have a been better choice.

I'm gonna be more specific: the Sig P250.

Look! You can buy one serial number and build 2 guns for the price of 3 guns! Except not in MA.

(and this coming from a sig fanboy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom