• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to purchase first firearm and got delayed from NICS

1994mass

NES Member
went to purchase my first firearm today and got “delayed” on background check. Do these always take 3 days in peoples experience ? Also not sure why it was delayed just picked up my LTC

Last edited:
A bazillion reasons can cause a delay. One of my coworkers gets delayed every single time because his father with the same name was a "bad person." If you start getting into a pattern of delays, apply for a Upin (not the pin that came with your LTC) and that could/should solve the issue

went to purchase my fire firearm today and got “delayed” on background check. Do these always take 3 days in peoples experience ? Also not sure why it was delayed just picked up my LTC
If you didn't, give them your social security # and as much info as you can. When I starting buying guns at 18 with an FID my 4473 always got delayed because there is a guy with my first and last name in my town with a felony who is 3 years older than me. Started giving my SS# and it went away.

If you didn't, give them your social security # and as much info as you can. When I starting buying guns at 18 with an FID my 4473 always got delayed because there is a guy with my first and last name in my town with a felony who is 3 years older than me. Started giving my SS# and it went away.
Yes I gave my social I actually had a couple misdemeanor charges when I was younger(dismissed) and when went to seal my record years later I had the same name and DOB of a guy currently incarcerated in Mississippi and had to get a letter from the sheriff down there stating it wasn’t me haha so it could be that guy I have a very common name

Yes I gave my social I actually had a couple misdemeanor charges when I was younger(dismissed) and when went to seal my record years later I had the same name and DOB of a guy currently incarcerated in Mississippi and had to get a letter from the sheriff down there stating it wasn’t me haha so it could be that guy I have a very common name

Just gotta sit back and wait then.

Don't Upins come with the license? I get a new one every renewal.

Different animal

went to purchase my first firearm today and got “delayed” on background check. Do these always take 3 days in peoples experience ? Also not sure why it was delayed just picked up my LTC

They were probably checking out your browser history and figured "NFW on this guy; just look at this stuff."

I got delayed but like 30 or 45 minutes a few times (the first two or three guns I bought here) then the last gun I bought it went right through. ONLY when I was here, bought a PC carbine after I moved here in georgia and no delay IIRC. I have never had it happen before I moved here.

It’s very weird and doesn’t make sense haha like I was saying it’s my first gun after a long LTC wait and then bam delayed but I went in expecting to get delayed so I was prepared

What is the process.

• You fill out a 4473
  • FFL passes this information to the FBI to run the background
  • The FBI computer does a PARTIAL match of your information against records that COULD be disqualifying (BOLD elements are important)
  • If a match occurs, the status turns to RESEARCHING requiring an actual human (I use the term loosely for FBI contractors) to review your 4473 and the records flagged by the computer
  • IF no human picks up the flagged check within 20 minutes, you get a DELAYED
  • IF the human who picks it is lazy or thinks its more work than they want to do before their next smoke break, you get DELAYED
  • Sometimes they do their job, realize its not you and you get a PROCEED
  • Now that you are DELAYED, they have 3 FULL BUSINESS days to check. So for example you do a background on a saturday, if there are no holidays, the first day the FFL can release to you w/o hearing from the FBI is Thursday

So what might match? Could be an overweight illegal that is 2 feet taller than you that lives In Arizona but has a name similar to yours and a birthday close to yours. The scenario of "its someone else" is most likely when your name is relatively common or close to common (remember, PARTIAL match so john smith is the same as jon smythe is the same as...)

It could be you. If you were EVER arrested and the FBI was transmitted the arrest but not the dropping of charges, its you. If you CWOFed to something here in MA, its you.

This will ALWAYS happen when you do a background. Get a UPIN. Go to Electronic Departmental Order and enter your email at the BOTTOM of the page (the first time is for your records, the bottom is for applying for a UPIN)

What is the process.

• You fill out a 4473
  • The FBI computer does a PARTIAL match of your information against records that COULD be disqualifying (BOLD elements are important)
  • If a match occurs, the status turns to RESEARCHING requiring an actual human (I use the term loosely for FBI contractors) to review your 4473 and the records flagged by the computer
  • IF the human who picks it is lazy or thinks its more work than they want to do before their next smoke break, you get DELAYED
  • Now that you are DELAYED, they have 3 FULL BUSINESS days to check. So for example you do a background on a saturday, if there are no holidays, the first day the FFL can release to you w/o hearing from the FBI is Thursday

So what might match? Could be an overweight illegal that is 2 feet taller than you that lives In Arizona but has a name similar to yours and a birthday close to yours. The scenario of "its someone else" is most likely when your name is relatively common or close to common (remember, PARTIAL match so john smith is the same as jon smythe is the same as...)

It could be you. If you were EVER arrested and the FBI was transmitted the arrest but not the dropping of charges, its you. If you CWOFed to something here in MA, its you.

This will ALWAYS happen when you do a background. Get a UPIN. Go to Electronic Departmental Order and enter your email at the BOTTOM of the page (the first time is for your records, the bottom is for applying for a UPIN)
Yep have a cwof when I’m younger guess I will be waiting !

What is the process.

• You fill out a 4473

My CWOF'd stuff was never an issue. I wasn't arrested for it, might be the diffrence.

If you were ever arrested for anything your chances of getting a delay seem to go up by like 50% even if you were acquitted of the charges.

And yes it's also possible that that guy is the dude that's causing your delay as well you probably just want to get a Federal upin.

I went and got a Upin years back. The process took 17 or 18 months for them to send me the upin. After that I would still get delays randomly. It’s been couple years now without a delay so it does help.

Did you purchase around lunch time or around dinner? Something flaged when the examiner checked your name this could have been for a number of reasons and when that happens, your search has to get kicked up to a supervisor. The supervisor has access to more data then the examiner and in most casses they will be able to see what the added information is and in most casses you will be a proceed. If the supervisor is not available lunch, dinner, bathroom or smoke break the examiner will delay you. The fact that you were not denied is a good sign. The supervisor may end up contacting the dealer latter in the day or the dealer can proceed after 3 working days. I almost always get bumped up to a supervisor delay and then get a proceed. Don't worry it was not a deny.

Back
Top Bottom