Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

Yes my guitar “collection” peaked last year then I decided a couple had to go hahah

It takes a lot of time and dedication to learn how to play guitar. If you put that kind of effort into shooting you will become proficient.
If you think guitar is cool, wait to you get your hands on an AR with a 30 round magazine or fire a 44 magnum at a jug of milk.

Do personal instruction and rent some pistols at AFS. Get some training and try some. See what fits your hand 1st.

Glock 19 is a good all arounder.
I like M&P shield but in MA be prepared to spend some dollars fixing the horrid trigger.

Okay - couple questions here. I'm looking into private instruction at AFS - anyone know if they'll provide it to me even though I don't have my own gun yet? I can call tomorrow morning but I figured it can't hurt to ask as one of you may know. Ideally, this person will refresh me in the basics again, check my form, and let me shoot some guns that I'm interested in.

Second, do they have a store where I'd be able to purchase a gun that I end up liking? I can't find anything on their site about their store but I do see that they have a retail store.

Third, still looking for safe recommendations! Big enough for some documents, my handgun, ammo, etc. Thanks everyone!

They offer private instruction even if you don’t own a gun and you can rent a gun or three while taking instruction. They don’t have a store but they can order you any MA compliant gun you like for a decent price. Tuesday eve is Ladies night, ladies shoot for free and there are plenty who take advantage of that if it’s something that will make you more comfortable. I’m there a few times a week and can offer recommendation on instructors. I’m a certified instructor but do it as a hobby not a profession or side thing, not trying to drum up business but happy to take you for a shoot because that’s what someone did for me once upon a time.

They offer private instruction even if you don’t own a gun and you can rent a gun or three while taking instruction. They don’t have a store but they can order you any MA compliant gun you like for a decent price. Tuesday eve is Ladies night, ladies shoot for free and there are plenty who take advantage of that if it’s something that will make you more comfortable. I’m there a few times a week and can offer recommendation on instructors. I’m a certified instructor but do it as a hobby not a profession or side thing, not trying to drum up business but happy to take you for a shoot because that’s what someone did for me once upon a time.

Perfect - exactly what I’m hoping to do. Thank you!

Hoping to make a purchase within a couple of weeks. Primary goal right now is to grab a solid safe and get a couple of hours of instruction so I can brush up and also sample some pistols of interest. Will call AFS in the morning!

Overwhelmed by the awesome response I’ve gotten here. You guys can count on me sticking around!

I am serious about spending a lot of time reading up on the gun laws here OP. It truly scares me if you are as clueless about gun laws as you seem, to think you might be soon on the street arresting people for gun crimes without a clue.

Hoping to make a purchase within a couple of weeks. Primary goal right now is to grab a solid safe and get a couple of hours of instruction so I can brush up and also sample some pistols of interest. Will call AFS in the morning!

Overwhelmed by the awesome response I’ve gotten here. You guys can count on me sticking around!

I’ll be there Tuesday after work, if you feel like going. I can bring a few things for you to try, then you can take a formal lesson and rent some stuff too. Prob also be there Thursday after work (5:30 - 6 ish). I recommend Jon as the instructor if you’re scheduling a private instruction. Christian is excellent too but I think he’s doing consulting on his own and doesn’t do PI for AFS anymore (he does the higher level, tactical stuff).

I am serious about spending a lot of time reading up on the gun laws here OP. It truly scares me if you are as clueless about gun laws as you seem, to think you might be soon on the street arresting people for gun crimes without a clue.

Yes, because I’ll go through the academy and come out completely clueless on the other end. :rolleyes:

I got my LTC over a year ago and haven’t used it since. I was well-versed in this stuff at the time but, yes, I need to refresh. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? Consider that I’m really just starting over.

I’m here to ensure I get the proper training/refresher before even purchasing a firearm; please don’t assume I’m as ignorant as you’re insinuating. Also, please don’t be condescending. I’m not an idiot.

Yes, because I’ll go through the academy and come out completely clueless on the other end. :rolleyes:

I got my LTC over a year ago and haven’t used it since. I was well-versed in this stuff at the time but, yes, I need to refresh. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? Consider that I’m really just starting over.

I’m here to ensure I get the proper training/refresher before even purchasing a firearm; please don’t assume I’m as ignorant as you’re insinuating. Also, please don’t be condescending. I’m not an idiot.
You are taking all the right steps, and this thread was a good one to follow today, so thanks for posting. You got a lot of good advice from others today, but keep in mind you do need to have thick skin here. But you appear to have that covered. :)

Going on what others have experienced here, I think you are overestimating your post academy knowledge of gun law. You will learn many general laws and some gun law, so you will simply not know all there is to know specifically about gun laws. There are people on this board who have dedicated years to Mass gun law and still have more to learn and discuss, because much of it is ambiguous and confusing.

Your story seems a little strange and we have a ton of trolls, so I personally tend to pick apart things that feel off and usually I am right.

I hope I'm wrong with you and that you become a proficient shooter, 2A supporter, and good 'ole Officer Dibble.

Going on what others have experienced here, I think you are overestimating your post academy knowledge of gun law. You will learn many general laws and some gun law, so you will simply not know all there is to know specifically about gun laws. There are people on this board who have dedicated years to Mass gun law and still have more to learn and discuss, because much of it is ambiguous and confusing.

Your story seems a little strange and we have a ton of trolls, so I personally tend to pick apart things that feel off and usually I am right.

I hope I'm wrong with you and that you become a proficient shooter, 2A supporter, and good 'ole Officer Dibble.

Consider me a newborn. All I can do is tell you I will do my absolute best to learn everything I can so as to ensure I’m not only a law-abiding citizen but that I’m a great cop. Whatever your assumptions, I can tell you that you are wrong. But that’s a good thing.

My story? Oh we haven’t even gotten there yet. Wait til you find out who I voted for. Dun dun dunnnnnnn! Lol

Yeah... Because a vast majority of of gun arrests have to do with the insanIty that really applies to FFLs and things that we can buy. She's not going to be making arrests for someone who brings a Gen 5 Glock to the gun range. Dork. Maybe let her settle in here before you start in with NES retardation.

Thanks for the name calling Roland, I'm hurt.

Q: Who do you not take legal gun advice from NES?

A: Gun shop employees and cops.

I explained why I acted like a dick and I am apologizing again now for being rude to her.

I’m just over here still relishing in the fact that my wife finally agreed to let me purchase a gun. Lol. This was. 3+ year battle but I fought the good fight

I'll say it. If your going to become a cop, just wait till you have that badge to buy a Glock. Thres a reason they exist on the handgun roster: so cops can buy them. You wont have to pay retard MA markup either. Especially if you find a dealer with the blue label program. Get something like an M&P to start and get used to shooting. Then get a glock once your on the force.

I'll say it. If your going to become a cop, just wait till you have that badge to buy a Glock. Thres a reason they exist on the handgun roster: so cops can buy them. You wont have to pay retard MA markup either. Especially if you find a dealer with the blue label program. Get something like an M&P to start and get used to shooting. Then get a glock once your on the force.

All valid points - thanks for the input! I’ve been watching videos and reading about the P365 all day - swaying this way pending a successful try out. :)

Most of the gun stores have them. I picked up the 320c at Mass Firearms for just under $500 and they sell good range ammo for under $200 for a case (1000) rounds.
Thanks for the reply I have seen p320c and the x-five . But not the X compact. upload_2019-3-25_9-28-42.png upload_2019-3-25_9-28-42.jpeg

Step 1:Get a 9mm compact/full size sized gun from one of the major manufacturers:
Glock G19, Sig p320, S&W M&P 2.0, HK VP9 , CZ p10C/p07c. (if you are going the polymer route)
They are all good. Glock is the most boring (accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive) and therefore the best [laugh]

Step 2: Buy a case of not total garbage ammo 115gr FMJ (blazer blass, american eagle)

Step 3: Shoot half your case of ammo, and buy another case of ammo.

Step 4: Repeat

Personally I think a first gun should be a general purpose gun. I would get a gun that is simple and boringly reliable, don't overthink it.
Something you can take to the range and build confidence and skill. If you get a too small gun, it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot and therefore you probably aren't going to practice as much as you should.

Also suck it up and buy a case of range ammo from somewhere like target sports so you don't feel the burn of buying a box at a time from the LGS or god forbid the range. Make sure your gun works and learn how to run it and clean it.

Also recognize that your first gun is only the first gun. For your second, third, or 34th gun you can branch out in to special purpose guns and fun guns.
A subcompact-carry (Shield, P365, etc) is a great second gun.

Welcome to the gang!
THIS!!!

This won't be your last gun purchase so don't try to buy a gun that covers home defense, conceal carry, plinking, competition etc.

And now is the time to "buy it (ammo) cheap and stack it deep". Lots of rebates going on for ammo:
CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket

I would have to spend more than three hundred bucks more than if I could buy it in a free state. It's the price we pay for living in Massachusetts.
Not true at all but I'll leave it at that to avoid derailing the thread....

www.fsguns.com/used will let you select and display inventory by brand, caliber or both. If you call they will hold a used gun for a day or two, with no penalty for bad feelings if you come, look at is, and decide not to buy. I hear some guy on NES wrote that code.
Good selection but JFC you have to wait forever to actually be helped and you're crammed into that shop like cattle.

Back
Top Bottom