• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

you got a pet firearm?

greencobra

NES Member
the one you shouldn't like but do. and surprise, gets a lot of trigger time at the end of the day. mine is a 1911 style pistol i bought on a whim after walking into 4S just to look around and kill time. it was, and still is, a s&w e series in .45 auto. yeah, i'm a 45acp hold out, love the cartridge. the only reason i asked the salesman to take it out of the showcase was...ready...i thought it was a pretty gun. those fish scale slide cuts were new at the time and the pistol just caught my eye. they let me dry fire the gun a couple times and couldn't believe how really nice that trigger was. i'm thinking at the time, this was a mis-marked used gun in the new showcase section and the original owner had it worked on, or it had trigger work while at the factory in the custom shop. but why would it? i've never had the break measured, i don't know how many pounds it is. not wanting to let this one get away, i forked over the credit card and paid the $779 asking price. this was a while ago, don't remember exactly how long i've owned it but gotta be ~ 15 years. i'll have to look it up. i wanted to dress it up a little so i had esmeralda do the grips. the original design was what you see here, but i asked he to leave off the big celtic cross that was overlaid on top of the celtic pattern design. the wood is iron wood. they aged well over the years, i'm diggin' that patina the grips took on.

shooting the pistol...it surprises everyone. a buddy shot it in several bowling pin matches when they were super popular a few years ago and has begged me to sell it to him. i dunno, there's is a pistol he has i'd consider doing an even swap for, but...he's not ready. lol. this pistol is a keeper and shoots way better than i can. i should call and ask smith if they have any info recorded about this guns manufacture. you know, was it ever in the custom shop when it was being made. all of a sudden i feel like shooting it right now. i dunno. anyway, the photo below is said pistol.

it'd be fun to hear of any of your sleeper guns that surprised the hell out of you...and others over the years. show 'em off if you want, maybe you could tell us a little about them if you're so inclined.

20240329_111012_resized.jpg

One gun that I have that I really enjoy shooting, and am somewhat surprised by it, is my Browning 1911-380. It's 85% the size of a full size 1911, is very accurate, easy to shoot, and just a lot of fun. It's made its way into my EDC rotation. Here it is shown with one of my full size 1911s:

full

Frank

the one you shouldn't like but do. and surprise, gets a lot of trigger time at the end of the day. mine is a 1911 style pistol i bought on a whim after walking into 4S just to look around and kill time. it was, and still is, a s&w e series in .45 auto. yeah, i'm a 45acp hold out, love the cartridge. the only reason i asked the salesman to take it out of the showcase was...ready...i thought it was a pretty gun. those fish scale slide cuts were new at the time and the pistol just caught my eye. they let me dry fire the gun a couple times and couldn't believe how really nice that trigger was. i'm thinking at the time, this was a mis-marked used gun in the new showcase section and the original owner had it worked on, or it had trigger work while at the factory in the custom shop. but why would it? i've never had the break measured, i don't know how many pounds it is. not wanting to let this one get away, i forked over the credit card and paid the $779 asking price. this was a while ago, don't remember exactly how long i've owned it but gotta be ~ 15 years. i'll have to look it up. i wanted to dress it up a little so i had esmeralda do the grips. the original design was what you see here, but i asked he to leave off the big celtic cross that was overlaid on top of the celtic pattern design. the wood is iron wood. they aged well over the years, i'm diggin' that patina the grips took on.

shooting the pistol...it surprises everyone. a buddy shot it in several bowling pin matches when they were super popular a few years ago and has begged me to sell it to him. i dunno, there's is a pistol he has i'd consider doing an even swap for, but...he's not ready. lol. this pistol is a keeper and shoots way better than i can. i should call and ask smith if they have any info recorded about this guns manufacture. you know, was it ever in the custom shop when it was being made. all of a sudden i feel like shooting it right now. i dunno. anyway, the photo below is said pistol.

it'd be fun to hear of any of your sleeper guns that surprised the hell out of you...and others over the years. show 'em off if you want, maybe you could tell us a little about them if you're so inclined.

View attachment 867033
That's sharp!

AP1GczOtyLpX7ppcsUaUp5DmA-N5MdRX8cZUE9Za2krAVEyKMVqxknWqwzZhktktFGmL3O0Arkvsuz-02HHEXvvTLn0WzIrGT1Mjv0u9tJsQtYxB5-2eMrVOEE07l-x1LjsiGxX-OkPxJCepPIL6WkGOQhsI=w1718-h1287-s-no-gm

Let me introduce the beat up, 2x4 gripped, down right homely S&W 22A that lives in my range box. It earned that spot by being the pistol I didn't care about at all, that always went bang for me anyway. Rained on, dropped on benches multiple times, dropped in mud puddles, gravel, asphalt concrete - still went bang. My first choice for introducing new shooters to semi-auto pistol, because they can't do anything to it that hasn't already survived.

Picked it up from Valley Sport Center in Easthampton a couple years before they closed. 2008? 2006? No idea. It was in their used case with an embarrassingly low price on it, which caught my eye. I was in there to buy some flies, not guns, but you have to at least look. Kind of beat up, visibly dirty, not an attractive piece at all. Asked about it, they said it had been traded in by a long time customer but I probably didn't want it because he told the shop it had serious extraction problems.

Looking through the case, I could see it didn't have an extractor installed. :) Well, if they're paying that little attention to it, why argue. Bought a bunch of their flies, and talked them down a bit lower for the 22A. It was filthy in and out, cleaned it up and got a new extractor and spring, recoil spring and recoil spacer from S&W. Ran perfectly, continued to run perfectly with whatever random ammo I threw at it. Okay trigger, decent accuracy, not ammo sensitive, mags weren't stupid money. At some point it stopped coming out of the range box between trips and just lived there.

Kind of glad you brought this up, greencobra. If you hadn't, who knows how long before I'd have noticed the missing grip screw. Looks like Numrich bought up a bunch of parts when S&W stopped supporting these. Going to have to get some replacement springs, too, before they disappear. The recoil spacers are unobtanium, so at some point I'll have to make a few. They're a wear item with this pistol, I've put a couple new ones on over the years. I suppose it'll stay in the range box until it doesn't run any more. Probably outlive me!

Guy I used to know had a nice E-series like that, thing shot the nuts. Even now sub 800 for one sounds like a steal.

Closest gun I have to fit the OP criteria is probably my gen 4 G30. My grandmother bought it for me back in 2014 when MA was in another bout of gun control scheming. It isn’t anything special but it’ll hold a place in my safe forever.

View attachment 867033

My pet is the same as yours as performance center scandium E series. My very first shot with it was a dead center X ring.

I don’t shoot or carry it enough. I mostly carry my .45 shield as I don’t care if it gets banged up.

IMG_0514.jpeg

I even went picked up some Mitch Rosen leather for it.

IMG_0713.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom